Frequent Contributor
kateharp
0 Kudos

What is the offical image optimization guidelines for INSIDE the book?

pixels, dpi for full screen?

"How to Publish Your Article on the Kindle and Nook"
http://howtobook.blogspot.com/ | kindle.harper@gmail.com
Reader 4
Michael_Yu
0 Kudos

Re: What is the offical image optimization guidelines for INSIDE the book?

I would like to know also, but no one seems to have the answer.

Frequent Contributor
kateharp
0 Kudos

I'm SO GLAD to hear you say that.  I've spent all morning looking and am going on the side of being a crazy person.

"How to Publish Your Article on the Kindle and Nook"
http://howtobook.blogspot.com/ | kindle.harper@gmail.com
Contributor
VillainVivi
0 Kudos

for the most part, it doesn't really matter as long as you follow the ePub formatting guides.  Keep in mind that the end user can resize the text, margins, and a few other things to their liking, or they can go with the format you published the book in.  Personally, I tend to just leave my stuff at the defaults for Word, and when I preview them, they look fine.

When I read, I tend to make the font as small as it will go and I keep the margins as far out as possible, so it fills the screen.  This goes for both my NookColor and my iPhone app.

Currently working on my first book "Perumbra".
Planned release: 6/30/2011 (or sooner if I find more time!)
Frequent Contributor
rmsmi
0 Kudos

It's in the PubIt! ePub Formatting Guide under:

VI. Image optimization

The maximum viewing size of the nook screen is 600 x 730 pixels.

Images should be optimized for web delivery and can either be PNG, JPG or GIF. The choice of format is optional and should be based on a compromise of image quality and file size. Typically, GIF supports a maximum of 256 colors while JPG supports 16.7 million. PNGs support 24 bit color.

Cover images supplied for marketing purposes typically range between 500x600 to 600x730 pixels.

New User
CFG17
0 Kudos

I am new to all of this and feel like giving up because of several issues that I can't seem to get a real answer to. I am really hoping that I may get some real help here.

I am very confused in regards to the required cover image size. All of my images are JPG. I see it said here that the cover image should be 500x600 to 600x730 pixels, which makes sence to me. However, I am extremely frustrated over how to create a cover image with a file size of 5KB up to 2MB when my cover image has to be as quoted in Barnes & Noble's Pubit Support info as " The sides must be between 750 pixels and 2000 pixels in length". This is an extremely large amount of memory, or am I missing something here? When I go to save the image of this size, my software program warns me that this image is of a very large amount of memory and doesn't want to save it. Am I doing something wrong? HELP PLEASE!

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
JCNoelle
0 Kudos

This is confusing to me too. I've been doing 750x2000, but if we can make them smaller, can I do that and still get it to upload?

J.C. Noelle
www.jcnoelle.webs.com
http://immortaldesires.weebly.com
Frequent Contributor
CodyFord
0 Kudos

The answers are in the formatting guide.

Download the formatting guide here:

http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=support

Make your image 600 X 730 pixels and you'll be fine - even if it is a photograph.

You basically have to know how to resize an image to the above pixel sizes in the program you are using. Even a photograph should be below 2 Meg if adjusted to the above size.

Save it as a .jpg file. (For anyone using photoshop make sure you save the image for the web.)

Upload it before you upload your book file.

I build covers for other authors, and will do so for a fee, but I'm here primarily to help others do it themselves, not market my services. I'll do as much as I can to walk people through it.

:-)

Fitzgiggles Saves The Day!

Contributor
Ellie12
0 Kudos

Please could you clarify what size the images inside the book should be. Is 600 x 730 pixels and 92 dpi correct?

Contributor
Ellie12
0 Kudos

Cody - You say 600 x 730 pixels. Is that also the size for Nook color in 2013?

I want to publish a picture book on Nook Color. I would really appreciate your advice as to the best dimension for the Photoshop pictures before i turn them into JPGs:

pixel dimensions width and length

Document size width and length

Resolution.

Best wishes Ellie

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Those dimensions are for the Nook 1st Gen. For Color and Tablet (and the Kindle equivalent versions) 600x900 is perfect. Go over those dimensions at all and you'll have blank pages that follow each image.

600x730 will work, but each image will be short.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy: