Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
weekleywife
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-26-2011

NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

I got the NOOK Study for the very purpose of being able to download my  college books at a more reasonable rate, and access then from my "NOOK"! This is what the name of the program implies and indeed that is what the sales associate told me it would do! She even showed me the fun notes/highlight feature that would be "so valuable in my courses"! Now, when I have gone all over the support site to find out WHY I can't , I see FINALLY in this discussion board that I cannot even use the NOOK Study on my NOOK! Now, I ask you...B&N... what the HAELLL Kind of hooey is that?????!!!!! My husband is upset that I spent this massive amount of money on a lie and a lie of omission and I am FURIOUS that I was dupped into the belief that NOOK Study and NOOK had a one single thing to do with each other! I have been a customer for a lot of years and I am VERY disappointed in you people! What's worse..I still have to buy your STUPID NOOK BOOKS or the money I spent is completely WASTED!!!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!

Heather Weekley

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,138
Registered: ‎02-18-2010

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

Well Iguess you didn't do any research then or you would of known that Nook Study is a PC program only for Windows and Mac OS.


weekleywife wrote:

I got the NOOK Study for the very purpose of being able to download my  college books at a more reasonable rate, and access then from my "NOOK"! This is what the name of the program implies and indeed that is what the sales associate told me it would do! She even showed me the fun notes/highlight feature that would be "so valuable in my courses"! Now, when I have gone all over the support site to find out WHY I can't , I see FINALLY in this discussion board that I cannot even use the NOOK Study on my NOOK! Now, I ask you...B&N... what the HAELLL Kind of hooey is that?????!!!!! My husband is upset that I spent this massive amount of money on a lie and a lie of omission and I am FURIOUS that I was dupped into the belief that NOOK Study and NOOK had a one single thing to do with each other! I have been a customer for a lot of years and I am VERY disappointed in you people! What's worse..I still have to buy your STUPID NOOK BOOKS or the money I spent is completely WASTED!!!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!

Heather Weekley


 

 

Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

You should have done your research BEFORE buying it. Salespeople often don't know what they are talking about.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

 


ProfReader wrote:

Well Iguess you didn't do any research then or you would of known that Nook Study is a PC program only for Windows and Mac OS.


weekleywife wrote:

I got the NOOK Study for the very purpose of being able to download my  college books at a more reasonable rate, and access then from my "NOOK"! This is what the name of the program implies and indeed that is what the sales associate told me it would do! She even showed me the fun notes/highlight feature that would be "so valuable in my courses"! Now, when I have gone all over the support site to find out WHY I can't , I see FINALLY in this discussion board that I cannot even use the NOOK Study on my NOOK! Now, I ask you...B&N... what the HAELLL Kind of hooey is that?????!!!!! My husband is upset that I spent this massive amount of money on a lie and a lie of omission and I am FURIOUS that I was dupped into the belief that NOOK Study and NOOK had a one single thing to do with each other! I have been a customer for a lot of years and I am VERY disappointed in you people! What's worse..I still have to buy your STUPID NOOK BOOKS or the money I spent is completely WASTED!!!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!

Heather Weekley


 

 


 

You stated what I was thinking, but I was also very confused by the OP's post.  She said she got NOOKStudy (obviously without researching) to download & access college books from the Nook.  

 

Now she's "furious" because of the money spent (must be on the Nook because NOOKStudy is free).

 

She obviously didn't research the Nook either, or she would know that she does not "still have to buy your STUPID NOOK BOOKS or the money I spent is completely WASTED."  (I'm not wasting my supply of exclamation points on her post)

 

It seems as if the Nook was a recent purchase, so rather than feeling "dupped" or duped, I'm not sure why she doesn't just return it?  If it's beyond the return time, I'm sure she wouldn't have any problem selling it.

 

And since her rant appears to be about the Nook (again, since the NOOKStudy app is free), maybe she should research a bit and post on the correct board.

 

Happy reading.  :smileywink:

 

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎09-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

I was wondering the same things.  Especially since the Nook Study webpage specifically states that Nook Study is "The Free eTextbook application for PC and Mac".

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎07-26-2010

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

 


KingAl wrote:
You should have done your research BEFORE buying it. Salespeople often don't know what they are talking about.

You'd be surprised at how often it's the customer who is terribly mistaken, such as in this case. Reading any of the available information about NookStudy on the website and in the FREE TO DOWNLOAD program has all the information the OP appears to have been lacking. Don't fault a business when it's customers are unprepared for its product.

 

Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

 


Angulimala wrote:

 


KingAl wrote:
You should have done your research BEFORE buying it. Salespeople often don't know what they are talking about.

You'd be surprised at how often it's the customer who is terribly mistaken, such as in this case. Reading any of the available information about NookStudy on the website and in the FREE TO DOWNLOAD program has all the information the OP appears to have been lacking. Don't fault a business when it's customers are unprepared for its product.

 


Good point. After reading the OP again, I'm thinking that the salesperson may have simply assumed that the OP knew that NookStudy was for computer and not the Nook.

 

New User
mcrawley
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

While the "Buyer beware" should rule, as an agent of the company the salesperson should be knowledgeable and honest about the product. Otherwise, it could be a deceptive trade practice.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
Posts: 864
Registered: ‎12-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

 


mcrawley wrote:

While the "Buyer beware" should rule, as an agent of the company the salesperson should be knowledgeable and honest about the product. Otherwise, it could be a deceptive trade practice.


Unfortunately, we only have the OP's version of the information given by the salesperson. 

 

Contributor
Penelope_Rabbit
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

I agree with everyone else in this discussion; research things before you buy them. I attend college online and do not need to purchase many of my books, but I wanted to see what nookstudy was all about. I may not be able to use my password protected PDF files textbooks  in the app but I have found it useful for organizing articles and other information related to my classes. I recommended this app to my little brother who attends campus classes. As for feeling like you have wasted your money; you obviously do not see the potential that the nook offers for many other things. I use my NOOKcolor to read articles for school all the time using PDF files and my nook is a great source of entertainment otherwise. I am glade I did my research and I recommend anyone else to do the same.

Contributor
kdoherty
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-04-2011

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

May I respectfully ask, why is the Barnes and Noble etextbook program named "Nook Study" when in fact the program has nothing to do with the Nook?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!


kdoherty wrote:

May I respectfully ask, why is the Barnes and Noble etextbook program named "Nook Study" when in fact the program has nothing to do with the Nook?


Because the powers-that-be decided to use Nook in all their software for ebooks, i.e., Nook or PC, Nook for Mac, Nook for Android, and so on.  

 

Keeps things clear as mud.  :smileywink:

Contributor
kdoherty
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎05-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

[ Edited ]

Very insightful explantion, and here I thought I had asked a rather shallow question!

New User
Kel91
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

You can still get it on the nook. By downloading the program to your computer and getting the textbooks they should then be able to be seen in PDF format as welll as others you can then transfer to your nook. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,138
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!


Kel91 wrote:

You can still get it on the nook. By downloading the program to your computer and getting the textbooks they should then be able to be seen in PDF format as welll as others you can then transfer to your nook. 


While the Nook has the ability to read pdf files, I would not recomend trying to read text books on it.

BN_AlexG
Posts: 473
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
Registered: ‎09-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK STUDY is DECEPTIVE!!!

This message has been moved for violation of Community Guidelines.