New User
Fabulosity
0 Kudos

book covers

HI...IM A LITTLE NEW TO THIS...IM WORKING ON MY FIRST BOOK FOR PUBIT....AND IM WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE CAN....OR HOW CAN I DO THE BOOK COVER PART....LIKE HOW DO I MAKE ONE?

Contributor
MichelleBono

Re: book covers

If you do a search on Google for "eBook Cover Design" there are quite a few places that offer this service. I've seen prices anywhere from $100 to $600 for an eBook cover...more if it's for print. If you have PhotoShop or InDesign, it's pretty easy to create a cover...if you have an eye for design. Really nice images can be found for at istock.com. These images are royalty free and can be purchased for around $10 to $20 each, depending on resolution. You'll want to check the usage agreement to verify, but I'm fairly certain you can use these images for up to 100,000 imprints. After that, there are extended use charges.

If you'd like some assistance creating a cover, I'd be happy to help. I'm an author and a professional graphic designer. You can email me via my website at www.MichelleBono.com. There's also an image of my book cover there as well.

Hope this helps,

Michelle

Author--The Last Duchess of Havenhurst

Contributor
EugoPub
0 Kudos

Michelle,

I'm not a graphic artist, but I know a way of getting free use of pictures that you can enhance with any program like Photoshop Elements. www.creativecommons.org will search Yahoo's Flickr for pictures that are avaiable for commercial use with or without alteration. Then all you have to do is have a yahoo account and contact the owner of the picture. I have 10 short stories and three novels and have only been turned down once. All they want is to be given credit in your book. Check my photostream under EugoPub to see the covers. Flickr has also generated sales, so there is some value in marketing there for all writers. I'm a member of a writing organization that helps other writers for free. I'd be glad to help you through the process.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Creative Commons licenses

[ Edited ]

EugoPub wrote:

www.creativecommons.org will search Yahoo's Flickr for pictures that are avaiable for commercial use with or without alteration. Then all you have to do is have a yahoo account and contact the owner of the picture.

A caution about Creative Commons licenses. Those licenses specifically do not claim that the licensor has any right at all to license the work, nor that subsidiary rights (model releases, etc.) have been obtained. You must negotiate with the licensor to get assurance that all required rights are being licensed, and to pin down other terms such as the duration of the license and how you can alter the image (cropping, overlaying with text, etc.).

Retain the final agreement for your records. It's very easy for the licensor to change the license later and then claim that you used the work without proper license. Personally, I'd want a signed paper document.

New User
Fabulosity
0 Kudos

thanks hun...and i will be contacting you if i need further assistance...and im going to check out all the suggestions that you offered....they sound very interesting...and thanks for giving me your email

New User
Fabulosity
0 Kudos

special thanks to everyone that gave me advice on how to do a book cover and i will be using some of you guys ideas....thanks for responding...

Contributor
BrianJackson
0 Kudos

I buy my cover art from www.iStockPhoto.com.  I pay anywhere from $15 to $45 an image and receive the rights to use the image as an eBook cover.

Many of the images you can purchase make great covers in themselves.  Simply use Picture It or some other graphics tool that came preloaded on your computer to lay a title over it.  See The First Book of Dreams: Metropolis for an example.

I use a tool called The GIMP to create most of my covers from multiple images.  This tool is free and could be best described as Photoshop Lite.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
CancerGroup
0 Kudos

I do my own. If any one wants a 3D cover of their road kill, let me know.

I charge a reason $19 per  3D book

Take a look at my own books and you decide.

http://tiny.cc/0xvbt

Thanks,

Michael

Frequent Contributor
CancerGroup
0 Kudos

This is a better choice http://tiny.cc/33r76