Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Boneleech
0 Kudos

Nookstudy Freezes upon opening Ebook

he first is that at some time, though working perfectly with PDF files I was importing, I opened a PDF file, which went full-screen, the navigation bars were no longer available and then the program frozed. When I tried to run NookStudy again, it opened the same PDF file the same way and then again collapsed. I had to uninstall and reinstall. But I still get the same problem.

The Ebook I am trying to open is Discovering Psychology It just hangs there, I even left it on for 8hrs and nothing changed.

Please help I need to study for a quiz due tomorrow!!

dddpppmmm
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy Freezes upon opening Ebook

My name is David McCarthy and I am a member of the Nookstudy team.  The issue i  a problem with this specific book. I have sent you a solution via email and will follow up with a perm solution shortly.

New User
Boneleech
0 Kudos

Thank you very much!

New User
ADOGNME
0 Kudos

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same book, Discovering Psychology. Please help.

dddpppmmm
0 Kudos

The file we recieved from the publisher has a problem. We have a new one. I have emailed you both with instructions on how to get the correct copy. 

Thanks for your patience.

V4L
New User
V4L
0 Kudos

I am having the exact problems with the following books:

-The American Pageant

-Cengage Advantage Books (American Passages: A History of the United States)

-The Faiths of the Founding Fathers

New User
bb212
0 Kudos

Same issue with "Biochemistry, 6th ed. by J. M. Berg, J.M. Tymoczko, & L. Stryer. Thank you for your time.

Contributor
wangchung81
0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm an IT System Admin by trade, so calling in to B&N's helpline and having someone read me scripted "Have you tried uninstalling it?" troubleshooting, especially when I opened the call listing the steps I've already taken, is... not helpful.

Book - Archetypes of Wisdom: An Introduction to Philosophy

ISBN - 0495603821

It's only THIS book itself, I've tried all the samples and other books available on the shelves. I tried this originally to save myself $30, but now I'm 3 weeks into the semester without a book.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are currently investigating this issue.  We hope to have a soution for you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience. 

Contributor
wangchung81
0 Kudos

My patience is wearing thin. I've had to call two more times with no resolution. The person on the phone had the nerve to ask me WHERE I got my eTextbook, AFTER I had already given him my:

1. Name

2. E-mail Address

3. Ticket number (which should've had the information from the other calls)

4. Order number of the book

5. I TOLD HIM "...ORDERED THE NOOKSTUDY BOOK FROM YOUR WEBSITE..."

I'm normally not obnoxious on the internet, I abhor it, but I'm so tired of this. I have a test next week and I'm a month behind now. If I can't get this resolved by tomorrow I'm getting my money back.  Damn shame.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried to remove the local copy (Click on Book Info -> Remove Local Copy) and download the book again? 

See if that solves the issue.  If not please send me the best way we can reach you.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
wajjer
0 Kudos

I am having a similar issue with a book I purchased, Microbiology: Principles and Explorations / Edition 7 by Jacquelyn G. Black, and I did remove the local copy & re-download the book.  Still freezes.  It's quite frustrating and disruptive!

Contributor
wangchung81

**SOLVED** Finally, after having to escalate to a supervisor over the phone, I have the issue fixed... sort of.  Long story short, B&Ns NookStudy program is BROKEN. Here is the solution:

1. Download NookStudy and install it

2. Buy your book, and download it to the NookStudy. DO NOT open the book though.

Register your computer as the computer you want to read your book on.

3. Close NookStudy, and do not ever open the program again (unless you buy a new book and need to download it.)

4. Go to Adobe's website and download Adobe Digital Editions (A.D.E). This will be the program you will be using from now on.

5. Install Adobe Digital Editions, and at the top click "Library" then "Add Item to Library"

6. In your My Documents folder, there should be another folder titled "My Barnes & Noble eBooks." This is where your downloaded books are located.  Add them to Adobe's program.

7. Enjoy your book, without using B&Ns broken and poorly coded version of A.D.E.

The "removing it from library" and readding and uninstalling/reinstalling were a complete waste of time. The PDF was there all along. B&N's help line kept telling me to click on the "download file" link on the book on their website, and I kept telling them THERE ISN'T ONE. If you could just download it as a file from the website, would completely defeat the purpose of the DRM they tried to implement. You can only download the file via the NookStudy program, but once that's done you can read it with A.D.E.

With XP users, the file(s) should be located under "C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks". For Vista/Windows 7 users, the B&N folder should be under your "Users" folder and "My Documents." If all else fails, just do a Search in windows for "*.pdf" (make sure to include the asterisk) and it should pull up that way.

To recap, B&N's program is BROKEN and needs patched or re-coded. Furthermore, and most important, their support team needs better training in supporting their program. If they would've just told me that the book was stored as a PDF in my My Documents folder to begin with and not some hidden encrypted file (which I'm still figuring out the purpose for  the HTML files in their install folder) then I could've been better off by a month.

Contributor
wangchung81

What's really discouraging is that 2 weeks have gone by with my post telling people NOT to use B&Ns product on their own website and there has been no rebuttal or alternate solution from a moderator or technician or anyone that has the ability to fix their own software. So disappointing.

Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

This doesn't work for epubs, btw.  :smileysad:

I've got a broken textbook and I stay on hold for 30 minutes without getting to talk to anyone when I call help desk.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi, What is the issue with your eTextbook? What textbook are you trying to open and what is happeing at the moment you are trying to do this? Thanks, Erin
Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick

[quote]Hi, What is the issue with your eTextbook? What textbook are you trying to open and what is happeing at the moment you are trying to do this? Thanks, Erin[/quote]

Well, after spending better than an hour and a half on three different phone calls to B&N Tech support and finally INSISTING that my issue get forwarded to someone in Content, it was finally agreed that there is a content problem with this text... it gets to a certain page, or trying to access the index, it shuts down NookStudy.

The people at CS were LESS than helpful, even when I gave extensive and detailed accounts of exactly what was happening.  Ended up uninstalling NookStudy, insstalling the regular Nook software, trying a bunch of different things that were useless and ended up costing me in that several of my textbooks had copy/paste features but only on the first registration, so when I re-downloaded those books after my reinstall, I no longer have copy/paste.

This product is NOT ready for prime time.  I'm a long-time (20+ yrs) computer geek by profession and have been eagerly anticipating the transition to electronic books, especially for textbooks.  I'm an early adopter of the nook and am very disappointed with this effort, especially the lack of understanding of their own product by CS.

Contributor
wangchung81
0 Kudos

Try to search for "*.epub" on your computer and try to use either Adobe Digital Editions to open it, or Firefox's EPUBReader add-on. I agree with you though, B&N severely dropped the ball on their product and their support, and I WILL NOT be getting another digital book in any respect from them ever again.