Contributor
wrote
0 Kudos

Template or something...

Hello,

I am in need of some advice on what software (MS Word, LibreOffice, Word Perfect) that I should be using.  If you know of a good ebook templates or can send one to me that would be great also.  I don't want to waste effort on trying to format page numbers and links at the front of the manuscript as odds are I don't have the right ability in this area.  I simply want to focus on completing the work.

The newest Word Perfect is going to have some epublishing capability and if you have any advice then please let me know.

Thank you,

Anthony

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Re: Template or something...

"I simply want to focus on completing the work."

Then focus.

Really, at this point, that's all you need to do. Write. Worry about the formatting later, preferably when you're done. Any writing program you want to use is good, even if it's pen and paper. And if you don't want to worry about how to format, then don't. There are plenty of people out there (and in here) who know how to do it and do it well.

Hope this has helped :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Anthony,

As Melissa said, don't worry about the formatting. It's easy enough to fix at the end. As for programs, our small publishing company has found that MS Word seems to have little to no difficulty in converting/formatting. We haven't used the others.

The only suggestions on formatting/writing in format are:

1.  Don't double space between paragraphs, instead use the first line indent function. Indent to 0.25 (If you can't do this, just use a tab. Tabs can't be used in ebook formatting, but they are very easy to eliminate with search/replace and they keep it easy to see your paragraphs as you are writing.)

2.  Don't plan on using fancy fonts, they don't show up on ebook readers.

3.  Focus on just writing the best book possible. That is the most important thing.

Caitlind Alexander

LearningIsland.com

Contributor
wrote
0 Kudos

Melissa,

Thank you for the advice and I'll focus on what is important.  I just would like to see the layout as that is motivation on the final idea.

Anthony

Contributor
wrote
0 Kudos

Catlind,

I like your advice and bought a copy of one of your books through your website.  It's impressive that you have accomplished so much.  Do you have editorial experience as well?  I will ultimately be looking for a patient editor, but one who when the manuscript is out there will be ready to help handle the movie scripts and big book offers that will be rolling in. 

Life is a suspense movie ~ From Being the Caterpillar

Anthony

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Anthony,

I worked in a traditional publishing company for many years, working my way up to VP of Development. I currently head LearningIsland.com, which is a very small ebook publisher of children's books. It is a bit of a step down, but I LOVE children's books and it is a growing company.

As for your comment, an editor does not help with "the movie scripts and big book offers that will come rolling in." The selling aspect is covered by an agent. The editor works with the writer to make sure there are no spelling, grammar, plotting, etc. errors in the manuscript. Depending on the type of editor (yes there are different types that focus on different things), they will also look at characterizations, how you have set up your scenes, and everything about your manuscript.

I applaud your optimism on your sales. Just know that 99% of writers do not make a living just writing. They have other jobs on the side to supplement their writing income. This can be a regular day job, speaking engagements, editing jobs, etc. Only about 1% of writers actually live off their royalties alone, and they are the ones who have a number of books out so that people who like their work buy more than one book. If you are getting into this for the money, put on your armor, you are in for a long fight.

Caitlind Alexander

PS: Thank you very much for buying a book. I appreciate it!