New User
adamjgardner

Feature Suggestions

Dear NOOKstudy.app Designers,

Full screen mode would be awesome. I have a 13" MacBook Pro and I'm having trouble seeing the tiny print of the pages. In case you're wondering, I do not have a vision problem.

What's up with the erratic scrolling? I want to scroll down the page I'm on, not through pages. If you're set on keeping that the standard, at least provide an option for this in the preferences.

Speaking of preferences, "comand" + "," is the standard to bring up "preferences" in the Mac OS. I suggest conforming to this standard because it makes your product easier to use by more people. It's quite confusing to have to navigate the program to find the "settings" only to see account information.

Perhaps the biggest recomendation that I have is the ability to use my B&N ebooks with other programs. I don't like that I'm forced to use NOOKstudy.app to see my textbooks. I would much rather be able to use them in other ebook-reading software. I already have books in others, and I don't like having to use multiple programs to accomplish 1 goal; in this case, it's to see my books.

Speaking of multiple programs, I was unable to use this forum to post anything using Safari v5.0.2. Safari is my default browser, and it was necessary to use Firefox v3.6.7 to post this feedback for you to improve your services.

I certainly hope that my suggestions were helpful and meaningful to the NOOKstudy.app designers. :-)

Contributor
Jason-H
0 Kudos

Re: Feature Suggestions

+1 for Fullscreen Viewing. This is VITAL for a reading app.

+1 for app-wide preferences accessibility. (I should be able to get to the NookStudy app settings regardless of where I am in the app.)

+1 for cross-browser compatibility w/ the B&N Community. Not to be too negative or anything but the Lithium system used to power these forums is just about terrible. I had to switch over to IE just to create a username. Could NOT do that in Google Chrome. Once I created the ID, I could switch back to Chrome to use the forums but, even still, the look and feel of these forums is, well, really bad.

New User
parkeram
0 Kudos

I get alot of reading assignments as pdf documents from my professors. I understand not being able to highlight text like an ebook, but I feel like there whould be a way for me to take notes somewhere in nook study.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Totally agree that .pdfs should be able to be read and notated in this app. (similar to the Windows program PDF annotator.)

Which leads me to tablet functionality. Without going into my usual tirade about how Microsoft has had touch and pen input on a tablet (thank God they didn't call it any form of a "pad" <shiver - GROSS>!) for YEARS, and I have used a tablet for years, and how Microsoft allows you freedom of use and functionality unlike the fruity companies out there......

I would love to be able to use my tablet pen to make notes, highlight, etc. Think OneNote plus PDF Annotator plus NookStudy.

Actually, I am not a student or faculty member in the traditional sense of the words. But I do take classes and teach regularly. I use NookStudy for my classes, regular book reading and I use it at work as well - makes the annotations easier than the Nook. The pen-input functionality would really make the nook stand apart.

Also need a Nook and NookStudy app for WindowsPhone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now... If we can just get it where I can actually "turn" a page and give it some-what of a more realistic book feel. (yes, folks, I am becoming old.)

Thank you for the opportunity to give my feedback... Windows7 and Nook rules! Kindle and the fruity pad/pod thingys fail.

MitigationElf!
New User
cassi0peia

I also think that you really should allow for posting from Safari, which is my default browser. I had to go to firefox, which is a hassel and I would think B&N would want our reviews so that it can improve and get more customers. 

I think that for scrolling their should be a continuous option, so that, for example, you could see the bottom half of page 102 and the top half of page 103 in the same screen shot.  This would also make for a much smoother scroll-through of pages when reading.  I've seen this on other e-book readers, coursesmart for example, and I much preferred it.  If I hadn't already bought books on nookstudy I might have gone back to coursesmart just because of this feature. 

I also think that the toolbar at the bottom of the reader view should be able to be minimized or hidden, similar to the options with the dock on a mac computer.  It could be hidden, until you move your mouse over it and then it would reappear until you moved your mouse away again. 

I'll also say +1 for full screen view.  On 13 in laptops, which I find to be the most common at my university, it's difficult to read it without having to zoom in.

Also, everytime I launch, it says that there's a new version to update to, but each time it only downloads the same version that I downloaded at the last launch.  Fix this bug please?

New User
kwolfe
0 Kudos

I agree on the with the pdf files and being able to highlight and 'interact' with them.  I have just started classes again for the first time in 12 years (aaaaggghhhh!).  Boy things have changed since I was first in college, but I am trying to adapt and so far I love this Nookstudy.  I am havng issues pulling up the pdf's I've added to my Nookstudy.  We use articles from scholarly journals every week in class.  After I 'add' a pdf I try to access it and wham!  My screen locks up.  I've tried everything from closing out the application and reopening it, to a complete shutdown on my PC and restart.  It seems the only way to get around this system issue is to uninstall and re-install the application, which is quite a pain.  Any suggestions?  I have vista on one laptop and xp on another.  Could this be the culprit?  Am I even posting this question in the right area???

Contributor
Meghan_A
0 Kudos

Here's my list:

1) Some sort of planning function. Someplace where I can put in what needs to be read by what date.

2) A notes section.  Someplace I can take notes that aren't spefically tied to a book/sentence/you get the idea.

Meghan

Contributor
Jason-H
0 Kudos

@cassi0peia: +1 for continuous scrolling! Scrolling is very sensitive and an option for continuous scrolling would definitely help that.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

cassi0peia wrote:

I also think that the toolbar at the bottom of the reader view should be able to be minimized or hidden, similar to the options with the dock on a mac computer.  It could be hidden, until you move your mouse over it and then it would reappear until you moved your mouse away again. 

Click the little lock on the right corner of the bottom toolbar and it will auto-hide.