Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SirNoobs

Re: Nookstudy for Ipad?

This is ridiculous, I should've done more research before buying an eTextbook. I needed to read a philosphy book and I found the digital copy available on Barnes & Noble's website, only to find out I can't bring the textbook to school through the means of an iPad.

My university provided incoming freshmen with iPad 2s and I was able to find a few digital copies of textbooks for other classes floating around online :smileywink:. Let me say, being able to store and view textbooks on your iPad is awesome because you don't have to carry heavy textbooks and you can read them during your commute or whatever. I use the iPad as a notetaker as well so I found that I didn't need a laptop and in fact, I've seen students at my school use an iPad with a keyboard-case or stylus take notes than laptops.

My recommendation is this: if you currently bring a laptop to school and your professor allows you to use a laptop, the NOOK Study app is great for you. If you bring a portable tablet such as an iPad, Android, HP Touchpad, etc. reconsider before buying that eTextbook!

And please Barnes & Nobles, develop an app quickly so students can use NOOK study on tablets! You'll get more business from students, knowing they can purchase a digital copy and bring it where ever. While "95 percent of higher education students own a PC or Mac" (according to a B&N spokeswoman in the PCMag.com article: "Barnes & Noble Unveils 'Nook Study' App, Textbook Rentals"), they're not taking into account students who commute and use desktops at home or perhaps even students who live on campus and use the school provided computers. Now it seems that "...purchasing a dedicated device which we believe is really important for cost-conscious students," applies to those who don't have a laptop to bring to school.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367335,00.asp#fbid=Tjlkt8lmZPx

New User
RAb24

[ Edited ]

Ok "Moderator" keep telling yourselves that the iPad isn't in demand in the same level as PCs and/or laptops.  The fact remains, deny this fact at your peril, is that the recent forms of tablets (iPad, Androids, etc.) are becoming cheaper alternatives to computers.  This is the main reason why Coursesmart, or more recently, "Kno"  will be the leaders when it comes to etextbooks.  They have the tablet AND laptop options available. 

New User
eyeballer
0 Kudos

B&N doesn't care about iPad customers -- LETS GO TO AMAZON!!!!

[ Edited ]

Dear B&N:

The fact that people have been asking for an iPad app for over a year now, with no significant feedback from your company, means that B&N doesn't think it's a priority right now.  Fortunately, we live in a free, capitalist society whereby if B&N doesn't supply what we need, then we, the consumer, are free to patronize other companies.

Currently, Amazon has listened to this demand, and e-textbooks can be read on its iPad app.  B&N will either ignore this market and claim it is too small to worry about, or it will announce its own iPad solution and try to catch up with Amazon. 

Just one thing, B&N:  please don't insult our intelligence by saying things like you're "trying to best serve your customers," or  "textbooks don't display well on the lower resolution of the iPad."   You're not doing us any favors by denying us choices, and  let us decide if we want to put up with the lower resolution.  We all know that you're only doing what you think will make you the most money:  negotiating with publishers and paying programmers to create the app, vs. just keeping the status quo.

New User
roxaphi

Re: B&N doesn't care about iPad customers -- LETS GO TO AMAZON!!!!

Dude if I wanted to use anything BUT the ipad i probably wouldn't be a college student. I would most likely be my mom, or a housewife. College kids use ipads and apparently enough of your customers use ipad for you to have the Nook app so WTF???!!!!! I will say your e-book is by far the best I've used, and I get what you are saying about Nook not being able to edit and add notes and have all the features. However, many other programs have the same problems and they still have apps! For example, I use a program on my laptop called Mental Case for making flashcards. I then sync it to my ipad and study them on the ipad app but i don't edit them on it. And that's all we want here. To be able to read our stupid book on a smaller device, just like every other e-book buyer! It sucks not being able to lay in bed under the covers and read at 4am the night before a test! Cut us a break! We spend a fortune on this crap! Can't you do us a freaking favor and be a pal???!!! I would pay for this app! I'd grumble and moan about it but this would help me out SOOOO much! So, here I am a loyal customer, complimenting your product, and offering money, so will you just MAKE THE FREAKING APP???!!!!!

New User
Closs_the_man
0 Kudos

It's been at least 6 months since this discussion started and B&N has yet to make a move on allowing textbooks to go on the iPad Nook app. There are now other services offering this at the same or lower price. They have iPad compatibility. Classes finish in december and most students buy their textbooks for the next semester sometime between now and the first week of January. If this isn't resolved by then, I will be taking my business elsewhere. I was thinking about buying a nook for my wife for christmas but if B&N want to remain this far behind the ball then I will definitely be looking at a kindle fire or iPad 2 instead. Good luck recovering from the massive drop in business that is about to take place because of your irrelevance in the online market place.
New User
SimonaHoyos
0 Kudos

Seriously!! Not available for Ipad?

I am a mother, a full time student and I work full time. My Ipad serves me multiple services. I need to be able to study anywhere. Not tied to a PC. Please Please re-consider quickly!!! I rather not buy the actual textbook. But It may result to that and if I do it won't be from B&N. Sorry just keeping it real.

New User
braindamigedppl
0 Kudos

It's been since august of 2010 since we heard anything from a mod about happenings for ipad nookstudy app. Is it safe to say its just not going to happen? If so what a shame. It could have really been a useful tool to many people. Hope to see it soon in the future but the fact is its now 2012 and B&N hasn't answered to these customers wants since at least 2010 leaving us very pessimistic about the whole thing.

New User
Dovelette
0 Kudos

When you have the book list for your courses, just take the ISBN and go to Amazon to find the book.  There you will find:

1. eTextbooks that can be read on an iPad!

2. More titles in eformat!  When I originally tried to get my books from B&N at school, 2 of the 6 books weren't offered as eTextbooks.  On Amazon, all 6 were available.

3. Lower prices!  Yes, what I would have paid at B&N was significantly reduced.  My shopping cart at B&N was $277.  Amazon? I paid $180.

B&N obviously can't figure out how to offer choices to it's customers, so the answer is we no longer remain their customers.  Also, I have multiple apps and productivity tools and find that the Kindle app allows me to highlight text, book mark pages, and add notes, which is sufficient for my needs (would I be doing more than that with a paper book??)

And for the record, roxiphi - my 65 year old mom has an iPad, and I as a graduate student still do prefer to write lengthy papers on a laptop. 

New User
kbh81
0 Kudos

Everyone,

I got burned buying one of thier Nook Study e-textbooks.  I can understand their "reasons" for not offering nook study on the ipad.  They have their own tablet product to promote.  HOWEVER, Nook Study doesn't even run on their Nook Color or Nook Tablet. 

So I chalk their not having this for a tablet up to their being lame.  Simple as that.  Well, that, and greed. The PC product is so constrained that I can't even open a book THAT I PURCHASED at an exorbitant price (relative to the cost to produce it) unless I am connected to the internet.

Contributor
angcocch
0 Kudos

Please, please, please release the app. In these economic times we can't always be at home on our pc. I need access to my textbook while I am on the road, in class or on a break at work. I wish I would have known there wasn't an app for the ipad. Now that I know I think I may have to look at other providers so I can have better ease of access.

New User
CarinaMarano
0 Kudos

The lack of an iPad app is the one thing holding me back from purchasing anything via nook study. The laptop app looks amazing and great for writing a paper and reviewing the material. Yet, I do most of my digital reading on the iPad as it's more portable and more comforatble to engage with.

I would love an iPad app with even just the basic functionality of reading, highlighting, and note taking. If this could then sync to the laptop app for flash card making and paper writing it would be the ultimate study system. And nook study would have the advantage to all other forms of ebook/digital textbook providers, as so far the Kindle apps have the best syncing system, yet their functionality isn't nearly comparible to the nook study.

Please release and iPad.

Contributor
angcocch
0 Kudos

B&N must release a Nook Study IPad app. It is a travesty that I can't access my textbook on my tablet. I spent over $100 on my book and can't use it in class. If you agree, repeat this message.

Contributor
angcocch
0 Kudos

B&N must release a Nook Study IPad app. It is a travesty that I can't access my textbook on my tablet. I spent over $100 on my book and can't use it in class. If you agree, repeat this message.
Contributor
angcocch
0 Kudos

Unfortunate that B&N hasn't released an IPad app for Nookstudy. It is just too incontinent to be tied to my home computer as a full time teacher and part time night student. Oh well, I wish this wasn't the case. I will never buy from B&N again.
Contributor
angcocch
0 Kudos

Boo! Semester is overand still no nookstudy for iPad. I guess next semester I'll have to get my textbook from a competitor.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

New User
Davidisreadingnow
0 Kudos

Nope. Not there.
New User
totalbs
0 Kudos

barns and noble you will never receive another dollar from me. i hope you go out of business you have wasted both my time and money and have completely ruined a semester which was pose to be a cake walk with your fascist product. If I bought it I should be able to use it on what ever device is at my disposal

never again!

New User
GMRKitty
0 Kudos

Ok, so it says coming soon, but is there an actual release date?  Or is it just going to say "coming soon" forever?

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

We don't have a specific release date to announce yet. We will let you know as soon as we're able to make a release date available.

Thanks,

Erin