Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JamieWiese

Just downloaded update, and the screen is blank.

I just downloaded the new update, and the application is blank.  It just says Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader on top, and that's it.  I have homework due in two hours, and I can't open my eTextbook.  I'm freaking out here.  I've tried to redownload it three times now, restarting my computer, and nothing.  Help!!

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Re: Just downloaded update, and the screen is blank.

Hi,

Can you please Uninstall the app and go to this link and re-download: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/download/index.asp. Please let me know if this works,

If this still hasn't fixed this issue, please let me know the best way to contact you so we can resolve this issue. 

Thanks,
Erin

New User
Max_DT
0 Kudos

Hi, I've experienced the same issue as described above and went through the hassle of uninstalling and re-installing the Nook for PC application. Problem solved. 

Hopefully, whatever caused the issue in the first place, it has been looked up and resolved to avoid disruptions and inconveniences in future updates. Thank you.

New User
Kirov
0 Kudos

Ok... so I also downloaded the update the day it came out. I also have the blank screen problem. I have tried everything i can think of that is possible. I have updated my adobe and installed it again. I have reinstaled nookstudy more times than I can remember.

Now I have resorted to completely deleting all files associated with the bn nookstudy and I have moved the bn my documents folder to another location till after this newest download. Currently I am redownloading from the url that Erin posted.

I am truly getting fustrated. Luckly my midterms and finals are done and i am on spring break otherwise I would really not find this funny at all. I am getting very irritated and I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of trying a first generation etextbook application.

70% of my download is completed. however I honestly expect that this will be no help. It worked great untill this last update. I was quite excited when I read about the new update... now I wish I could just use the old one. I have a windows xp cp. And I bought one etextbook and rented another... I am glad I didnt buy everything through this program.

New User
Kirov
0 Kudos

Oh I almost forgot to add that sometimes, and maybe I am just delusional from downloading it multiple times, it says that it is a "barnes and noble e reader" not a "nook study".

These are two different programs. I have only been downloading the Nook Study one. But the e reader title appears during some downloads. Also the study program when I load it up only goes to a grey screen. It doesnt do anything else. Occasionally, with some of the other downloads it will be a white screen.

Please help soon.

New User
Kirov
0 Kudos

Ok. So yea it downloaded.... and suprise its only a grey screen and doenst funciton to any degree.

So the reinstalling doesnt work.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi All,

If you are experiencing this issue please fully uninstall the application. 

For PC:

Uninstall by going to Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> NOOK Study (click on Remove).  

Once you uninstall the NOOK Study application, please go to this link and re-download: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/download/index.asp.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
Kirov
0 Kudos

Alright Thanks Erin,

Ok I just uninstalled it via: "my computer > Control panel > remove nookstudy program" 

I clicked on the link and now its downloading...

Ok. It downloaded.... ok now lets see....

alright it opened but  the only thing that happened was the same thing as last time.

It opened in the window-box. It says "NOOK Study" at the top. As for the program itself there is nothing at all except for a solid grey field inside of the box.

This uninstall-reinstall isnt working Erin. As this is the 20th time i have tried this, the first time not using your uninstall driver however, and the result upon re-installing it was the same.

Thanks for your effort but I think a software patch, a better one, is needed.

(Oh and i checked the firewall settings and nookstudy is given full access).

Thanks for your time Erin. But I think we need a actual software update and/or allow us to revert to the old version untill the new bugs can be fixed. Can this be done Erin?

My springbreak is almost over and i have a new 8week class starting. I will not buy from nookstudy if this isnt fixed by this coming friday. I cannot afford to waste time as I am sure you and BN understands. So can we just get the old version back untill this patch is patched?

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the best way we can contact you?  I'd like to have our technical team look into this issue for you.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
Kirov
0 Kudos

christopher.mattingly@sccky.edu

That is my college email. Thanks for your help.

New User
ElloMiMi
0 Kudos

I am experiencing the same problem. I have unistalled and reinstalled NookStudy multiple times to only have the same problem repeated over and over again. Its frustrating at the moment since I have an exam tomorrow and now my studying has been interrupted horribly with this so-called update. Please help me and others solve this problem ASAP.

I've copied the log info which follows:

2011-03-21 01:04:26.00531000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:08:47.00140000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:09:10.00609000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:09:41.00546000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:13:58.00250000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:107] BNClient::smileytongue:roduct:21

2011-03-21 01:21:03.00812000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:27:17.00343000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:27:40.00375000 ERROR [WinInetProxy.cpp:244] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:WinInetProxy::get, Message:HTTP Status: 404 (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/ereader2/pc/config.xml - )

2011-03-21 01:27:43.00109000 ERROR [WinInetProxy.cpp:244] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:WinInetProxy::get, Message:HTTP Status: 404 (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/ereader2/pc/list.txt - )

2011-03-21 01:27:46.00046000 ERROR [WinInetProxy.cpp:244] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:WinInetProxy::get, Message:HTTP Status: 404 (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/ereader2/pc/list.txt - )

2011-03-21 01:27:46.00468000 ERROR [WinInetProxy.cpp:244] Category:CLIENTAPI, Action:WinInetProxy::get, Message:HTTP Status: 404 (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/ereader2/pc/list.txt - )

2011-03-21 01:34:31.00531000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:35:05.00234000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:107] BNClient::smileytongue:roduct:1

2011-03-21 01:35:08.00812000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 01:43:43.00343000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

2011-03-21 02:27:10.00734000 ERROR [ClientApi.cpp:60] ==============================================

New User
Eugenio
0 Kudos

I keep having the same problem as everyone else. A grey blank screen with no way of using the program. I need this book for a final and this program has let me down completely. I paid so much money for this book and now I don't have access to it. If this is the way this system works, this will be the last time I buy a book with this program. I have tried all of the links listed above and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program numerous times. Is there anyone that can help me. I have a Windows 7 netbook if that makes a difference. 

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you make sure that your system clock Date & Time, as well as time zone are accurate. Once your system clock is set to correct Date & Time then launch the App again.  This should solve your issue.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
ebookr12
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have just installed NOOKstudy for Mac from the current download dated June 21, 2011. It installed, asked for my school, then hung. Now when I start it it only gives a gray window titled "NOOK Study" and then hangs with the spinning beachball.

The same app works fine on another mac.  I have already run a repair permissions on the disk just to be safe. I had this behavior before and after I upgraded from Snow Leopard 1.6.7 to 1.6.8.

Is there a log file on the Mac that would pinpoint why it's hanging?

Reader 2
samanthian
0 Kudos

I had the same problem on my Mac. It was working fine, then I installed the update and it just showed a gray window with "NOOK study" and hung with the spinning beachball. I force quit it and the report simply said that the program "hung," so I uninstalled and reinstalled it as suggested above, which still did not work. I tried one more time still to no avail. Then I remembered that many times when I install program updates, my mac prompts me to restart, but it hadn't this time. So I tried that, which magically worked! I know it seems like a stupid fix, but if other people are anything like me, as a college student, my computer is ALWAYS on, I never actually shut it down unless I'll be away from it for like a week. So maybe try that?

Reader
littlboz
0 Kudos

I am having this same issue, I have reinstalled and rebooted my computer. I still get a grey screen.

New User
suziesearles2
0 Kudos

I'm having trouble too. It worked fine until I updated it. I'm using OSX 10.6.8.

Please help. I've got classes tomorrow and I need this to work. If not just give me the old one back.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please do the following:

Delete a File called "activation.dat" under Adobe/Digital
Editions

Below is the path:
/Users/administrator/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions

Once the activation.dat file has been deleted, please restart your computer and then download NOOK Study again.

If you are still experiencing issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Erin  

New User
Meghan_221B
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had Nook Study working on my MacBook Pro, but then after trying to open a PDF that I just downloaded, the screen went blank. I've tried uninstalling everything then re-installing it, but nothing works. Any help?

Thanks!