Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

NOOKstudy on Linux

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to report that NOOKstudy is working very well in Ubuntu 10.04. I'm running it through Wine 1.2. Most of the hotkeys don't work, but I'm not sure if that's a Wine issue or a BN issue, but overall it's great. 

By the way, I really like NOOKstudy. I expect I won't use it only for class work, but general reading as well. BN Desktop Reader would benefit from integrating NOOKstudy features. I'm also looking forward to any future integration wiith the Nook device itself.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKstudy on Linux

I hope to see future Linux support, even native Linux apps for Nook :smileyhappy:

Reader
misterken
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi TravP,

Amazing, your post is the only one that i found online about Nookstudy and ubuntu!

My wife needs Nookstudy for her school as the costs of textbooks would be much cheaper. I switched her laptop to ubuntu a few months ago, and once in a while i run in to compatibility issues with stuff she needs for college. Sooo i really need some more details as to how you got Nookstudy to work in ubuntu. She has 10.04 as well.

I would appreciate your response! Thanks

Jeanne_Belin
0 Kudos

We will continue to innovate with NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!

~Jeanne

Reader
misterken
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I definitely believe that will be beneficial to both the consumer and company. There is a big market in Linux based OS'. I learn everyday that more and more people have switched from windows!

Reader
misterken
0 Kudos

Well, its been a while since anyone replied. Thought I'd post whats been happening. 

We installed nookstudy using WINE. But some books were not opening up. We've called B&N and the rep metioned I need to download the ADOBE Digital Edition to the computer and that should take care of my issues because some of the books have an encryption on it that only Adobe can open them up. 

Ok SOOO...went to the Adobe site and download the Adobe DE .exe file. Installed it using WINE, restarted the computer, opened up Nookstudy after and tried opening up the book and NOTHING. Same problem. Says File Type not supported!!

So I'm stuck right now, i feel that i need to have something else installed in wine that is essential or a must have to have the books open with no problem. 

Anyone that can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it PLEEEASEE I cannot get my money back for the Etextbook we downloaded!!?? 

Thanks in advance!

KEn

New User
loren75
0 Kudos

Nuts.  I'm in the same boat.  The idea of renting an electronic textbook sounded really appealing to me, but the worries I had about regarding DRM made me reluctant to try it.  I should have paid more attention to my initial apprhensions.

I'm a little perplexed as to why a company targeting students (who in general are short on cash) wouldn't make their product available via Linux.  Linux is free.  People who are short on cash generally dig free stuff.  I use Ubuntu because it is free (and works really well).  Is it hard/expensive to make an application to look at an electronic textbook?  Why not make things easier for the consumer?  It's our money after all.

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

We're sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.  Our service level agreements to not extend to WINE or Linux at this time.  The Adobe Digital Editions information seems to have been crossed with a separate DRM issue, so I apologize for the confusion.

We support PC WIndows XP, 7, Vista and Mac OX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Reader 2
slkh
0 Kudos

A solution!

Finding that the textbook I need for my next course is available as an eTextbook from B & N, I really wanted to find a way to make Nookstudy work on my netbook under ubuntu 10.04.1. The clue really was in the error message - "The file type not supported in this application." For some reason, Nookstudy under wine on ubuntu does not process the downloaded books correctly. All the "book" files have the extension .tmp . Nookstudy downloads the files after the 1st time you try to open them. But to read them, Nookstudy requires them to have either the extension .epub (for library books, purchased books and various others) OR .pdf (for textbooks and any other pdf files).  There may be other types, but those are all I have found so far.

Install Nookstudy under wine, and also Adobe Digital Editions  under wine. If it does not open automatically,  open Nookstudy to register the app. You need to already have a Barnes & Noble account. With the Nook device, it was required to have the same password for adobe & Barnes & Noble. Not sure if that's required here, but I had them matching.

The following procedure is manual & will need to be repeated for each "book".

In Nookstudy, try to open some of the books in your library, including one of the sample 7 day trial textbooks. They will all fail to open with the "file type not supported" message, but that's okay. Wait after each book for the download to complete & get the error. After trying to open them all, exit Nookstud

Find the book files. They will be in a directory something like:

/home/username/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/<username/email you registered with>/

In that directory, you will see a bunch of .tmp files with their names corresponding to the books you tried to open.

For books -- NOT textbooks -- you purchased from Barnes & Noble, or checked out of a library, or have as samples from B&N, simply rename the files from

<bookname>.tmp to <bookname>.epub 

They will have already been fully downloaded when you tried to open them.

For textbooks, it's a little more complicated. The textbook will not have been downloaded. Instead, the .tmp file you see is really a piece of xml code of type acsm which contains information on how to download the real file. But Nookstudy under wine won't do that. Rename the textbook files

<bookname>.tmp to <bookname>.acsm

Now go open a browser -- I used firefox. From the browser menu, "File", "Open File", navigate to the file you renamed. A popup box will ask you what to open the file with -- Adobe Digital Editions is the default, use it. (If you try to change it to Nookstudy, it won't work.) This procedure will now use that .acsm file to actually download the book, which will open for now in Adobe Digital Editions. Then exit Digital Editions.  The file will have been downloaded to a directory with a name like: /home/username/My Digital Editions/  You will see one or more new .pdf files in that directory.

Open Nookstudy yet again. Click the "Add File" icon (the one at the top left with the plus sign).

From the popup that appears, navigate to the .pdf file in the "My Digital Editions" directory. Choose that file and it will be imported in Nookstudy.

If you now go to the My Library button, you will see 2 entries for your textbook - one next to a picture that just says "My Stuff" but has the bookname & author to the right, and a 2nd one with the picture of the cover. The useable ones are the "My Stuff" entries. Click on those and the textbook will open.

At this time, I have only downloaded the 7 day trial textbooks, not the real textbook I need, but all features I tested worked -- find, highlighting, notes, etc.

Good luck. I hope this is helpful.

... a real linux app would be much better.

New User
SilentSadist
0 Kudos

omg slkh you are da bomb!

Reader
Smeghead67
0 Kudos

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

I was starting to lose my mind unttill you pointed that out. I thought there was a new bug in wine with nook for pc.

Ted

New User
sneakershoe
0 Kudos

Thank you a million slkh! I was just wondering if my $100 had been spent for nothing.

Your method DOES work for e-textbooks.

I would only add that the download file for Adobe Digital Editions is here since the adobe site automatically recognizes the OS as being incompatible.

AND that your directions for downloading the e-book were not working for me. I ended up simply opening ADE and dragging the file (<name of textbook>.acsm) into the library to get it to download, and then it took about five minutes for ADE to look like it was doing anything (I'm not sure if this was because of using the latest version of wine?).

BUT it worked. Thanks so much!!

New User
shadowHH332
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKstudy/ereader on Linux

theonly issue w/DRM on *NIX is the ability to remove it.

Software has to do this to open the file.

I have Debian SQUEEZE and the latest wine installed from the repos(1.3.xx).

Here is what I did after 30 min of pulling out my hair.

Forget the following(does not work, hangs...):

--force-architecture on some *.deb file(I use 64bit Debian)

calibre(nice thought, though.)

anything else

Do the following:

Install Adobe Digital editions (1.72 is latest, MANUAL download option)

Go get the ebbok software for windows and install it(no issues)

--> It will hang when updating, but it downloads your files before crashing.

Go buy an ebook. Download it.Ignore the downloaded file.Just let the website update your library.You will not be able to open THIS file. You actually DL it twice.

Let the ereader app load and crash(unlock DRM purchased materiels). It only crashes when moving back to the library.Let it CRASH.

Go to (Home) ~/My B/N ebooks/

Your UNLOCKED books will be here. If you click on THIS version, Adobe DE will open it. If your try the first file, it will complain that the login may not match same as your BN one. Mine are different, so it complains, however, this may not be issue if yours match.

Adobe DOES USE DRM, however, this method removes the keylock to the BN website.

It works similar to how iTunes removes the keylock for "Digital Copy" on DVDs. You HAVE to purchase the book, but AFTER you do, you can remove the lock using the software that is SUPPOSED to read the file.(fair use rights) THEN, evin if DRM is still there, it can either be removed somehow or left alone(the file is unlocked for reading, viewing.....)

DRM Removal can get you in trouble, so be careful if you use this method.

Otherwise, (if you dont listen to me)  good luck reading your DRM LOCKED ebooks.

Thought this would help. I dont have ebooks for campus, but thanks for the info. I had some issue w/DeVry with similar in the past and couldn't figure out how to open the ebook.(staff (AND IT staff) were idiots....)

Will check out the study app, but my guess is you dont need it.

I dont have the .tmp file issue.My files were already in .epub when I found them.

New User
Radius611
0 Kudos

I agree, NookStudy needs to be available for Linux operating systems such as Ubuntu as well. it's a No cost operating system available to both Mac and PC, as well as a fast, and convientient system to for people to use on a regular basis. It's easily foreseeable that it can become as mainstream and Windows, and Mac OS due to its cost and flexibility. Also, since NookStudy is available for Mac, it should be a fairly simple transition to create a Linux version (I understand Mac's Unix based system is VERY similar to linux).

Thanks, BN, Please Consider that and Mac OS 10.5 (Really all OS X preferably)

New User
nardis_miles
0 Kudos

I just tried to install nookstudy on both 10.04 and 10.10 using wine 1.2. In both cases it seemed to install and it seemed to download a library. However, when I attempted to actuallty read something, I got the following message in a window.

file type not supported in this application (My library: 1018)

Any insight would be appreciated.

New User
Contradiction
0 Kudos

I find it quite disappointing that a device which was built on Android, which is a free, Linux-based mobile operating system, would not have an a application that runs natively in Linux. It seems that those who take advantage of what is available in the open-source community should have some interest in contributing to it.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

nardis_miles wrote:

I just tried to install nookstudy on both 10.04 and 10.10 using wine 1.2. In both cases it seemed to install and it seemed to download a library. However, when I attempted to actuallty read something, I got the following message in a window.

file type not supported in this application (My library: 1018)

Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm using Nookstudy on 10.10, but my version of Wine is 1.3.  It runs with no problem. 

Check your settings in Nookstudy.  Click the gear icon at the lower left and see that the credit card, Adobe info, etc are correct.

New User
bplipschitz
0 Kudos

Y'all are a step ahead of me.  Running Ubuntu 11.04 and wine 1.2, and while the NOOKStudy program seems to install, it won't run.  Says "We are sorry, but this Barnes & Noble application has encountered a problem and needs to close."  Running from a terminal with "wine NOOKStudy.exe" doesn't really produce anything useful, either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reader
Gene001
0 Kudos

I just installed NookStudy 2.1.2.28499 on my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop under WINE and it works great with no problem.  My whole library showed up immediately and all I had to do was click on a book to download it and view it in a few seconds.  Now, the first time I opened it I got a message saying it could not connect to the server.  I closed it and opened it again and from there I had to trouble.  I had Adobe Digital Editions already installed a while back and I've heard a few people say you need to have that running first.  Adobe was a pain to get running partially because you have to trick the website into thinking you're running a Windows computer.  That can usually be done with User Agent under Firefox.

I haven't tried to add any new books or used it with textbooks.  I'll let you know if I run into problems.