Contributor
Brownster
0 Kudos

For What It is Worth

I am currently teaching 2 psychology courses. I have downloaded NOOK Study and both textbooks that I am using are available for Nook Study. I have not purchased or rented either for the Nook Study as I was able to get copies for free from the Publisher for CourseSmart on my iPad.

The issues that are keeping me from using Nook  Study at this point are:

1. No iPad capability... I could use laptop if I could gain access to a desk copy of textbooks... and wait on iPad Nook Study.

2. The ease of getting the textbook through CourseSmart not having to go through the Publisher directly... actually the Pub Rep set up my CourseSmart account and authorized my first textbook directly. (Seems that B&N needs to work closely with Publishers... coursesmart seems to have that aspect down).

3. Even if I wanted to buy one of the textbooks... it is only for rent. It would be impractical to rent books over and over again as a prof, especially when you can a free desk copy through CourseSmart.

It would seem that if the prof had the access to the textbooks for Nook Study and used them regularly in class and in posting notes and such, that the students would adopt the technology as well.

FYI,

Jim

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: For What It is Worth

Brownster wrote:

I am currently teaching 2 psychology courses. I have downloaded NOOK Study and both textbooks that I am using are available for Nook Study. I have not purchased or rented either for the Nook Study as I was able to get copies for free from the Publisher for CourseSmart on my iPad.

The issues that are keeping me from using Nook  Study at this point are:

1. No iPad capability... I could use laptop if I could gain access to a desk copy of textbooks... and wait on iPad Nook Study.

2. The ease of getting the textbook through CourseSmart not having to go through the Publisher directly... actually the Pub Rep set up my CourseSmart account and authorized my first textbook directly. (Seems that B&N needs to work closely with Publishers... coursesmart seems to have that aspect down).

3. Even if I wanted to buy one of the textbooks... it is only for rent. It would be impractical to rent books over and over again as a prof, especially when you can a free desk copy through CourseSmart.

It would seem that if the prof had the access to the textbooks for Nook Study and used them regularly in class and in posting notes and such, that the students would adopt the technology as well.

FYI,

Jim

Just found this post. I second "Brownsters" points!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:8 members 270 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: