New User
sarahsterns

Re: Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

I'M TOTALLY PISSED OFF I JUST BOUGHT MY NOOK BECAUSE THE PERSON AT THE STORE SAYS I CAN GET MY TEXTBOOKS ON IT. I JUST BOUGHT MY TEXTBOOK THROUGH NOOK STUDY AND I CAN'T PUT IT ON MY NOOK!!!!!!! I WANT A REFUND THIS SUCKS!!! I WANT THE BOOK REFUNDED AND MY NOOK REFUNDED. I WAS TOLD THIS WOULD HELP ME IN SCHOOL AND I COULD PUT THE TEXTBOOKS ON MY NOOK NOT ON MY COMPUTER. WHAT'S THE DEAL BARNES AND NOBLE YOUR SALESPEOPLE LIE.

New User
SqojoSmiley

The exact same thing just happened to me. The sales rep said that I could use my textbooks on my Nook Color, then I get home, download the ebook, after paying for it, then I find out it doesn't work on the Color. What is the point of that? The book doesn't do me any good on days I can't bring my computer with me, then I will need the book in class, that was the whole point of getting the Nook. This was SUPPOSED to be able to save me money in the long run, but now I just wasted a bunch of money on something that was misrepresented using money that will be needed for more books in the future. Now I'm going to have to return the color, eat the money for the ebook, and spend money on the paper textbook.

Administrator
BN_Erin

Hi,

We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We will notify the store managers about the misleading information that the sales reps are giving. 

We are working hard to have eTextbooks available on more devices. 

Thank you for your patience and again we apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
granturismo

"We are working hard to have eTextbooks available on more devices."

Like the new Nook Tablet, per chance? (hint hint) :smileyhappy:

New User
frustratedDB

I was on the verge of buying a Nook Tablet when I found this thread; however, I will not purchase this tablet as I see it is not compatible with the Nookstudy. My sole purpose for the purchase was to make life easier as a college student.  I am so glad I did not waste my money.

New User
arrgh205

Then how does Kindle manage it?  I'm no fan of Amazon, I really want to know.

And you should know your store sales reps are representing the Nook as compatible with textbooks, indeed that you can even use the Kindle textbooks on them.  My daughter bought one yesterday on the recommendation of two salespersons, and they even talked her into the Tablet as opposed to the Color specifically because it would work better with textbooks. So far as I can tell, the only way this is possible is to "root" the tablet and turn it into a plain Android tablet, then download the Kindle app... which voids the warrantee.  I am not happy about this.

New User
Prole

[ Edited ]

You should not refer to these things using the NOOK brand. Before buying the Nook tablet, I specifically checked if either Krugman's or Samuelson & Nordhaus texts on economics was available for the Nook.   I searched using the "Nook Books" pick list item.  This came up, was a purchasable Nook eStudy version, I said "Great!"  But of course, that was an erroneous response by the BN system: Nook eStudy is NOT a Nook Book at all, is it?  You should call these books "anything BUT a Nook".

As for the special demands of text books - piffle!  I have several technical documents and books (pdf) on a  Nook; they display just fine.  If text books really present such special demands, you should put a disclaimer in the specs for the Nooks warning potential purchases: "Nooks don't support educational material such as text books very well."Nook eStudy texts" are not available for them."  I note that Amazon sells a Kindle version of Samuelson's Economics.

I routinely make margin notations in my books.  The lack of support for notaes with an ereader applies to most book categories, not just text books. Please don't protect me from myself.

Hmmm, looking further, it seems that few technical books are available for the Nooks.  (At first, I thought there were because searching in Nook Books returns the false match of Nook eStudy.  But that was an error.)

I see that the Tablet will be not very useful. While it is an excellent reading device, the eco-system is much too constrained.  (I'm sure side-loading was disabled in 1.4.1 to protect me from myself too.)

Thanks!

New User
common_cents

Could you please not use words that create common ties between products when they do not in fact work together?  Microsoft doesn't make video games that work on other game consoles but not on their own, nor does Apple release a new version of I-tunes that doesn't work on the I-Pod.  Why would you provide two services under the "Nook" product line that have no connection. 

Fallacy of marketing!

Reader
JamesGeorge

How incredibly disapointing. Thought I finally found a solution to reading textbooks on mass transit. This is definately hurting sales. Please don't label something that isn't compatible with other systems under the same name. Nookstudy doesn't work with the Nook? What the hell. My productivity in class went up when I purchased the nook color. I would love it if Barnes and Noble would resolve this.

New User
MMendez
0 Kudos

Thank you BN_ERIN...I purchased my Nook this week and the staff was very informed about this very topic.  The mngr also stated that this issue was being addressed.  I hope this is corrected sooner rather than later as my semester has started and I would love to stop dragging my laptop to and from the library just to get a few hours of reading in.  And, I hope that "more devices" includes the NookTablet.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks again and I look forward to the addition of "more devices" for NookStudy!

-Marcos

New User
PrinceTaylor
0 Kudos

So I understand NOOKstudy doesnt work on NOOK. But can you even open up e-textbooks on the Nook, im confused and if you can will you be able to access the NookStudy from the laptop using the e-textbooks on the NOOK

New User
thespasticone
0 Kudos

It is very unfortunate that the sales people at B&N don't tell people this . . . I SPECIFICALLY told the sales person that I was buying the nook for text books, and this wasn't mentioned. . kind of irritating.

New User
WGroover
0 Kudos

Perhaps when initially developed PC/Mac was the appropriate platform.   But we will soon be entering the fall semester of 2012, other platforms exists now, and have for some time, that are better suited for electronic textbook deployment.  

B&N should either make a serious commitment to the Nook or abandon the device.

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

See the following link for just a bit of an update:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/download/index.asp

New User
Katya00
0 Kudos

I'm unbelievably disappointed the etextbook I bought will not work on my Nook. The entire reason I bought a Nook was for classes and the ease of bringing multiple textbooks with me at once. Now, not only are there barely any etextbooks available on this platform that I would need, the one I finally found will not even work on my Nook! To me, the Nook is worthless. I will probably sell it and upgrade to a Kindle. There are many Kindle editions of textbooks and they offer free books if you are an Amazon Prime member. I think you've lost a customer.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

It appears that nook study will work on the HD + being introduced next week.
New User
hdawne
0 Kudos

@ user patgolfneb

re: Nook HD+ with Nookstudy -can you qualify that with a Link, please?

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

@patgolfneb, There is no Android NOOKstudy app. Therefore there is nothing to work on the HD/HD+.
New User
hdawne
0 Kudos

Tired of waiting for B&N to develop a nookstudy app, and sick of toting my laptop to class, so I'm getting my textbooks from Coursesmart next semester.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coursesmart.android.coursesmart&hl=en

New User
SharraLSS
0 Kudos

I have to agree with everyone here. Honestly it i absurd that Nook Study doesn't work with any of the Nooks. I was planning on purchasing one for myself this week until I realized its not compatible. I can understand that on the computer you can highlight and stuff, and that maybe the Nook doesn't have the ability to do all that because of the system. But the thing is...some of us don't need all that. I don't use any of the features to be honest. I just want to be able to relax and read my text books comfortably. Having to hold my computer just to read is a hassle. We all know reading and studying isn't fun to begin with. We want to learn but most people don't like studying. Having it on the Nook would make it easier. Being able to sit more comfortably or read on the go. It's ridiculous these things aren't compatible. They should really do something to change it. To be able to use it even if you don't have all the extra "features" like on Nook Study for the computer. They've got to make this work somehow. It would make my life a hundred times easier.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online:51 members 461 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: