Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dedren

NookStudy for Android Tablets (Honeycomb)

Why it is time for Nookstudy for Android AND iPad2 or if nothing else a website alla Google Books/CourseSmart that can be read well on most (all?) webcapable devices?

1. In support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac computers, devices students most commonly use for studying. We will continue to innovate NOOkstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students' diverse needs and wants - stay tuned! 
    1. College students have the luxury of usually minimal expenses, their parents spend on them first, and they adopt new technology almost instantly (research is always about past events). Additionally, they can justify the cost with MUCH cheaper eTextbooks.
    2. In my own experience and a friend of mines from two popular universities, we have seen laptops already being outnumbered by iPads and even in the week since the Xoom launched several have appeared in different classes of mine
    3. NookStudy books can only be on two devices...smartphones outsell PCs/Macs/Laptops and tablets started outselling laptops in only 6 months after iPad launched and they are one of the most important, if not THE most important item to a college student.
    4. Laptops have to sit open on the desk to use them which blocks the professor from the student, so many professors ask them to be put down. Tablets can lay flat like a book
    5. I use my smartphone (Droid 1) with Coursesmart currently, but prefer the look and feel of NookStudy and my Nook app. I have found that highlighting (if done right) is much more intuitive experience even on the tiny screen of the smartphone. Other students in my classes have watched me and asked me how to do it and when they see how simple it is they all say, the same thing: I am doing that next semester!
    6. I wrote this on behalf of 17 other students
      1. 5 own the original iPad
      2. 6 own Xoom
      3. 3 are torn between Xoom/Galaxy 10/iPad2 but are buying one before summer classes
      4. 3 are waiting (read:saving) to buy Xoom (or other Android tablet) when 4G is installed on it (I am in this category)

Based on communication with other college students, I feel the current statistics don’t properly take into effect the social marketing that happens between students. The same effects that almost overnight determines what clothes, music, website (i.e. Facebook) is hip, is more rapidly driving the technology students use and research has not found a way to put a number on it. I believe the time to bring NookStudy to non-PC devices is already here and it is time to play some aggressive catching up.

New User
allisoncheri

Re: NookStudy for Android Tablets (Honeycomb)

[ Edited ]

I absolutely agree with this entire post. I think B&N is missing out on a huge market if they don't develop an Android application, especially with so many tablets hitting the market right now. Personally, I plan on picking up a 4G LG G-Slate when it hits the market later this month, and considering it weighs less than a quarter of what my laptop does, I'd much rather carry it around instead.

Another thing I think B&N may not have realized is that there's an increasing number of people going back to school, especially in the technology industry where things change on a monthly basis and keeping up can sometimes be the hardest part about working in the field. It's exactly what I'm doing, and most of this demographic, myself included, is big on early adoption of new technology.

Please, B&N, give us an Android version!

New User
Tekkie79
0 Kudos

I completely agree.

B&N - What is the status of creating an iPad and Android app?

New User
magdyreda
0 Kudos

Yes, yes and again YES...NookStudy and tablets are made one for the other. I own a Lenovo X201 Tablet and I love NookStudy...the problem? Each time I want to study, I have to wait an eternity for Windows7 to load...and each time I wonder why B&N doesn't take NookStudy to iPad or Android Tablets!!!?!??!

For me it should have been B&N priority...B&N, are you listening???

Frequent Contributor
WTibbs
0 Kudos

A great suggestion!  With NookColor updating to more of an actual tablet, we could see this happening.  The app market is still in works but who knows, the NookStudy app could become available when this releases....or it may not.  Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

New User
Sassdeux
0 Kudos

That would be amazing! As a 2-time grad student and community college instructor having all my notes in one place has been a must.   I have owned a slate PC since 2004 and a tablet pc since 2007.  With NookStudy for the pc, I now have an intuitive reader when I am reading and/or evaluating adoption texts. I have not been happy with CourseSmart and usually end up printing pages, which defeats the purpose of having a digital medium.

I am going to be getting a new slate pc here in the near future and think this would be a great combo with those new 1 GHZ core duo android smartphones. With that much processing power they should be able to handle a nook study app?   Shouldn't they? I mean if my my old 2004 Pentium M 1.1 GHz Fujitsu slate can, why not? I can be answering student questions while on the go, without having to have my slate or book nearby! :smileyhappy: Students love those prompt responses! 

When is the nook color updating? Having an android app by Fall term may be asking to much, but hey, no hurt in asking!  :smileyhappy:

New User
maygem82

I completely agree! I am at school for 9 hours at a time with no break in between classes and I do not want to lug around 5 books for each of my 5 classes nor do I want to lug around a $1300 laptop! Get with the program b&n...tablets are where its at. I always always always buy/rent books from them because I get free shipping with my members card but I'm heading out to buy an Acer tablet with android during tax free weekend and coursesmart.com is getting my money this year and I truly am sad about that but when it comes down to it; a $400 tablet vs the laptop vs heavy books...the tablet wins. And coursesmart.com has ALL the books I need in e format and b&n only had two. I am quite heartbroken but as they put it in their statement "a broke college kid has got to do what a broke college kid has got to do"...I summed up a bit.

B&N if you get with the times you can have me back! I hope you do!

New User
Jafragrl

My laptop is four years old and I cant afford the 600+ to get a new one. I am planning to get a NOOKColor so I can have an eReader with added benefits (it will replace my current NOOK) but I am very disappointed that there is no eStudy app available! My college books this year are going to be about $650.00, which is why I cant get a new laptop, so I am going to save money by getting the eTextbooks. What I dont like is that all of them are etext rentals, not purchases so I wont be able to refer to them later if I need to! All of my classes are online too so its going to be challenging enough having to switch back and forth between pages!

The NOOKs are eReaders so wouldnt it make sense to make the eStudy app available for eReaders first and then the desktop/laptop options?

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with the prior posters - it's well past time that nookstudy was available ofr Android/IPad's.  And as the prior poster mentioned it would be great if textbook publishers realized that most students want to keep their books.  eTexts are usually only good for X number of days even if you are "buying" them and not renting them.  I have many classes where I will go back to a book from a class a year ago to verify some tidbit of info.

New User
BYARBROUGH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

YES!!! We really need an Android App! PLEASE!!!

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

It would be nice to have android app. :smileyhappy: 

New User
shawndibble

I completely agree. I was planning on spending almost $500 for books this semester for my android tablet, but guess I will have to split that money up between other companies.

New User
vandymom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Everyone here is asking for the same thing. As a mother of a Vanderbilt student with 2 and 1/2 years to go, I can't imagine why Barnes and Noble has not made Nook Study and their eBooks available for Android tablets and iPads. It is becoming a huge market. I purchased a tablet for my daughter for the purpose of her not having to lug big science books around. Having to lug a laptop is not much better. Tablets are the future for students, especially specifically for this reason. They are small and lightweight, yet the screens on the newer tablets are plenty big enough to view a book page. It is unfortunate that B&N is behind the times on this issue as Vanderbilt just partnered with them for their new bookstore.  Sadly, we have had to buy books at CourseSmart instead. Please develop Android and iPad apps - now!  You are losing money!

New User
Techdude
0 Kudos

I dont think that they will create a nook study app for android. They may make it to where you can use nookstudy on their own b&n devices but creating an app will allow people to buy a cheaper tablet and just put the app on that. And lets face it they are a buisness and that would cut into their own profits.

New User
erincoogan
0 Kudos

it can be hacked...i overheard someone showing it to someone else.......i didnt see it, but the other guy was blown away!

New User
dreachan
0 Kudos

The B&N people should spend more their time trying to make nook study for the nook before anything its their own product for crying out loud. I bought a text book for college expecting to have it on my nook and nothing was said I couldn't do that I called the company all they said is ooh sory about that the files just to big. That's just wrong.

New User
saltTS
0 Kudos

I just bought my eTextBook from someone else because the Nook solution is to read it on my pc, when I have a perfectly functioning tablet, which runs CourseSmart just fine. CourseSmart isn't even that great, but hey it works, and that's more than I can say for NookStudy.  Better get on that B&N, before next semester.

New User
matt2121
0 Kudos

Other online retailers have support for all devices thru HTML5. Most places you study have wifi or a 3g/4g. I used Nook Study for about 20 minutes during a free trial but limiting the type of devices is a real deal breaker. Sometimes I want to use my Galaxy 10.1, sometimes I want to study from my laptop, sometimes at work or from my gf's laptop. Being able to read a chapter from my phone between classes is great. Glad I went somewhere else.

If B&N continues to let other retailers operate so far ahead of them they are sure to go the way of Borders.

Contributor
PatDCO
0 Kudos

I would pay the Nook Study on my ASUS Transformer.
Contributor
sandyia
0 Kudos

I really hope B&N gets an Android app for NookStudy.  My son is just starting college this fall and opted for an ASUS tablet which had much more storage at a cheaper price than an iPad.  He went to purchase etextbooks and ended up having to go to CourseSmart to purchase them.  He doesn't want to lug around a PC all day to class but taking a tablet with him will be very easy.  Many college students seem to be opting for tablets to take to class and the etextbooks need to be available on the tablets.