New User
KoolKitty
0 Kudos

Nookstudy eTextbooks Free 7 day trial

Hi Everyone,

How exactly does the 7 day free trial work? I'm new to all this eTextbooks thing so I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or if I want to purchase just yet.

For example, if I sing up for the seven day trial will I be asked for my credit card #?

Thanks

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy eTextbooks Free 7 day trial

Hi,

7-Day Free trials get you full access to the entire book, however you will not be able to copy or print pages from the book during this trial period.  We recommend you use this time to become familiar with the NOOKstudy application and test drive the book. 

When selecting a 7-Day Free trial you should not be asked for your Credit Card # at this time.  At the end of your Free Trial, you will have the option to buy or rent the eTextbook. 

I hope this cleared up any questions you have.  Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
chloe263
0 Kudos

Im having the same problem and its getting really frustrating. I tried to download a copy of the text American Foreign Policy: Pattern and Process and I was asked for my credit card info. What happened to the free 7 day trial???

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some books have different Digital Rights Management (DRM) rules, these are rules that have been set by the publishers to prevent unauthorized reproduction of their textbooks.  Some require you to enter your Credit Card.  Please note that you will not be charged. 

Thanks,
Erin

New User
sson0825
0 Kudos

I clicked on the 7 day trial and was prompted to enter my credit card so I did, but then it said "order confirmed" and I was charged!! How do I go about fixing this? 

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you have the Free Trial already?  Can you please tell me which book you were trying to get a Free Trial for?  I'd like to make sure there is not issue with that link.

To get a refund you will need to call Customer Service: 1-800-THE-BOOK.  Please explain to them what happened and they will issue a refund.

Thanks,
Erin

New User
Ioannis92
0 Kudos

I got asked by credit card details also... I put them in and it says it charged me $0.00 and my shipment date will be updated soon for 'Elements of Electromagnetics' ... it was an ebook, horrible first impression of your site and the price of some your school ebooks... $100 etc, you know you can find these online for free? the only adv to use nook is some of the features which are not worth $100, sort your academic side of business out this is insulting to all college students.

New User
Ioannis92
0 Kudos

OH and i cannot remove my credit card details unless i put another payment method for the $0.00 i owe... seriously ...

New User
1Kamichama
0 Kudos

If I have downloaded the 7-day Free Trial and click 'Rent Now' is it normal for it to say what I'm renting, the price of it, how many days of the rent and say that it's will charge any giftcards before my credit card? I'm scared it will charge my credit card when I just want a free trial. The options after it are confirm or cancel.
Thank you.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Hi Kamichama,

The FREE trial is just that.  The messages that you are seeing are part of "purchasing" a book.  If you search 0.00 you will be sent to a page that has thousands of free NOOK books that cost nothing but you still have to go through the process to download them as well.

Fear not, free is really free, when the book expires, you will be given a reminder that you can purchase the book or not at that time.

Enjoy.

D

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

One other thing, as long as you don't follow through with the Rent Now area you won't be charged for the Free trial.
New User
excustomer
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble sucks and got rid of their textbook trials. I looked last week to see if theyd have a trial of a book I thought would help me, this week when I went to use the trial, the option to rent for 7 days was gone. Jerks.

Frequent Contributor
Davan

Barnes and Noble does not determine what books get a free trial, that is decided by the publishers, if you want a free trial of a book, let the publishers know.  Don't slam BN for something that is out of their control.

Contributor
moosiefate
0 Kudos

many of us feel the same as you excustomer. despite this fact nothing will change and its pointless to try. i suggest you follow the rest of us and take oure buisinees elswhere. you should try ecampus btw. im getting my books from them for next semester.

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

After my last post I went on the site and still found a bunch of free trial books, one that comes to mind right off of the bat is Adobe Illustrator, Classroom in a book.  Like I said last time, BN does not determine what books are allowed to be a free trial, that is up to the publisher.  If you want a free trial, contact the publisher and let them know.  BN does not create the free trials, the publishers do.

Reader
egnarorm

Davan,

I think you're misunderstanding the complaint that people have been making against Barnes and Noble's 7-day trials over the last 2-3 months. The "7-day trial" page, here

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookstudy-etextbooks-free-trial/379002672/

does indeed still link to a small selection of textbooks with "Download Trial" links provided. HOWEVER, the click-through "See more eTextbooks with Free Trials" is specificaly meant to bring up ONLY the Nook Study books whose publishers have enabled the free trial. In fact, the list of ~16,000 textbooks that comes up when you click that link is almost identical to the list that came up months ago. The difference is that, since Barnes and Noble updated the design of their individual product pages, there is now NO means to download the 7-day trial for any of these books. This means either that

1: The publishers for more than 15,000 textbooks have simultaneously rescinded the rights to their 7-day trials, or

2. Barnes and Noble has decided to stop offering 7-day trials, but has not updated their website to make this information clear, or

3. Barnes and Noble's new site design "broke" the link to the free-trial downloads for the books that used to exist.

I don't know which of these options is correct, but I doubt that #1, the option your answers keep suggesting, is correct.

Note that even the textbooks with free trials listed on the very first page I mentioned do NOT have a link to download their free trial anywhere on their individual product pages; for example: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/guide-to-mla-documentation-joseph-f-trimmer/1100557650?ean=978061896...

It seems most likely that this is a site design issue or policy change on Barnes and Noble's part, and I'd like to see some OFFICIAL clarification on this change.