Frequent Contributor
JMChristopher
0 Kudos

Re: "Exciting News on the Horizon" - Any guesses?

EinsteinPD

I've been with KDP for about 2 years now... and they have NEVER since I've been with them had phone or chat.

Again, I also think you are deluded (go ahead an report me to a moderator like the child you are), because if you look at numbers... the Big Six are publishing less and less print books each year, and they are making the shift to ebooks. Every book they publish in print is also as an ebook. Now, while ebooks I think only account for currently about 20 - 25% of the total publishing industry, that number has been on the rise since the iPad hit the market and has continued to jump with the Kindle, Nook and other tablets. Now, I can debate this all day long, but frankly, you aren't worth my time, sir.

Oh... by the way... I have 75 ebooks... and 10 books in print... and I am making damn good money on BN and Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

EinsteinPD:

I'll try to make it brief:

Your paragraph 1 is entierely based on assumption.

Your paragraph 2 inplies that the big six aren't publishing ebooks, this is incorrect. CDs are more profitable than digital music but you can find any album released on CD also in digital form. You also seem to imply that making available ebooks that don't sell costs the companies some considerable amount because it adds more need for server space on the websites. The cost per ebook to make available on any of the given retailers is miniscule, even more so for Amazon who has a division of their company which provides web hosting services.

Paragraph 3 is faulty logic and based on assumption. Amazon sells a lot more than ebooks and one of the biggest reasons they often show small profits or none is because of the amount they put into research and expansion. Considering Amazon doesn't release numbers on ebook sales, you have no way of drawing any conclusion about it's profitability to the company. You said Amazon was donwgraded recently and based on the content of your reply you seem to attribute any downgrade to Amazon stock entirely to their Kindle/ebook division, that's absurd. Additionally the downgrade you reference, by JPMorgan, was from overweight to neutral. So while technically it was 'downgraded' it's not a downgrade to a negative status, they're simply saying "if you own it, hold it, we have some small concerns we'd like to see change before we can say it's a buy."

Slightly the same story for B&N - You expect ebook sales to carry the company entirely and to cover all losses in any other area. You bring up B&N's buyout offer so let me respond to previous comments made in this thread. Nook Media is a subsidiary of B&N which consists of the Nook business and the college bookstores. The comment that this division didn't show a profit recently is attributed to the cost of building Nooks and (presumably) selling them below cost. That's obviously by design as the money should be made back in sales of ebooks. The buyout offer for the rest of B&N is by the chairman and founder of B&N (which is different than saying a random company is trying to buy it out, intentions are generally different). If he were to buy B&N then the college bookstores and Nook division (called Nook Media) would not cease to exist, especially not with the partnership with Microsoft and their 300 million investment. That notion is silly.

Paragraph 4 you try to draw the conclusion that because (what amounts to) a tiny fraction of ebook authors complaing about disappearing sales that this means the ebook business is in bad shape. Again, bad assumption and faulty logic. For one their's a lot more competition for authors today than yesterday and there will be more tomorrow than there is today. Secondly you have no way of knowing what the authors who are complaining wrote, whether it is good, whether they market, what their sales were before or are now. Freebie downloads aren't gong to crush the market because like you, retailers won't make $ off free books. If this were a big issue for the retailers, they'd curb the practice.

Paragraph 5, I'm going to quote: "If you have any factual information, you are welcome to post it."   If YOU have any factual information you are welcome to post it, but nothing you've posted is factualy, it is your personal assumptions based on incomplete information that some of which are conclusions that are not backed by the facts(see above).

Have a nice day,

SF

EinsteinPD wrote:

JMChristopher, the poor srvice both Amazon and BandN provide their Indie authors is an indication their ebook divisions are not profitable.Within the last year Amazon eliminated KDP Indie phone chat and talking, but retains it for Amazon.com customers. Pubit.com is constantly flooded with complaints about customer service. I suggest that If their ebook divisions were profitable, these situations would not be the case.

Ebook sales are reported to be increasing, but to a considerable degree at the expense of print books. Which are more profitable to sell, print or ebooks? With ebooks servers must constantly make available huge numbers of ebooks that don't sell. With ebooks Indie authors have many questions and complaints directed to Customer Service. IF ebooks were more profitable than print books, I suggest the Big Six of publishing would all be in the ebook publishing business in a big way. Instead they just keep on publishing print books.

Since ebook sales are increasing, if they were profitable then both Amazon and BandN would probably not have reported negative earnings the last quarter. Then there would be no announcement that BandN will be considering a buy-out offer, and Amazon's stock would not have been recently downgraded, with its price in decline.

And finally, if the ebook businesses were in good shape and making good money, then so many Indie authors would not be crying the blues about disappearing paid sales. The industry has been and continues to be flooded with freebie downloads, especially from the Amazon Select program. When a business is getting good profitable sales, it does not give away free large numbers of its product.

If you have any factual information, you are welcome to post it. Continue stating "I think you're nuts" or other such words, and I will notify the Forum moderator. By the way, how many ebooks have you written, edited and published? I have 25.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

TSCerys,

That absolutely crossed my mind when I saw the email but I thought .. naa, they wouldn't screw with the indie authors like that.. that'd be real dumb to get our hopes up about something big then not deliver. :smileyhappy:

SF

TSCerys wrote:

Is anyone else mad that they announced this on April Fool's day and then almost a week later they haven't followed up with it?

I'm not saying it's a joke or anything, but I don't even understand the purpose of the email now.  "We have stuff coming soon, but we won't even hint at it and we'll tell you guys later!  LOL!"

That's my take out of this.

Contributor
MonkNC
0 Kudos

Pubit needs to followup with SOMETHING about that April Fools Day message, people are starting to get UPSET with the lack of any sort of follow through.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

JM Christopher, I used phone chat and conversation with KDP Customer Service last year. Your not knowing about it, does not mean it was not available..

Telling me I am (like) a child (I wish I were a child) and calling me Sir is very gratifying, thanks.

Regarding the supposedly factual statements in your posts, the "Big Six" that are being sued in a class action lawsuit, along with Amazoin.com do not to my knowledge publish anything other than print books. The class action lawsuit, which I have read, does not mention any of the big six publishing or marketing ebooks.

"Every book they print is also an ebook" this is simply not true. There are many books in print that do not become ebooks. I have some in my library, and the public librarirs are full of them.

"I have been with KDP for about 2 years now, and have 75 ebooks and 10 books in print." Let's see, that's 85 books published in two years, or 725 days. That comes out to a book every 8.53 days. You must write, edit, format, publish and promote your ebooks awfully fast. I assume you created the covers in your spare time.

"But frankly, you aren't worth my time, sir." My sentiments exactly. Let us part company now, you with your  statements and 65 books in two years, and me with my statements and 25 ebooks and one print book.

Good-bye.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

Correction- the next to last sentence in the foregoing post should state 85, not 65, books in two years..

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

EinsteinPD:

I tried to restraint myself from replying but I couldn't understand your post.

In the first paragraph I quote below (I think) you wrote that the Big Six that are being sued in a class action "do not to my knowledge publish anything other than print books. The class action lawsuit, which I have read, does not mention any of the big six publishing or marketing ebooks."

I suggest you re-read the lawsuit, here's a nice article on it from The Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/feb/21/booksellers-sue-amazon-over-ebooks - The headline of which is: "Independent booksellers sue Amazon and 'big six' publishers over ebooks"

Now it is quite possible that I misunderstood what you said, or the article. But if you read the lawsuit and also are saying that to your knowledge the big six do not publish anything other than print books then I have some follow up questions for you.

As for the second paragraph that I quote below I think what the other guy was saying that any book that the big six now publish in print is ALSO printed in ebook form. Though it's a little unclear it does sound like you took that to mean every book that is in print ever is also now in ebook form (which I agree, would be untrue, but not what he was likely saying).

A little more clarity, a little less rage replying, would be awesome.

Thanks

SF

EinsteinPD wrote:

Regarding the supposedly factual statements in your posts, the "Big Six" that are being sued in a class action lawsuit, along with Amazoin.com do not to my knowledge publish anything other than print books. The class action lawsuit, which I have read, does not mention any of the big six publishing or marketing ebooks.

"Every book they print is also an ebook" this is simply not true. There are many books in print that do not become ebooks. I have some in my library, and the public librarirs are full of them.

Good-bye.

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
0 Kudos

SF50, I suggest you read the class action lawsuit. The Big Six are never mentioned as publishers of ebooks, and that is the point under dsiscussion in the thread. The lawsuit relates to restraint of trade in ebooks, not publication of ebooks. The statement "any book the Big Six publish is also printed in ebook form" implies that every print book is printed in ebook form..

It seems to me you are nit-picking. As for your having "more questions" for me, I am not interested. Read the lawsuit and see the facts of it for yourself.

Your derogatory statement "a little more clarity, a little less rage" shows clearly where yoiu are coming from. I have neither time nor interest in replying to any of your "further questions" (why should I?) and I prefer not to continue corresponding with people who do not keep a civil tongue in their heads.

My replies in this thread to you and Christopher, publisher of 85 books in two years, are ended..

Good-bye.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mrs-Smith
0 Kudos

Definition of DEROGATORY. 1: detracting from the character or standing of something —often used with to, towards, or of. 2: expressive of a low opinion

" Your derogatory statement "a little more clarity, a little less rage". . . "

I believe SF was requesting to see a nicer side of you. Now, if that's not possible, then it was their mistake in assuming you have one.

And why does every topic that you step into turn into such a heated broil with you laying down claiming victim? Why can't you join the conversation without becoming confrontational about everything? Do you even know how to have a conversation where you entertain the idea that you're probably wrong? That not everything that drips from your mouth is fact? None of us are at all times correct. I've accepted that there are times I will be wrong, and you know what? I'm ok with that! Most people are ok with that!

So, before you sit down at your keyboard with your finger hovering over the "I'm gonna tell on you" button, why don't you calm down, and at least pretend to be nice. Grab a nice tall glass of prune juice, take a large gulp and relax!

There, that said, Can't we all just get along? :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
TSCerys
0 Kudos

I guess the new news is this Nook Press stuff.  Kind of interesting?

I don't really know if I'll ever "use" most of the new stuff they added since I upload epubs directly already and I like the way they look, but I can see others using them.

I'm interested in the new marketing stuff, though.  I wonder how that'll work.  I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

While not super crazy and revolutionary, everything seems relatively neat so far.  Looks good!

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EinsteinPD:

There is nothing derogatory about "a little more clarity, a little less rage" - Your replies and comments lack a lot of fact and do a lot of complaining about being called names. Grow up.

As for "reading the lawsuit" I'm going to just paste one excerpt from the article I pointed to that shows you're wrong:

"Currently, none of the big six has entered into any agreements with any independent brick-and-mortar bookstores or independent collectives to sell their ebooks," say the booksellers, and "consequently, the vast majority of readers who wish to read an ebook published by the big six will purchase the ebook from Amazon."

Notice the last part of the sentence, the part that starts "consequently" ?

I think it's a good idea that you stop replying in this thread, not because people don't like you, but because you keep spouting off factually incorrect information and act as though it's correct. One thing I can't handle is people stating opinions and assumptions as though it were fact.

Since you're so big on keeping "a civil tongue" perhaps you should stop judging Christopher's 85 books sight unseen and acting as though they are the worst thing written. You have no basis for that other than your (yet again) assumptions based on information you assume to be correct but have no basis for.

EinsteinPD wrote:

SF50, I suggest you read the class action lawsuit. The Big Six are never mentioned as publishers of ebooks, and that is the point under dsiscussion in the thread. The lawsuit relates to restraint of trade in ebooks, not publication of ebooks. The statement "any book the Big Six publish is also printed in ebook form" implies that every print book is printed in ebook form..

It seems to me you are nit-picking. As for your having "more questions" for me, I am not interested. Read the lawsuit and see the facts of it for yourself.

Your derogatory statement "a little more clarity, a little less rage" shows clearly where yoiu are coming from. I have neither time nor interest in replying to any of your "further questions" (why should I?) and I prefer not to continue corresponding with people who do not keep a civil tongue in their heads.

My replies in this thread to you and Christopher, publisher of 85 books in two years, are ended..

Good-bye.

Frequent Contributor
SF50
0 Kudos

"EinsteinPD:"

And in case your next argument is that the article doesn't specifically name any ebooks published by a Big Six publisher ... Here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stealing-harper-molly-mcadams/1114819163?ean=9780062292117

and

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-taken-vicki-pettersson/1106580333?ean=9780062064110

Scroll down to the books info where it lists the publisher and tell me who the publisher is.

And what does it say under "format" ?