Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Holmes179

Re: Nookstudy for Ipad?

I would like to know who they studied? I am a nursing student, and with all my books, to carry my laptop is too heavy, so I use my ipad when i am at the libarary (you can type papers on it...) It would be wonderful to beable to get my text books on my ipad and my laptop, since I am not always home to use my laptop! Also, I work at night and it is so nice to pop my ipad out and read my books and study. Please, Please put an ipad app out for nookstudy!

Reader
devans417
0 Kudos

Okay B&N...I just received an email from Apple that the iPad 2 is being release on March 11th so what is the status on the Nookstudy app for the iPad?  I was waiting on the second generation to come out before purchasing an iPad but I need to know if I can get my eTexts on it or not. Answers ASAP please!

New User
star3473
0 Kudos

Nope, they still don't have their act together, I have the iPad 2 and just discovered today that the etextbook I already purchased can't be viewed using the Nook iPad app. Totally insane and borderline evil of B&N since the difference between a regular nook ebook and a nookstudy ebook is not that intuitive until after you have purchased and are faced with the nookstudy limitations. If I could change things I would definitely not have purchased the eTextbook knowing this. I heard from a friend though that there are people who know how to change the formatting on the NookStudy eTextbook files so that they are viewable on the iPad though. Perhaps something worth googling first before you give up on the iPad (it is an amazing little device after all), I mean, just don't let B&N determine the hardware you buy just because their consumer offerings are so completely lacking and outdated.   

New User
Udjet
0 Kudos

I'd like to see an iPad Nookstudy app as well, as would many others I've spoken with. Come on B&N, now is your chance to shine. Coursesmart is still struggling with their app, because you can only view the book while you have an active internet connection. They are working on a solution to fix this and should be out soon. If you want to really dig in and create a market space, your opportunity is now. If Coursesmart beats you to it, you are going to loose etextbook market share very rapidly, as there are many schools that partner with Apple now and use there devices regularly and are even suggested by the schools to own in order to fully experience your classes. It's time to step up and compete. I'm only still a customer due to loyalty, but it's fading fast...

New User
Holmes179
0 Kudos

I am still wondering why BN has not replyed to any of our posts since the first post.... Come on.....(typed and view from my iPad! )
New User
bi37or7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I find this to be extremely STUPID. Plus, the person that replied at the beginning didn't actually sound like a representative, with his "STAY TUNED" junk. Plus, we have. It's been nearly 7 months now since this post was started, and nothing has happened.

B & N... you disgust me.

New User
bi37or7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

New User
Vista7
0 Kudos

I think there could be several reasons why the Nookstudy application for the IPad has not come out yet. (I don't think any of them is the lack of BN wanting to put the app out)

They probably want to make sure that the books are secure (so students can't copy and share them freely). They probably have to get publishers' permissions, and work out sync issues between pc/mac/ ipad versions.  These are just my guesses.  I am too very disappointed by the absense of nookstudy from the Ipad.  Yes, as the moderator said, support PC's and Mac's might be the most used by students by economic reality, but how about practical reality?  Reading an ebook from an Ipad is so much more practical than from a desktop or notebook. I too would like to see an Ipad app after many-many months of waiting.

Reader
devans417
0 Kudos

Well then I guess B&N made the decision for me with their lack of response. 

iPad yes...B&N, you're fired!

I have found that I can get these books directly from the publishers and from other book companies such as Borders and Book-a-Million, so B&N, you have failed miserably and are losing customers. As a consumer I don't have to put up with companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

Barnes & Noble is always looking into improving the NOOK Study application, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students' diverse needs and wants. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into the best way to provide NOOK Study on other devices.

Thanks,
Erin 

New User
deus199

Its hardly ideal, but until B&N gets their act together, iPad owners have the option of using an app such as "RDP Lite" (available in the app market) to remote to their home computer, which CAN run Nookstudy. Instructions for setting everything up can be found fairly easily through Google.

Isn't technology great? Always a million ways to accomplish a task. :smileytongue:

Reader
devans417
0 Kudos

Good news! Thanks for the info!

New User
RedKalanchoe
0 Kudos

Very cool to hear about RDP Lite!  Is there anyone out there who can has used this app for nookstudy on the iPad?  I'd like to see a few reviews before I go out and buy one :womanvery-happy:

New User
ghostrider1974
0 Kudos

I agree. I also purchased my ipad in the hopes that I could use the nook ebooks for my college courses. Big let down. I will not try anything until this gets fixed. Otherwise my ipad is only good for games and surfing the web.

Reader
devans417
0 Kudos

Has anyone had any luck using "Univeral Digital Textbooks" on their iPad? This is something that my school has just made available but they have no compatibility information available. Thanks!

New User
brucebatman3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I totally want a NookStudy app for iPad! I own an iPad 2 and the main reason I got it was for college stuff. Textbooks being one of the main reasons. There are currently three eTextbook apps for iPad (CourseSmart, Kno, and Inkling). And to be perfectly honest, I think they all suck! I hate that course smart only lets you rent the books electronically for so many days (about a semester), so what if you need it for 2 semesters or a couple of years? Then you will be paying more than the physical textbook costs as it is only about 60% off.

Then Inkling is very new and has hardly any textbooks at all, maybe 30 total. Also, the same goes for Kno.

Again, I would love NookStudy for iPad. NookStudy is from a trusted company, Barnes & Noble who give great deals and have a great selection. It would be great to be able to have NookStudy for iPad AND Mac! So we could switch back and forth if we so wished, what would make it even better is an iPhone app, but lets start small and get an iPad app.

And I don't want to have to do something like the others said and have to do something like go through a 3rd party app and reach to NookStudy on my Mac. No thank you.

Barnes & Noble, I think you guys could make loads of money if you played your cards right and made an iPad app and went on to even more like an iPhone one and maybe even going out to Android and so on. You guys are losing a lot of money on this and I would happily use NookStudy exclusively and drop the other three losers.

So I am crossing my fingers to see a NookStudy app for iPad by the beginning of the fall semester. Please Barnes & Noble, please!!

New User
Jake12345
0 Kudos

I think i have found a way to view any NOOK Study book on any device using Calibre. It is an eBook Converter and I was able to convert the Dracula book that came already in the library of NOOK Study into a PDF.

Open the book in the NOOK Study library. Then do a Search for the book on your computer's search to find the folder the book was saved to and drag the to the desktop. The book will have a .EPUB format. Open Calibre and click add book. It will let you select the book from the box. After it is added, select it and hit Convert at the top. In the convert window at the top right hand side Select the format that you want to convert to. It will take time to convert but you can watch the process by clicking (Jobs:#)  in the bottom right of the window.

I hope this helps. I am looking forward to using this myself.

New User
brucebatman3
0 Kudos

Well, Barnes & Noble, looks like you're too late! Amazon has now released textbooks for the Kindle, including all the apps for all devices... Yes including the iPad! So everyone, jump onto the much more popular Kindle train!
New User
mo832

Ipad 2 doesn't work with nookstudy? Really? If you want to talk about disappointment, I don't think anything can be more disappointing than that. I have multiple etextbooks from other publishers and I was floored when I saw that B&N doesn't support the ipad. And it seems that their lackluster responses are telling us that they are out of touch and uninterested in following what the public are clamouring for. Needless to say, I am going to see what is offered on the kindle app instead. Thanks B&N for being behind the times. Becareful you don't follow Borders.

New User
Praisenpeace
0 Kudos

Awesome!

I felt the same way.  I'm planning n getting a Ipad for my birthday this weekend and was really looking forward to using it to study on.

The fact that we just assumed that it would be an Ipad app just shows that we gave B&N too much credit.