New User
lissie45
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Uploading an ePub - Issues I can't Reproduce In Any Other ePub Viewer

[ Edited ]

OK I created an ePub file for a client and he and I are having issues uploading it to Nookpress. The file passes the  ePub validation at http://validator.idpf.org/ 

We are viewing the file in the NookPress Previewer. The issues we have: 

Incorrect Table of Contents (NCX ) 

There is a correctly coded NCX file in the ePub - but instead the previiewer appears to be parsing the file and picking up some other reference points 

IMG_1021.JPG

Footnote Navigation 

The book has a several hundred endnotes throughout it. The endnotes are substantial.  They are linked and work correctly on ADE, Calibre etc. However on the Nook clicking the footnote reference e.g. [34] should take you tootnote 34 - however it only jumps to the start of the endnote section. Indeed the same thing happens in reverse: returning from the footnote should return to the point in the text, instead it returns to the start of the chapter. 

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

Any help would be appreciated - I can find no mention of what Nookpress actually does to ePubs that are uploaded, so it makes it extermely difficult to do any further trouble shooting

Regards 

Lis 

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Re: Uploading an ePub - Issues I can't Reproduce In Any Other ePub Viewer

Manuscript Editor takes perfectly good EPUB files and makes them buggy. You can't get an ebook into the Nook Press system without dealing with Manuscript Editor. So if you still have a Pubit account, do everything from there, don't bother with the Nook Press interface.

Until/unless the software for Nook Press gets fixed, trying to fix and troubleshoot your files in NP is a waste of time.

New User
lissie45
0 Kudos

Unfortunately - no I don't think the client does have a Pubit account - and it looks like if you try to sign up it redirects to Nook Press :-( 

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

For what it may or may not be worth, here is my suggestion. Go ahead and publish the ebook (if you can) with Pubit or NOOK Press, and read it with a NOOK, not the Previewer. If not satisfied, make corrections, republish and read it again with the NOOK. Ignore the Previewer.

In view of the Forum published difficulties encountered in attempting publication for the NOOK, and the decline in  ebooks Reported purchased, both since NOOK Press, I question the wisdom of haqving anything new to do with NOOK Press at this time.

I have been and am a BandN supporter, but IF BandN wants to stay in the ebook business, then it is essential that BandN fix the new problems in publication and marketing introduced by NOOK Press. If this is not done, the ebook business of BandN must inevitably decline.

Contributor
jvargas
0 Kudos

In Nookpress, prior to publishing a project/title, you are given the option of publishing 'the version you worked on in the editor' or 'the original epub file' . Try uploading/publishing the original epub file. Once it hits the shelves you can verify it working as desired on an actual device. Hope this helps

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

The one time I tried that, I still wound up with a garbled-up EPUB file for sale. I had to go into Pubit and resubmit the verified file.

That's why I'm telling people, If you want to sell an ebook on Barnes & Noble, avoid Nook Press at all costs, if you can.

New User
BlissH7
0 Kudos

Glad to see I am not the only one having issues with the "new" previewer. I say new because I have published more than 100 eBooks for NOOK and never had any problems until they came up with this bigger/better version. Now I can not get any file to upload and preview correctly; Word, ePub, html. You are lucky. The most I have ever gotten out of it are 2 images of the cover of my eBook. I wish they had left well enough alone.

Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

How does one access thier old PubIt! account? What is the link?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

PubIt has gone to the BitBucket In The Sky. B&N declares that Nook Press is *snicker, guffaw* an "improvement" over PubIt.
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

Honestly, I haven't had trouble with Nook Press, at least not as far as getting my manuscript formatting unmunched by their Manuscript Editor. If you post your own version instead of selecting the Manuscript Editor version, you'll be all right.

Having said that, overall Nook Press is total crap as far as the interface goes. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. So when they're actually up and running, I've learned how to upload an ePub without it being touched by the Manuscript Editor. You can publish "as-is." I've learned by trial and error.

For me, I had to get the CSS reset code right to keep Nook Press from throwing line breaks between each paragraph. I had to pay someone to show me how to avoid that. I nearly lost all my hair!

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

I found out the hard way that if you even look at your book in "Manuscript Editor," it doesn't matter what you click afterward, B&N sells a corrupted file.

I haven't uploaded a story to B&N since they closed down PubIt. B&N is hiding the IndiePub stories anyway, so what ebooks I still have up are selling nearly at zero, so boycotting B&N isn't hurting me that much.

When customers want my stuff in EPUB format, I tell them to go to Kobo.

Reluctant, if you've figured out how to work around B&N's stupid software, I have a request. Please start a new thread and tell us in detail, step by step, what exactly you do to submit an EPUB and how you sidestep Nook Press's Gotchas.
Inspired Contributor
TheReluctantCritic
0 Kudos

My book is titled "Return To Middle C."

I have verified that the ePub is the same BEFORE and AFTER Nook Press processing. All I can suggest is that you buy the book and tear it apart to look at the CSS file and the HTML files and the rest of it. The book is not DRM'ed. I know most Nooks have a hidden partitition, but after buying the book you can download the ePub from your My Nook page on B&N.

I know from having participated in the MobileRead forums that Nook Press will, in most instances, apply their own style sheet to the book. In fact, some Nook devices themselves have style sheets that will override the publisher's intent, even though they supposedly use ADE to render the ePub.

To spare you from spending the five bucks of buying the book, I will at least post the portion of my CSS file that eradicated the paragraph breaks:

@namespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";

@page {
    margin-top: 1em;
    margin-bottom: 1em;
}

/* Overall Book CSS */

body {
    margin-left: 5%;
    margin-right: 5%;
}

p {
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    line-height: 1.2em;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 2em;
}

The margins are probably better set with pixels instead of percentages. That was argued heavily on MobileRead. The rest of the CSS is minimal, so that's why I just posted the portion that fixed my problem.

I only write fiction. I hate to think of the pain involved with non-fiction books with illustrations and images. Lord Almighty....

G

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Isn't @page used when you're specifying print layout? So why are you specifying it here? Is there some particular @page configuration that Nook Press needs, or is this for when you output your HTML file to a printer?