Reader 2
cyberpen
0 Kudos

Warning Statement by BN on Pubit Books

I have noticed that BN includes the following statement on all Pubit books product description page. I think that statement is inapropriate and disrespectful to independent authors. It shouldn't be there. If I were a customer I wouldn't buy a book that has such a statement on its product description area. They don't use such a warning statement for any other books. I think BN should immediately remove that statement from all Pubit entries.

What do you all think?

Here is the statement:

"About Self-Published Content
Barnes & Noble receives content from many independent authors and publishers. If you find any content that is inappropriate, please report it to Barnes & Noble."

Contributor
LauralynnElliott
0 Kudos

Re: Warning Statement by BN on Pubit Books

Yeah, I noticed that. It was insulting to me, too. If they are worried about content, they should put that statement on every book they sell and shouldn't single out "independent" authors and publishers. I'm sure there is a lot of inappropriate content in books published by well known publishing houses, too. Was that statement there before this big mess with Amazon and that book about pedophilia?

Contributor
MiMiParis
0 Kudos

I also find that comment completely insulting. In the next book I am publishing, "Phunny," I curse like a sailor....appropriately!

~~Phunny~~
http://tinyurl.com/23vcb53
Contributor
Tonysz
0 Kudos

That statement is there because of Amazon's pedophilia-gate kind of things. What they mean with that statement is that B&N doesn't actually verify the content of the books uploaded. I wonder why they insist that they are paying 'royalties' and why they call themselves 'publishers' since they don't even bother to check the content of the books they're putting on sale. What they actually do is to put our books in their store and charge a commission for every sale, stating that if you happen to be a customer who had the bad luck of buying crap, that's your problem and not their fault. And so it goes.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My complaint is that if they are going to do this, then they should stick it on all self-published books. Not just on our ebooks. I noticed a paperback published by Xlibris does not contain this statement. I sent an email pointing this out. Also, not all the big online stores are doing this. I do appreciate having my books on here. But come on...let's be fair!

What's more, some of us here have been publishing in the traditional way for a while. I have a lot of work that is not self-published out there. And I am sure I am not alone in this. Either way, previously published, traditionally published, or both -- This is insulting! Put it on all the self-published books!

Elaine
Contributor
Tonysz
0 Kudos

Of course it's insulting. And arrogant. But I don't think that the warning should be there for all self-published titles. It shouldn't be there at all. And if B&N is concened about its customers' sensibilities, they should verify the content before letting a title go live.

Contributor
allurebooks
0 Kudos

Also why does it have to be smack dab on top . . . ABOVE the description?

Amazon has this type of thing also however it toward the bottom of the page. If someone needs to use it they will find it.

Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

I agree with both of you, Allurebooks and BeWrite. It shouldn't be there at all. Might even cost us some sales, if a person stops and thinks about it. I guess I missed the one on Amazon. I looked and didn't see it. Guess they have it hidden really well. Gonna look again. This is insulting. Your are right.

Elaine
Frequent Contributor
sayndee
0 Kudos

I received an email saying that they ARE going to change the statement, and it will not be in any way insulting to us. It was a very nice email. And they thanked me, us, for our input. I am glad they are listening to us.

Elaine
New User
KenKL
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble has free speech and free press rights too.  This right includes what they prefer NOT be published just as much as what can be published.  Two other things: (1) PUBIT belongs to B&N.  It's theirs.  And (2)  B&N is not the Government.  Our constitutional rights are protection against the Government -- not other people and non-Government entities.

Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

It's simply a basic CYA boilerplate - and I'm fine with it. The same type of boilerplates are used throughout various industries. It shouldn't come as any surprise.

Printed book publishers are more liable for the content than resellers. Your not going to find, or get, the same treatment as publishing companies. Period.

PubIt is a product of B&N, so they are far more directly liable. B&N also does not screen every word or image in each book submitted.

Frequent Contributor
Ms_Kitty
0 Kudos

Same here - it really doesn't matter to me.

I've read a few self-published book that I wish had ratings like "Rated X for sex and violence."

Would have saved me some money. :smileyhappy: