Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
AlanG24
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy for Ipad?

The moderator has noted that B&N chose to launch NookStudy for PCs & Macs first because that's what most students use.

I'd just like to point out that there may well be a market beyond students for NookStudy and NookStudy for the iPad: adults who actually continue to study and learn about new things!

For example, I am studying to learn Spanish. How wonderful it would be to have my text and workbooks open alongside a Spanish dictionary, or the Spanish novel I'm reading.

Addtionally, I study the Bible and frequently use a Bible dictionary and 2-3 commentaries (e.g., Matthew Henry's Concise Bible Commentary).

I have an iPad and would MUCH rather have everything on it vs. my laptop which, even though it's fairly small, is still many pounds heavier.

Thanks for hurrying to develop and launch NookStudy for the iPad.

AG

New User
jcisneros88
0 Kudos

Hi, it's me again. Dying for an iPad app. I attend Texas A&M ( I don't know how other schools do it) and eTextbooks are available through different programs. I have NookStudy, CourseSmart, and VitalSource. CourseSmart is by far my absolute favorite. I have my textbook on the Internet, on my iPad AND on my PC. It has fantastic features (highlighting, notes, copy, print, even a ruler for easy reading) just like the ones NookStudy offers, however they are available to me whenever I need or want them. I only mention this to prove that it can be done! Both CourseSmart and VitalSource have iPad apps and the textbooks are available online. B&N you're about to be out paced. If an app is far in the future, can we a least get books online? Geez. A new semester is coming up quickly and if I have a choice, I'll be renting eTextbooks through a different program.
Contributor
jsfiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am MUCH mroe interested in seeing NookStudy available on some of the Android tablets coming out, e.g. Notion Ink Adam and Entourage Edge (which is already out). I'm not really a fan of the iPad.

Although in truth, it isn't an either or thing,

New User
jcisneros88
0 Kudos

cgrg wrote:

You can see them in your nook app but you can't download them. Nook is not capable of opening nook study items. However if you convert the nookstudy book to a pdf you can then open in through ibooks, the only problem is that you can't mark it up like you can in the nookstudy program.

How did you do this? I can't seem to figure it out. Please help thanks.

New User
cgrg
0 Kudos

You need photoshop or some photo editing software and adobe. Simply take a screen shot of the page, trim that screen shot down to just the text book page, save that as an image. Then take your images and bring them into adobe, it will convert the image into a pdf image, which allows for zooming and staying clear, plus still has all your highlights. Once all the images are in the pdf creator make sure they are in the correct order and save the pdf. It sounds llike a lot more than it actually is.

New User
m210

If B&N is concerned about the economy and providing the best product at a great price... B&N should consider writing a WEB based application that is viewable on all WEB enabled devices.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Okay, a mod said that seeing our etextbooks in the Nook app on iPad/iPhone was a sign of good things to come.  That was back in August.  Is anything coming yet?  My first class in an online MBA program starts on January 3.  Since I'm planning on downloading any texts that I can, I have waited to order because I wanted to see what happened.  I was really hoping that B&N would jump in to the 21st century and actually either allow etextbooks to be read in the iOS apps or, what a novel concept, on their own devices!  I might have purchased a Nook Color to save a little money if I could read my textbooks on it.  Since I can't, I'll probably be purchasing an iPad and buying my etexts through CourseSmart since they already have an iPhone/iPad app!  I really wish B&N would get with it, though, because I'd like to be able to buy a Nook Color instead. Unfortunately, classes start in less than a month so I don't have time to sit around and wait.......

Reader 2
jessicalynn385
0 Kudos

I just came on here to post something similar. I'm really not surprised this has already been posted. I'm so disappointed I can't read an etextbook from b&n on my ipad. I'm glad I only downloaded a free 7 day trial!

New User
jayd2
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree more with the users in this forum. Beginning with a desktop application, despite the research you offer, is truly a backwards process. Portable devices - tablets like the iPad especially - are becoming essential tools for education and offer advantages over carrying a computer. I bring my iPad to class and am able to carry my textbooks (from Amazon I might add) as well as the ability to work on reports and projects without worrying about battery life. Having a program on my desktop/laptop is not all that important as they sit at home and get used at the end of the day while my iPad and my android tablet are with me at all times due to convenience and versatility.

Please get a handle on things and work on a iPad/Android app. I chose to check out BN textbooks in e-format becuase you offer page numbers which are essential when in college and gives you an advantage over Amazon's location numbers.

New User
e49418
0 Kudos

It's now been 4 or 5 months since anyone from B&N posted to this thread. Any progress?

Without an iPad app, I've purchased my last Nook Study book.

Thanks.

New User
puddah01
0 Kudos

I have been waiting patiently for the the nookstudy app, it's now 2011 there hasnt been an upgrade since last year around this time. I would be so much easier if I can get my textbooks on my Ipad it's just such a convenience. I can't wait for it to come out and I am hoping it will come out soon.

Can we please get a Nookstudy App

New User
Angryfafnir
0 Kudos

Sooooooo

Any Response from anybody at BN?  3 classes into my MBA and I am done with paper text books.  The question is does BN support IPAD or do I find another vendor for my etext needs?

New User
puddah01
0 Kudos

There is an update, they said they are working on it but it will not be out by this semester if they do end up being successful in creating this it may come out around the end of the summer but it's not a guarantee.

New User
litcr17
0 Kudos

NO etextbooks on nook color....WTH

[ Edited ]

I just went out and spent $300 on a nook color, thinking that I could download my textbooks to it... well I was wrong... I guess I should have done a little more research... A message to B & N...Just think of all the money you are losing out on from students who want to use a ereader for school.... looks like I will be taking my nookcolor back and getting a refund=( Very disappointed!!!

New User
Holmes179
0 Kudos

How much begging to do we have to do to get an app for the ipad?? I am a Nursing Student and got some ebooks, what a big disappointment that I can not use them with my Ipad.

B&N Please hear our cry!!! Work with apple!! My laptop is heavy, along with my other books I could not get as ebooks, that is the whole point of an ipad!!

New User
Dagnaabit
0 Kudos

SOLUTION!!!!

[ Edited ]

I just ran in to the same problem! BUT there IS a way to get your textbooks on your ipad!!! Go to your app store and download the regular Nook app, then when it asks you to log in, log in with your NookStudy email address and password and vuala!! I did have to go online and enter a default credit card for my account at the barnes and noble nook website but they didn't charge anything to it, I think it's more of a CYA thing. BUT... you can get your nookstudy books on your iPad!

I was SO relieved when it worked because I was about to go buy the hard cover copy, haha.

BEFORE YOU TRY THIS:

You have to create your nookstudy account and download everything on your PC/Mac and get everything set up so when you download the app on your iPad it's all set and ready because since there isn't a NookStudy app itself, you can't create or alter any account info, so make sure it's all set up on your PC/Mac first!!

Hope this helps guys!!!

-MC

~~Update~~

The only error I've run in to with this is that with some textbooks I get the "We're sorry. An unknown server error has occured. Please try your download again later." I've done a lot of research and it says that you should turn off your iPad completely then turn it back on and try again, or uninstall the app and reinstall it. Someone also said that with textbooks that are high in graphics wont run, but that was reguarding the iPhone. I'm having issues with my french textbook now but I restarted my iPad and it's downloading now! Hopefully it'll work!

New User
bucky48
0 Kudos

Re: SOLUTION!!!!

Have you had any luck with that latest download? I can't get mine to stop giving the error.

New User
Dagnaabit
0 Kudos

Re: SOLUTION!!!!

[ Edited ]

Yeah I called B&N support line and they said it has something to do w/ the Nook software itself and with the written adobe associated with it. If you have a textbook that has a lot of high graphic pictures in it, the Nook or the Nook App wont be able to handle it. They said they're working on getting a program that can support it to mobile devices but its not out right now. .... Which sucks...

BUT... for classes that require regular textbooks and reading novels this will still work perfectly. All my other books for school work on it doing it the way I said above but for textbooks that have a lot of graphic pictures in it, don't waste the money unless you only want to access it on your PC/Mac.

This only applies to the Nook Study ebooks though, the other brand of e-textbooks my university offers "CourseSmart" does have an app for the iPad and works perfectly with it. Just as a thought until the NookStudy/B&N decides to keep up with the times :smileywink: Sorry for the bad news, hope this helped though.

-MC

New User
AliciaVJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think many students have either purchased an iPad or B&N NOOK Color, mistakenly believing they could read their e-textbooks on these e-readers.

I received a NOOK Color as a present over the holidays and assumed NookStudy was available on NOOK Color or could be downloaded to NOOK Color.  E-readers revolutionize lugging around countless texts, enabling active students to read and complete assignments on-the-go.  

B&N have a responsibility to communicate to potential NOOK Color customers as well as potential NOOK Study customers that the e-textbooks cannot be read on NOOK Color nor on the iPad. 

Now, I'm not as up-to-date on reading course material because I have to wait until I get home from a hectic work schedule to read NOOKStudy on my laptop.  I suspect students are likely to  return NOOK Color and opt for an iPad using CourseSmart instead of NookStudy in the future.

This is false advertising on behalf of B&N or at the very least, product misrepresentation.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

AliciaVJ wrote:

I think many students have either purchased an iPad or B&N NOOK Color, mistakenly believing they could read their e-textbooks on these e-readers.

I received a NOOK Color as a present over the holidays and assumed NookStudy was available on NOOK Color or could be downloaded to NOOK Color.  E-readers revolutionize lugging around countless texts, enabling active students to read and complete assignments on-the-go.  

B&N have a responsibility to communicate to potential NOOK Color customers as well as potential NOOK Study customers that the e-textbooks cannot be read on NOOK Color nor on the iPad. 

Now, I'm not as up-to-date on reading course material because I have to wait until I get home from a hectic work schedule to read NOOKStudy on my laptop.  I suspect students are likely to  return NOOK Color and opt for an iPad using CourseSmart instead of NookStudy in the future.

This is false advertising on behalf of B&N or at the very least, product misrepresentation.

From the B&N website -

"NookStudy - The FREE eTextbook application for PC & Mac."

How clear is that?  The customer "assumes" incorrectly and it's false advertising on B&N's part?