Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
choffman
0 Kudos

Every week I have to call tech support to open my etextbook on NookStudy.... Why

I am renting an accounting book for my course at university and it opens fine for the week, but after the weekend it no longer will open.  I usually get a

Sorry, we are unable to open this book.

An unknown error has occurred. (2102) Call us (something  to that effect)

The first 6 times I called (once each week) I was told the simple fix was to deactivate the book and to redownload it.  Yea, that worked for three times, then I had to call for them to reopen the book as I had exceded the allowed downloads (even though it was to the same computer!)

After the 6th time, my Adobe digital reader was permanently deactivated.  After buring through some serious cell phone minutes, I was told by adobe to use a new email and get an new access code from my local book store where I rented the book. 

Great, worked all week.  Log on this week and ..... again not working.  This time I had to go online with help chat at Adobe to deactivate my old Adobe registration and redownload Adobe.  Ok.. now were cooking worked great but now I get the above message (which is stardard Monday morning message)

I am waiting for th B&N helpdesk to open.  Usually they are confused, do not know what I am talking about etc.  Can't find my account.  I've had asked them why they don't make notes on my email address when I call so they are up to date, but ....

Would I recommend renting an etextbook again?  Hell No!

Contributor
GriffJS
0 Kudos

Re: Every week I have to call tech support to open my etextbook on NookStudy.... Why

Agreed. NOOKStudy is a shoddy piece of software, and that's just being polite about it.

New User
neskafreska87
0 Kudos

Re: Every week I have to call tech support to open my etextbook on NookStudy.... Why

I am on hold with "The Book" online right now.  Same story.  Except this day is the day of my final exam.  Although I already took B&N's survey about how terrible the NookStudy platform is, it is important to me that other consumers and college students know not to rent, buy, or use eTextbooks through NookStudy.  The app is just not reliable enough. 

To top it off, the cost of my book was close to 80 bucks! And many of the graph, tables, objects, etc. included in the printed text don't show up "due to copyright issues". 

Unacceptable!

New User
mw2011
0 Kudos

I just update to the newest version of NookStudy and I lost both of my previously rented textbooks.  If I could describe how miffed I am right now, it could not be printed in a public forum.  My advise for everyone receiving that inviting  'We have a new version with wonderful new features:  message':  DO NOT UPDATEl  at least until the  ".1" version is released and most of the bugs are fixed.  It looks like I'm going to have to buy/rent my etextbooks again an argue with the nook-bos later.  As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the new version that is worth losing you current etextbook library.  Doh!!

New User
Country_GirlKR
0 Kudos

I found this forum because I picked up an etextbook to use with nookstudy. I actually got to see the text once at the time I downloaded it. After that I get the error that I can't view the book because I'm not authorized.

After dealing with customer service who by the way read scripts and obviously has no clue what they are doing, I got a whole lot of nothing. I was told they were going to do 'something' on their end and to try again in 15-30 minutes later and I would have my book. It's 9 hours later and I still have nothing.

I have orded the paper version from Amazon instead as I could find the book for less then Barnes & Noble. I now have a book I can sell after I have finished my semester. The whole experience with Barnes & Nobles from Christmas day on has been one disappointment after another.

Luckly the Nook works fine and I can add personal content and convert other text to epub format and enjoy on the Nook. But the NookStudy is a flop! To be sure I will not trust ebooks and NookStudy again any semester work. Its simply too great a risk

New User
AndresD
0 Kudos

I have the same exact problem going on today.6/16/12.    I was on the phone with them for 2 plus hours...  And it ended with...    Cut and paste so and so data file..   Now email  the info to this person..   He will Contact you.      I asked when i would hear from him seeing as how i have a test tomorrow and been trying to log on for 2 days now....the guy on the phone had no clue.   Hopefully the advanced tech suppport soto guy   helps me out.

New User
AndresD
0 Kudos

Annoyed. The guy I emailed who was the "Higher Up" Support because the guy on the phone could do nothing for me and referred me to him, never returned my emails.  I sent him 3.  I have an exam tomorrow for the Essentials of Physical Anthropology and now i am screwed. :smileysad:.     I have tried an old nookstudy version..the new version... uninstalled, reinstalled...adobe reader, Flash, nookstudy...restarted my computer several times...  My cc info was checked and was fine....  I switched browsers from firefox to google.... I even went to the barnes and noble website, put in the isbn number and went for the Free 7 Day trial... The webpage responded  by telling me to just go to my nookstudy because i am already renting the book!   ..  I NEED TO READ as Most of the info for my test is in this book.    Can you tell i am  Extremely frustrated?

New User
bethstill
0 Kudos

Some things never change. Here it is 2013 and I am having the same issues that all of you have had. I will never, ever use this software again!