New User
normanjohn
0 Kudos

formatting messed up in nook for PC reader

I just uploaded revised versions of two related novels to nookpresscom. When I preview the books on the preview reader on the nook press website they look fine. But the epub files I download from nookpress.com are messed up when viewed on my computer with nook for PC.

How can I know if the files the customers purchase are going to be ok?

1. cover image looks choppy in nook for PC
  2. chapter ten link in TOC is broken, not a hyperlink
  3. some linked words in the novel that are linked to their entry in the glossary at the end of the book are messed up. Instead of the one word being highlighted the whole sentence is.
  4. The entire glossary is highlighted-underlined but clicking on what look like hypertext doesn't go anywhere.

I viewed one of the files in Sigil and it showed the chapter ten TOC link broken but it doesn't show the other two issues 3 and 4.

New User
theequestrianvagabond
0 Kudos

Re: formatting messed up in nook for PC reader

My formatting was also totally messed up.

*AFTER* I published 3 short stories (they looked perfect), a friend bought one and the formatting is completely screwed up. Words outside the margin that she couldn't read, even if she made the font the smallest size possible. I went back to the short stories that I published, and re-reviewed the manuscripts (for the thousandth time) on my Mac Nook and I not only saw words outside the margin, but WORDS ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. Unbelievable!  Later I went back to check - went through the same process, and once again, everything looks completely normal. What the heck!?

New User
theequestrianvagabond
0 Kudos

I took a screen capture, but no way to attach the image here.

New User
normanjohn
0 Kudos

I think there's some sort of conversion problem with the nookpress. I don't remember having this problem with the old Pubit system.

The formatting in my novel is ok now, since I removed links of special words to their entry in a glossary in the back (I gave up on that), but the covers look choppy in the nook for PC reader. I don't know if the nookpress system is reformatting it badly or if I need to try a different size-dimensions for the cover image.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Hi there.

Just an FYI, you don't ever want to base your final formatting results on the Nook for PC viewer or the previewer inside Nook Press. They're not accurate when it comes to an actual Nook device. Also, skip NP's formatting services. It'll make a headache come on faster than a blow to the head. You should, if possible, upload a fully formatted epub and then select 'keep the original epub uploaded' when given the choice. I believe BN has a great idea by giving us the manuscript editor, but until they work out all the bugs, that's all it is. A great idea.

I hope I've helped! :smileyhappy:

New User
theequestrianvagabond
0 Kudos

Thanks Melissa...

I was previewing on my Mac Nook, which I know now is a mistake... although I was not using NP's formatting. I had uploaded a fully formatted epub and did select "keep the original epub uploaded." It was Adobe Digital Editions where the hideous formatting problems showed up. Wish I could attach a picture!

I just yanked my books off Nook/BnN. I will probably stick to Amazon, where I didn't have any formatting problems!

Frequent Contributor
TomRichardson
0 Kudos

Equestrian, I want to make sure I understand you correctly. This is what you did?

1) You submitted a formatted EPUB file. (Question: Had you checked it beforehand with EPUBCHECK?)

2) Rather than make any changes in "Manuscript Editor," you checked "Submit the original EPUB file."

3) You downloaded B&N's version of your EPUB file. In theory, their file and yours should have been the same.

4) When you viewed the B&N-version EPUB file in Adobe Digital Editions, the file was corrupted or unreadable.

New User
theequestrianvagabond
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

1). I submitted an EPUB file. I had not checked it beforehand with EPUBCHECK. I just tried this, and for my 3 stories I get a Warning... indecipherable for me other than "should conform to unique-identifier in content.opf" which I don't know what that means!

2). I did not make any changes in "Manuscript Editor", I did check "Submit the original EPUB file."

3). Yes... and

4). The downloaded B&N's version of my EPUB file, and my original EPUB file, look fine on my Mac Nook (they still do). It's on Adobe Digital Editions that both files are corrupted. And apparently what my friend got on her (non-Mac) hand Nook when she bought one of the stories - unreadable words outside the margin. (She didn't buy the story where words/paragraphs are superimposed on each other)

NookPress help suggested I try uploading a .doc instead of an EPUB, but with a .doc, the paragraph indents and table of contents are messed up, and last chapter break is missing, and also no way to preview a .doc on APE to double check.

What the heck am I doing wrong???