Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Unwelcome Mystery Spaces in the Text!

[ Edited ]

Ok.  Everything is perfect, ready for me to put my book on sale.  Except, in the previews there are two places where I have about a third of a page blank in the middle of my text.  I have tried everything to eliminate the blank spaces.  I have "removed format" etc., and on and on, even eliminating all extra return strokes at the offending place, but to no avail.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

is Re: Unwelcome Mystery Spaces in the Text!

Oh, this would make me have a hissy. The only thing I can think of is to go to top of the chapter. Check the spacing, I use 1.5 and then use the format painter and run it down the entire chapter. If it doesn't do it the first time, run it again. That has solved some gap problems for me, but I'm not sure if it will work. I read library books on my Nook and sometimes there are gaps between words at places.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Re: is Re: Unwelcome Mystery Spaces in the Text!

[ Edited ]

Strayer,

Yes.  I've spent 12 years and thousands of dollars to get the novel where it is and then...  Hissy ain't in it.  I'll try your suggestion, or try to try.  I don't have a problem of spaces between words; it's more like large blank chunks between lines. I've actually stripped all formatting from the sections and started over.  More than once.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

You can always put the entire document into Notepad. That takes out every tiny little bit of formatting. Then you can put it back into Word. Format again. If you have Word 2007 or 2010, save as Word 97-2003. I don't know if you know that, but the code in the later Words can screw up the ebook. You'llget it right and then we'll celebrate. Ask questions if you need.

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

Re: Unwelcome Mystery Spaces in the Text!

eBook formatting is strange and takes a bit of getting used to.  What kind of file are you uploading?  epub or .doc?

Do you have excessive "enter"s as line breaks?  If so, you should use the page break option instead(super easy to do).  You shouldn't have more than one line break through using the "enter" key anywhere in your document, or it can cause issues like that.

I know that the PubIt! formatting guide says not to use page breaks, but I use them fine and it works out, so I think that's outdated info.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Strayer,

I use Word 2003.  I'll try Notepad to strip out formatting and then reformat.  Thanks for the idea.

I went ahead and published the book, but I'll fix it before I promote it in any way.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

TSCerys,

My file is .doc which I assume converts to .epub when I load it onto Pubit.

I use "section breaks" rather than "page breaks" as per the instructions.  I have a few line spaces and never more than one in any spot, but they don't seem to be related to the problem, because I still have it when I take them out in the vicinity.

Maybe I have a few "page breaks" that I missed, because that would explain it.  Except I already looked.  I'll look again.

Contributor
montana17
0 Kudos

I don't  think any of the above suggestions will work. I noticed this in August with a book I uploaded for a client. I tried all you suggested, with no correction, and finally looked at the epub files. It seems the processor is now breaking the uploads into several .html files (it used to be just one), and wherever one ends there will be a large gap in the book and the next will start on another page. I checked previous uploads I'd done during the past two years. Until this summer, they were processed into only one .html.

I tried consolidating all the .htmls (and adjusting the .ncx files to match) and re-uploading. That didn't work--it was still broken down into smaller files.

Since then, I have been going into the epub and moving  remnant text to a chapter break from the top of the "next" .html into the bottom of the previous .html; this allows the break to occur at normal place.

It's a first-class hassle for sure.  If someone finds an easier solution I want to know.

Good luck.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Montana7,

Thanks for the ideas. 

I wonder, is working in epub as you describe is as simple as copy and paste across breaks, because anything beyond that is beyond me.

Otherwise it would seem that Pubit is shooting itself in the foot.

Contributor
montana17
0 Kudos

You can copy and paste, but have to be certain you don't cut out some of the CSS formatting. It's best to study the CSS file first, so you'll know which coding to leave in place, and which to move.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Montana17,

You were right. Notepad didn't help.

I looked at the epub formatting guide and it's entirely too intimidating.

The process should be simpler.  I'll e-mail Pubit! to see what they think.  If they wan't to attract self publishing do-it-myselfers, it seems like they need a fix in their conversion process.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

So, I emailed Pubit and got a form letter back telling me to go to the support board here and also referring me to five or so huge companies for assistance.  One of them looked Chinese and another had branches in India.   My only problem is three half-page sized blank chunks.   And the fault is nowhere in my text.  In fact, the chunks float around as I tinker with them.

Contributor
montana17
0 Kudos

E-mailing "support" never gets anything but a form reply with suggested outsorce contractors. I agree, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

The epub is intimidating at first. But, although laid out messily (with no line breaksbetween codes) it's pretty straigtforward. It just takes some getting used to.

I surely wish the process were simpler.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

I installed Sigil and converted my book file into filtered html, then brought it up in book view.  All my previous formatting had been stripped out, which means to fix three small things I have to reformat the entire novel.  Then I also have two more books to go.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

I figured out how to make it work without becoming an Epub Master.  I'll put section breaks before the imposed chunks of space and fit in PHOTOGRAPHS between the breaks and the last text. I experimented for four hours this evening and it works. My books are fiction, but I've always wanted to illustrate them with photos of non-fictional places to give more realism.  The photos will go with the cover art.  Here is the best reason I can think of to include illustrations.  Beat the impersonal corporate machine.  Improvise and adapt.

Contributor
montana17
0 Kudos

Did you do this through Sigil or in your original .doc?

I hope it works.

Let us know. Maybe I'll start illustrating, too. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

I'm adding photos into my original documents.  So far it looks good in the nook "emulator." But the update/edit is still processing.  At the least the feature signals the gap is associated with the illustration and therefore "might" mean something to the reader other than what it is, a glitch.

The problem seems primarily in the Nook for PC venue.   The emulator moves as slow as molasses, so it's a pain to use.  My wife thought I was sleeping last night as I clicked along with eyes closed.

I take a lot of photos, and with those of my traveling children, I have a good bit of material.

If this works, I'll mark the problem as solved.

Contributor
montana17
0 Kudos

I hope this works for you. 

Just a warning, for some people, the processing has recently been a problem. I have a title that's been processing for more than a month.

Good luck.

Contributor
chaoticterrain
0 Kudos

Montana17,

A month?  Really?  At that rate it would seem that it's not really processing but only says so.

Have you tried re-publishing it to see if a new attempt will really get into the processing system?  And have you published titles since that Have Been posted, while the earlier one still waits?

Yeah, the first book I put on came online within 24 hours.  The next two... I'm still waiting.  And waiting.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I have pictures and text. Used page break and it worked. I stayed with Word 2003 and saved as .doc.
Glad you got it working. It takes a bit to get the hang of it and then you can do the books without a lot of fuss.
B&N says processing is 24 to 72 hours as a norm.