New User
sfdeadhead
0 Kudos

Nookstudy for Ipad?

Is B&N working on an app for that?!?!  I use nookstudy for my college textbooks as it is easier to carry around a portable device than several books.  I recently purchased an ipad thinking it would be the easiest way to get around with said nookstudy books only to find out you guys don't support the Ipad.  This was a big letdown.  An Ipad app would be so convenient. 

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy for Ipad?

We appreciate your passion for the iPad; it is exciting.

However, in support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac laptops and desktops, devices students most commonly use for studying.

We will continue to innovate with NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

We appreciate your passion for the iPad; it is exciting.

However, in support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac laptops and desktops, devices students most commonly use for studying.

We will continue to innovate with NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!

New User
Deamos
0 Kudos

I just noticed that with the recent update to the iPad Nook software, that the NOOKstudy books are now showing up in the book listings.  However, these books will not download.  Is this a sign of intent to try to get NOOKstudy to work with the iPad or is it just poor programming?

Tanuja_Gupta
0 Kudos

A sign of good things to come - stay tuned!

New User
the_oneIQ
0 Kudos

I am using nookstudy for my college classes and it would be great if B&N will make a nookstudy app because i'm planning to buy an Ipad next week. As a nursing student, it would be great if I can access my nursing books on the Ipad through nookstudy.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

It would be great if nookstudy were on  the ipad - I just downloaded a huge "pile" of college prep books free from Kaplan (in ibooks), but can't access the nookstudy books there.

For those with an ipad, there are 100 free books from Kaplan this week (I have the entire list on my blog, as Kaplan's website isnt' really live yet). Includes a number of books for college, grad school, law school, nursing school, etc. At $5-$10 each, if you were to find them all useful, it would be worth the cost of the smallest iPad just in books from this one source!

Karen
Books On The Knob - a blog about free and bargain books
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com
Twitter - @BooksOnTheKnob

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
New User
lfoc
0 Kudos

"We appreciate your passion for the iPad; it is exciting.

However, in support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac laptops and desktops, devices students most commonly use for studying. We will continue to innovate with NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!"

You say this but as far as I can see NOOKstudy is not easily accessable for those with Mac computures without costing those that cannot afford to by a computer upgrade a lot of spending. In the end I might as well buy a brand new textbook for the amount this would cost. Using NOOKstudy on my ipad would be ideal. If their is a version of the program that can be used with Mac os x 10.5.8 I would love to hear about it - otherwise i have a useless ebook!!

New User
jhonu
0 Kudos

Today, I tried the Nookstudy program on the MAC. This is clearly the preferred software program over the B & N ereader since it can SYNC with Nook on my iPad and iPhone! Notes and highlights made on the iPad just need to be categorized in the NookStudy.

The sync process must be done twice and can only be performed in the library. So far I have only tried the ebooks, not etextbooks but I suspect iPad will get eTextbook capability. 

One glitch with synchronizing:

When finishing making notes and highlights with one device (iPad), I synced the Nook on iPad while having Nookstudy on my MAC open at the same time.

On the MAC, I then synchronized Nookstudy but the changes didn't fully go through on the same book until I exited and restarted Nookstudy on the MAC.

New User
IKareem
0 Kudos

I'm very setup that BN didn't create a NookStudy app for the iPad, iPhone, Android, or other portable devices besides the pc or laptop. My university offers nookstudy with a wide variety of textbooks in the book store. At the very least it should be avaliable on your own product, theNook.

Also, Nookstudy should be cloud-based so that students are able to view on mutliple computers   or allow more than 2 computers to have access to single texbook. BN missed an opportunity to gain a better marketshare in the e-textbook market. I hope BN learns from this mistake and creates an app for many devices.

New User
IgorT
0 Kudos

Nookstudy for Ipad?

Guys, get on with the iPad app thing? Doesn't it just make perfect sense to turn the iPad into a classroom tool with NookStudy? I say you give the Apple dudes a call and launch a massive iPad+NookStudy campaign - "Classroom Technologies" or something. You'll create an entire eTextbook market on a device that is made for that!

New User
m210
0 Kudos

I completely agree. How embarassing. Totally missed the mark! They should write a textbook about how Barnes and Noble missed the mark about Etextbooks! Seriously, many people have adopted the iPad and are on the prowl to find a good reputable etextbook company that we can use! It's an application for the iPad and not rocket science. If Barnes and Noble can do it for Windows and Mac OS then the iPad and cannot do it for the iPad - I would hire a new progamming department. One more thing B&N should note is that this world moves at a very fast pace... paper books are a thing of the past, they should definately consider where they are investing their money. How many people want to filip the page of an e-textbook on their laptop when they could be using the NOOK on the iPAD! come on guys!

New User
m210
0 Kudos

Also,

Its the early adoption of market share... hello! If B&N does not create a etextbook app soon, other companies will make one... It takes more time to discuss why B&N is not creating an app for the iPAD than it does to build one! So build one! Come on guys! Get with it - it's 2010!

New User
jcisneros88
0 Kudos

Dear BN,

Please, please. please, with cherries and sugar on top, hurry with the NookStudy iPad app. I can't wait until I can actually TAKE my etextbook to class as I only have a PC and and iPad. Thanks a buuuunch. The world is waiting :smileyvery-happy:

New User
darstudyipad
0 Kudos

I second the plea for the iPad Nookstudy app!!!  PLEASE!!!  It is so much easier to use a digital reader for etextbooks than a laptop or PC.  

If it is on the horizon, can you give us an idea of how soon we can anticipate this app?  We appreciate the tools you've developed so far, just prefer to use a smaller, more portable device than the PC or laptop!  Certainly makes a difference for those of us who would like to highlight important text during the lecture!

New User
jonas-
0 Kudos

You can use your nookstudy on the ipad!

Create a B&N account. 

Download the nook app to your ipad.

Download nookstudy to your computer.

Add your books.

They will now be in your ipad in your nook app. too.

New User
mesflash
0 Kudos

Ok, I have a PC and an IPad. I've purchased the IPad specifically for use in my graduate studies. On my PC I have both the NOOK and the NOOKstudy. On the IPad I have NOOK. My IPad sync's with my PC through ITunes. I purchased (or rather rented) a college ebook from B&N via my PC and downloaded it with no problem. I can read the college course ebook on my PC in both the NOOk and the NOOKstudy. I sync'd my IPad to my PC though ITunes and all the ebooks that did not require NOOKstudy were transferred to my IPad, except for the college rented ebook.

Question: What the heck (and I'm being nice here) Happened?

Barnes and Noble, I purchased the rented ebook from you under the impression that you supported the IPad needs with NOOKstudy. I intended to use the IPad in my course study in preparation for the final report / exam in December. Are you or are you Not going to be able to support the time line? If not will you please tell us. My course study is a Master of Science in Quality Assurance. Apparently B&N has a serious customer quality issue. Posting a false advertisement implying that you sale ebooks that are usable on IPads is a grand way to turn customers away from your products and creating non-complementary postings that are not in B&N's favor. I'd advise your web department to place a notice on you web sales page to Not bother purchasing ebooks for IPads that require NOOKstudy until further notice. Now that I think about it, since your quality department (if you have one) is so delinquent in their responsible duties, perhaps this is a time to plug B&N for a quality assurance manager position.

Here's hoping B&N finally get it all together very soon.

New User
cgrg
0 Kudos

You can see them in your nook app but you can't download them. Nook is not capable of opening nook study items. However if you convert the nookstudy book to a pdf you can then open in through ibooks, the only problem is that you can't mark it up like you can in the nookstudy program.

New User
ems45
0 Kudos

I chalk this up to nothing more than greed on the part of B&N. It's clearly unavailable for Ipad due to the tight restrictions of the software designed to protect B&N's profits and copyrights, not concerns about the utility to the end user. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I never would have paid for this if I knew how tightly restricted its use would be. I will make a point not to buy textbooks at B&N any longer.

New User
mikeh0278
0 Kudos

I have to agree with the general commentary here. With the technology of book readers and the ipad; why start with the desktop. I am making purchasing decisions by what I can put on the ipad. Why carry a 5 pound book with me when I can put the majority of my tools in one device. Brick and Mortar is on a downhill slide you need to stay in front and be the innovator. Also, if a title is going to be offered as an eBook, be consistent on options. Some people buy texts for a class and never want to see the text again; others buy texts and want to keep them for reference in the future. The same things happened 30 years ago, please keep the options in the digital era.