Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
7tronics
0 Kudos

Adobe account deactivation required to use NOOKstudy, breaks other programs

Should I note this as a bug - that NOOKstudy requires that I deregister from an Adobe account on the computer, it isn't per e-mail address. I can create another e-mail address and register, though a PIA, but find it far too intrusive to deregister my Adobe account which is used for other applications.

When installing NOOKstudy, I get the message "Sorry this computer already has an Adobe Account. Please call Adobe customer service to deactivate this computer."

Best, Mark

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe account deactivation required to use NOOKstudy, breaks other programs

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, Adobe does not currently permit multiple Adobe IDs per computer.  Regardless, shouldn't have to de-register your existing Adobe account on the computer - you can link  your Adobe ID to your Barnes & Noble.com account. 

You can call our Customer Service team at 1.800.THE.BOOK for personal assistance as well. 

New User
DLBarnett
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone,

I just talked with customer support who said that the log in for NOOKstudy has to be the same as the Adobe ID (email address and password). So rather than use your regular Barnes & Noble log in, create a new account with the same email address as your Adobe ID account, and the same password.

Just tried it and it works!

Cheerily,

Dan Barnett

Philosophy Instructor

Butte College

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

While that is certainly an option, you DO have the ability to link your existing BN account to your existing Adobe account - even if they are different. 

At the bottom of the Create Account or Sign In form, you'll see a link to 'Click here'.  That link gives you the option to enter your Adobe account.  You can always write back into this discussion board for any more discussions as well.  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Petuniabishco
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem with my Adobe ID being different from my BN account.  I didn't want to create a new BN account because I already have ebooks and everything on there, and I don't want my books in separate accounts.  My Adobe ID automatically linked with my BN account, but it would not let me open NookStudy with that combination.  I figured out that you can go to Adobe.com and change your Adobe ID to be the same email address as your BN account, without having to create a new account with them.  I did have to temporarily create a new BN account in order to get into NOOKstudy so that I could de-register that Adobe ID, but after that, I was able to start fresh and enter my new Adobe ID with my existing BN account and now it works.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,998
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't see any "Click Here" on any of the dialogs.

My NOOKstudy installation recognizes the Adobe ID that my computer is activated for. It shows on the screen where I enter the state and school. The ID shown there is correct.

But it won't use that Adobe ID. It tells me I have to deactivate my computer from my Adobe account. Which I don't want to do, since I use that account for library e-books.

NOOKstudy is properly recognizing the Adobe ID for my computer. What's the problem with it going ahead and using that? The FAQ says:

What if I already have an Adobe account on my machine?

You may use your existing Adobe account. When you first install the application, you will have an option to enter your existing information.

Changing my B&N email address to match my Adobe ID, or vice versa, is not a viable option for me.

This is on Win XP SP3.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

That almost sounds like you have the Adobe account registered to a separate BN.com account ... would you mind sending me a private reply with the email address you are using for you BN.com account and I can check our databases?  Many thanks for your diligence in this matter too.

Reader 2
Hedder
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, I am having the exact same troubles as Doug_Pardee. Changing my Adobe or Barnes and Noble login doesn't seem like a good option - I already use Adobe Digital Editions with my Nook and I fear that if I changed my Adobe login it could mess things up for my Nook. The FAQs on the site seem to indicate, as Doug pointed out, that you can use your existing Adobe account and does not indicate that it has to match the BN.com login information. I would point out that the FAQs indicate that "you will have an option to enter your existing information", which it doesn't do, but instead just detects your Adobe login information.

I don't have my Adobe account registered to another BN.com account.

I called Barnes & Noble yesterday and talked to someone at tech support and he said someone would call me back. Someone _did_ call me back but I missed the call and haven't heard from anyone since.

I'd be happy to provide any additional information because I'm anxious to get this problem solved.

Heather

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

Hi Heather,

If you can send me your email and password (which you can reset after we troubleshoot) via private email, I can check our database to investigate the issue.  I'll also send you my contact information so we can straighten this out as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

Tanuja

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

I think I was able to get it all working (possibly, see my warning below), the trick is to "authorize" nookStudy first. So do this:

1. Start up Digital Editions. 
  2. Hit ctrl-shift-d (or command-shift-d on  a Mac)
  3. You should see a prompt asking you if you want to deauthorize Adobe Digital Editions, go ahead and do that.
  4. Quit Adobe Digital Editions
  5. Start up nookStudy
  6. Sign in with your B&N account.
  7. In the dialog that asks for your State and School, there's some small print about using a different Adobe ID, including the link which is very easy to miss. Click the link if you need to use an Adobe ID that's different from your B&N ID.
  8. When you're finished setting up nookStudy, go back to Adobe Digital Editions and you'll find that it has been reauthorized.
Now the warning: I don't really use Adobe Digital Editions much, and the computer where I got this all working doesn't have any purchased content in Adobe. So I'm not absolutely sure it works, but I am absolutely sure that Adobe says it is authorized. So it should work, if Adobe can be trusted. :smileywink:

New User
SharkDivingDiva
0 Kudos

I just followed these instructions, and can now use nookstudy.  My adobe account is an older email, by B&N account is a newer email, but deactivating in adobe digital editions, logging in to nookstudy with my B&N account and using my older adobe account email seems to work.  When I restarted digital editions it automatically reauthorized my account, and my previously purchased content appears to be there.

So deactivating the adobe account seems to be a temporary thing, nookstudy now works fine without having to change either account.

I'm using a macbook pro, current snow leopard.

New User
SharkDivingDiva
0 Kudos

Never mind, this didn't actually work!  I was able to open my textbook, but I quit nookstudy and went back into my sony reader library (and had to reauthorize there), then when I went back to nookstudy I had to reauthorize there, then it said my textbook was not available on this computer!  I'm glad i just had a trial version, B&N support is no help at all!  Other than perhaps this problem will be fixed with the new update tonight...