New User
Melissa72
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook for the Classroom?

I am thinking of purchasing a nook for professional use. What are the Nook's applications for use in the classroom? What, if any, additional accessories do I need and what program do I have to install on the classroom computer in order to use it in this capacity?

Any help would be appreciated.

Frequent Contributor
edUcateMS
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for the Classroom?

Before I get too far into a description,  I want to encourage you to drop by a Barnes and Noble and try out a demo NOOK to see what it can do.   Your impressions and ideas

I have had a NOOK since Feb.   I use mine for personal reading.   That's what it was designed to do is be an ereader without the backlit screen.   the eink technology is easier on the eyes than an LCD screen would be.

I'm a big believer in integrating technology in my classroom and try new technology as soon as I can get my hands on it.  In fact, besides the NOOK, I'm also playing with the Ipad for classroom use.

Bottom line:   There is not really a way to use NOOK in the classroom as a teaching tool unless you are in a specialized field such as remedial reading courses, where students can use the NOOK as a reading tool.

The way I use my NOOK:  I converted my lecture notes into a PDF format and occasionally (when I don't feel like lugging my notes to class) will bring my NOOK to class to reference my notes as I lecture.   However, since there is not really a convenient way to organize notes just yet on the NOOK (hoping it will come with the next software update) and since it sometimes takes a while to open the file the notes are in, I use this feature very rarely.   What is more helpful, but again slow to setup while in the classroom setting, is to be able to download the electronic copies of the books I am currently interested in and be able to open to a pre-selected passage to read.   Again, it typically will take several moments to find the book, open the book, and go to the page wanted.   But it is a good alternative to hauling 5 books to the classroom.   I've had to develop the ability to talk while I'm looking for documents on my NOOK and waiting for it to upload.  Multitasking while lecturing is not the best practice but I hate the pause in lecture while I'm looking for something. 

For this reason, I typically will just put the passages in my lecture notes and convert the set of notes to pdf to use while I lecture.   Problems come in when I haven't looked at the notes while talking and now need to find the point where I am in the lecture.  If I've been going on and on for several minutes, I might need to flip through multiple pages on the NOOK to find my place.

So, I've pretty much dropped back to using my NOOK for personal reading only or as a convenient way to carry the books I use for class outside the classroom, lab, and office.  It's much easier to carry the NOOK home than all my reference texts.  I do take some notes on the nook, but only when I'm in a place where a laptop is not convenient to use.  I find it tedious pecking away on the NOOK and can type faster on the laptop.   

There are not really any accessories or programs that will allow you to hook the NOOK to a computer or lcd projector to show the class. As far as software for the computer, if you want to install the B&N ereader software, it will let you open and read the ebooks and pdfs like the NOOK.  Depending on the speed of the computer, the software can open the files faster than the NOOK.  But I typically have the computer tied up with powerpoint while lecturing.   the ereader software you can download for free and does not require a NOOK for operation.  Please, Download the ereader program from B&N's website and try it out. It will give you a good idea of the NOOK's capability. 

I've been playing with the NOOKstudy tool for a few days.   I think this tool would be more convenient for classroom use if your textbooks come in an electronic format.   I recently wrote lab manuals for most of the classes I teach and can easily see how the NOOKstudy tool can be used to show the PDFs of the lab manuals in class.  However, the PDF can be opened through other programs already installed on the computer.  Only one of my textbooks is in an electronic form for use with NOOKstudy, but I will not pay the $150 to use it in NOOKstudy.  I'll wait until they make deskcopies available for instructors.      Once deskcopies are available to instructors, I can see the advantage of the side-by side view feature, where you can open two different textbooks and compare them to each other. Or open a lab manual and the textbook at the same time to compare.

NOOKstudy, I think, is better used like the NOOK as a personal study tool and note-making tool, not a classroom instrument. 

Hope that helps some.   But again, I really, really encourage you to go play with a NOOK at a Barnes and Noble and to try out the ereader software on B&N's website.  There are several free ebooks you can download, so you can testdrive the ereader software without spending a penny.    Anything you download to the ereader will also open in the NOOKstudy program which or course is also free.

to find the free ebooks, type 0.00 in the search box under ebooks on B&N's website.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

The nook can be used in the classroom for regular, mainstream books that don't have complicated graphs, colored diagrams or large tables.  For example - if you are an English major and reading numerous titles per semester, a nook reading device is a great tool for you.

The NOOKstudy application does not work with the nook device.  The NOOKstudy application is a PC/MAC install for your personal computer.  (We do not recommend installing it on a shared computer since we register your particular compouter.)

If you have a personal computer that you can take to class and use for work at home, NOOKstudy is your best option since it can read both mainstream books and eTextbooks specifically.  It also has a suite of study tools for note taking, integrating online research and organizing coursework.

Hope this helps - feel free to write back with any questions!

Reader 2
jennifer918
0 Kudos

Love, love, love the idea of converting your notes to a pdf format and putting on Nook.  Crap.  Yet another reason I "need" a Nook.

New User
NoTime2Cook-Reading
0 Kudos

I am a grad student researching how I would use the NookCOLOR in the elementary classroom. As the other reply states, it is mostly used at my RtI red/yellow center reading table. The text to voice read alouds replace the cassette and books. I LOVE that the students can scroll through the story at their own pace. They don't have to turn the page until they are caught up where as the cassette just beeps and keeps going. They can re-read aloud paragraphs right there if they missed something, then continue to the next page. A HUGE advantage to my slower trackers. I also like that the more advanced students can use it to read chapter books and then make notes in the margins to me or one another. I read over these every couple of days and respond if needed. This helps their comprehension and discussion skills. I also like that the students enjoy using the technology. While we older gen. teachers prefer a paper book, the newer students are digital everything. They have phones, iphones, laptops, and ipods... everything touch screen now. This NookColor just fits right in with what they are use to and keeps them engaged. They don't feel like they are using something old-fashion.

New User
readingladyJR
0 Kudos

What about using the Nook as a classroom library resource? I was thinking about subscribing to nookmagazines and nooknewspapers, and having several Nookcolors available for students to read them. How does that work? I know that several different devices can view the same B&N library, but can multiple Nooks be connected to the same account?

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

I have been told that you can have up to six Nooks registered to the same account. 

I'm a teacher as well, so I'm curious.  What grade level and class do you teach?

My school is expected to be receiving iPads very soon, approximately six, with a number of iPhones.  The iPads are for the teacher to demonstrate on; the iPhones are for the students to follow along on.  They are looking at teaching vocabulary words in this manner.  I admit that I wish they had gone with Nooks instead.

Frequent Contributor
lovemyereaders
0 Kudos

I am a middle school reading teacher. We use the Nook Color in my reading class. We purchased 5, and you can have up to 6 on one account. That is really nice. The kids love them. I think they are great for the classroom, its something a little different for the kids. You just have to closely monitor them, to make sure they are not using other applications, and they don't take the out of the classroom.

Kids love any new technology.

New User
PlotTwister
0 Kudos

Nearpod app for teachers and Nearpod app for students (both free) recently hit the Nook 'app store'.  This is really great news as a tool for the classroom.  This app which has been on the Ipad up until now suddently gave the NookTablet significant relevance as an in classroom device.

New User
rayann82
0 Kudos

I am having difficulty finding out how to register my 2 classroom nooks so that I can download the same information to each one. Can you help?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

rayann82 wrote:
I am having difficulty finding out how to register my 2 classroom nooks so that I can download the same information to each one. Can you help?

You are using Nooks or the NookStudy app on your computer?  None of the Nook devices (at this time) support NookStudy.  Right now NookStudy is strictly for download to a computer.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
lovemyereaders
0 Kudos

They have to both be registered with the same account information.
New User
mrsrichyrich
0 Kudos

We recently purchased a class set of Nooks for school use and were sad to learn that purchase requirements for educational use are 1:1. If you have a device for personal use, up to 5 or 6 may use the same library, but when using them in the classroom, a separate license must be purchased for each Nook. You aren't really saving money in that regard, but you are saving storage space and there are always free titles available.

Frequent Contributor
lovemyereaders
0 Kudos

We have all 5 of our devices using the same account. So we purchased 1 book and put it on 5 nook colors.
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:58 members 507 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: