Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
YodaWisdom
0 Kudos

Having difficulties...

Well, I just downloaded Nookstudy and my first eTextbook and so far I am underwhelmed.  I wanted to view the textbook for the free 7 day trial in order to decide if I wanted to purchase or rent and I did not see that option.  Frustrating!  After calling technical support, I find out that the publisher makes the decision as to whether or not there is a free trial.  Okay, I get that.  But your advertisement of Nookstudy reads "Free 7 day eTextbook trial" with no qualifiers.

Secondly, I just tried to download by course syllabus, which was sent to me in a Word document and was told Nookstudy does not support that type of file.  I went back to review the Nookstudy features and it just says "Import documents" with no delineation of what type of documents the tool will support.  Considering that Word is still probably the most used document software utilized, that seems very shortsighted on the part of developers.  The advertisement also says "keep all your books, presentations, handouts, and assigned readings in one spot."  I'm beginning to wonder how realistic that is.  Again, I checked with technical support to make sure that I was not missing something in downloading the syllabus but he told me the same thing.

I guess on the upside I'm not having to lug around a big textbook but I wish the other promises had not been made if they are not going to be accurate.  I realize this is a free download and what it can do is great but when features are implied that prove not to be true, then that leaves a bit of a sour taste in one's mouth regardless of whether it was free or not.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

Re: Having difficulties...

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your candor in this post.  I hear you on wanting the appilcation to be able to do more - we want that too and are working towards everything you mention:

- a larger catalog of free trials and textbooks overall

- support for an expanded set of file types

What you've downloaded is the beginning of a digital evolution in textboks, so stay tuned for updates!

New User
YodaWisdom
0 Kudos

Great!  I'm looking forward to what it will become and recognize that what it can already do is a huge improvement over a backpack full of very heavy books.  So my complaint is not so much what it can't do as opposed to what seems to be promised in the advertising.  I'm asking that the ad copy be modified to reflect what is the actuality at this time.  You can even put in there what you are working towards but at this point the tool does not meet the promise - and that is where I have an issue.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

I hear you - I have passed on this feedback to our Marketing team as well.  Thanks again!

New User
Greeneggs1388
0 Kudos

I just downloaded the nookstudy for a e-textbook I purchased and it keeps telling  me that  my  date and  time are wrong on my computer. It will not let me redeem my book because it will not activate the account.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

That's correct - the clock on your computer must be set to the accurate current date and time for activation to work.  Once you update your clock, you'll be able to login successfully.