New User
spebooks
0 Kudos

Trouble Uploading EPUB

Hi all, this week the Manuscript Upload doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else?

I've uploaded dozens of projects (I assist self-pub authors) with no trouble, and making changes to Book Details is working fine. But when I tried to upload an EPUB to a new project, I received this error:

An Error Occurred Processing Content
FATAL: referenced resource missing in the package

I've tried reconverting and reuploading; uploading in a new project; and uploading the HTML file rather than the EPUB. Nothing works.

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

Contributor
Rhynedahll
0 Kudos

Re: Trouble Uploading EPUB

It may be that your .opf file has a link to a file that is not present in the .epub. You could check the .opf file in Sigil.
Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

I have been having the same problem for three days now, trying to upload a Word .doc that is simply four (exactly the same) word docs pasted end to end to publish as a "collection" of four books I already successfully uploaded using those same individual docs.

I then converted to HTML, and got the same "FATAL" error; used Callibre to convert to ePub, which works on my PC reader and side-loaded Nook, but that also returned the same error.

So, it errors whether i upload .doc, .docx, ePub or HTML, even though I had no problem whatsoever uploading and converting at two other vendors.

Again, there is absolutely NOTHING changed or different about this doc file (or its various conversions) from the doc files that it contains. the file size is only 6.3MB, well below the Nook Press limit.

I believe something is seriously wrong with the manuscript upload system, as several people I have spoken with have this exact same problem over many days but no such problem uploading their same files to other vendors.

Of course, it would be helpful if the error gave some kind of hint as to where it thinks the file might be lacking.

There is nothing wrong with my file, unless Nook has added some unknown requirement since I uploaded the four files this one contains two weeks ago.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

oneadem wrote:

I have been having the same problem for three days now, trying to upload a Word .doc that is simply four (exactly the same) word docs pasted end to end to publish as a "collection" of four books I already successfully uploaded using those same individual docs. 

No matter what the reason for your issue is, repeatedly posting your problem over and over in different threads isn't going to solve it. Please stop. 

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

Since several thrads already exist and since no resolution is forthcoming, it is possible that someone in one of the threads may suggest a solution.

i am offering the details of my particular problem within these threads on the off chance someone will recognize the problem and suggest a fix.

i also offer the specifics in the threads I have found so that everything I have tried will be out there, so the responses will not be to try everything that has already been tried.

it seems to me that the bigger problem here is not where I post my comments but that Nook Press has failed to address the issue.

ONLY Nook Press is exhibiting this problem. The same .doc file that Nook Press errors out on has been easily uploaded and converted on KDP, Kobo and Smashwords. Clearly, the problem lies somewhere other than with the file.

A simple "We recognize there is a problem and are working to resolve it" would at least let us know it's being addressed, but all I see is various versions of "check the file."

I will post until I receive an answer. this is business, not a hobbyist chat group.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith

Keriflur-

Hear, Hear!

Oneadem-

What you don't seem to understand is that we all see the same threads as you. You're just copying and pasting same three paragraphs to the same people over and over and, I'm sorry, but we have no other ideas that will result in a resolution that you will be satisfied with.

I'm sorry you're not finding any answers, but in here, we're all authors helping other authors.

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

If you read my comments, although they may contain similar information, I have never copied and pasted anything. each new comment has been written in the moment. copy and paste them yourself, side by side, and compare the words.

This isn't a matter of offering something with which I "will be satisfied"; it's a matter of Nook Press not working properly and my attempts to ferret out a solution. look at the dates on some of these comments--some are from a year ago some are more current, some are from today, and they all point to the exact same error occuring. and I also offer that not one commenter has written that anything suggested has resolved their issue..

Please don't accuse me of copying and pasting simply because I am not simply willing to let an obvious systemic problem drop and leave others to fight through the same problem.

I have purchased several Nooks since their debut, have influenced dozens of others to purchase them for themselves and for others, and have written books that I hope will be purchased on multiple platforms, but if Nook's publication engine is going to add to its own limitations, Kindle will have an easier job stealing the B&N readership until Nook collapses and B&N along with it.

I prefer to find solutions. I am sorry my unwillingness to just accept "it's the .opf file" or "it's something in the file" as the answer, when, as I have stated, I tried the original and already accepted in its separate book forms .dc file, the .docx file, the HTML file, none of which have an .opf component, besides a working ePub that functions flawlessly on my Nook. those facts suggest the problem is not on my end, but with the system.

Meanwhile, since using the same .doc file to publish to KDP two days ago, I have received sales but can't even get NP to acknowledge the same file.

Sorry if my determination to solve this irritates some.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith

[ Edited ]

LOL, Someone needs to take a chill-pill!

Look, we understand you're frustrated. We get it, we really do, but repeating the same things over and over and over and over again, will only cause people to get defensive, not solve anything. I get that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but sometimes that same squeaky wheel just gets tossed into the recycle bin and forgotten.

Yes, I also understand that those threads were old. Does that mean the issue was never resolved? No, it simply means that same problem has reared its ugly head again and has caught you in its sharp teeth. (need some floss?)

We all love to get/find solutions to our publishing problems. Who doesn't? But boarding on rude isn't the way to finding said solutions. Also, not everyone who finds a solution comes back in here to share.

So what if you weren't copying and pasting. Get all bent outta shape over it, why doncha.

Frequent Contributor
LearningIsland
0 Kudos

Plus, you are talking to other authors, not to the Nook team or anyone who works there. They don't read these forums. How would you feel if someone kept asking you to fix a problem that wasn't yours? In essence that's what you're doing...over and over. You're asking writers to fix something when you should be sending your emails to Nook support, not to other writers. And yes, it will often take several times to get them to answer your questions or resolve your problem, but they are the ones that you should be bugging, not us.