Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
val_j
0 Kudos

Nookstudy startup failure

I just downloaded and installed the new version of Nookstudy, and when I tried to start it up, I get the message:

"We are sorry, but this Barnes & Noble application has encountered a problem and it needs to close.

Would you like to restart the application now?"

I do not get an error code. I try to restart the application, but the same error message pops up. The previous version worked fine.

I'm on Windows Vista (64-bit).

Reader
val_j
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy startup failure

So I called support, and that really didn't solve anything. He said it could either be Vista incompatability (which is weird because the previous version worked fine) or maybe my firewall. I changed the firewall settings to specifically allow Nookstudy, but that didn't change the error.

Contributor
eDmunDJV
0 Kudos

Hi there, Is your time zone and clock correctly set in your computer?

Then instead of uninstalling the application the preferred process would be to re-install nookStudy over the current install. Uninstalling could have some unwanted side-effects.

New User
Vespertilio
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the exact same thing.  I tried restarting my computer numerous times, turning off firewall, redownloading Nook, nothing is working >.< Did you ever get yours to work?

...and no, my problem is not time zone nor clock related.

New User
Migasp
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have the same problem. I exchanded a lot of email with B&N and they have no clue of what it is. They have acctually told me that the message was intentional to prevente international users to use the application.

The truth is that they have made some code that is incompatible with windows 7. If you right click on the nook study icon, go to properties, compatibility and choose compatibility mode with XP SP 3 or Vista SP2 ... Bingo, It startes running again.

B&N, Please respect your users ... We are the one who care and love your product ...

New User
Vespertilio
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dang, still not working.  And strangely, my list of compatibility modes is missing the Vista service pack...no wonder the damn thing won't run, I'm on Vista!  Barnes and Noble, you really need to get this sort of thing fixed BEFORE releasing an updated version of your program, or at least have a way for us "problem computers" to easily download the older version that worked.  I must say, this digital textbook has been nothing but trouble, I'll never buy one again.  At least not through this company.

New User
BookfanPan
0 Kudos

Re: Nookstudy startup failure (Problem Solved)

I have the same problem after "updated NookStudy new version"

I get the message :

"We are sorry, but this Barnes & Noble application has encountered a problem and it needs to close.

Would you like to restart the application now?"

I tried to:

-restart

-delete the application and download it again

-read this forum and tried Migasp's suggestion:

"right click on the nook study icon>properties>compatibility and choose compatibility mode with your system (XP SP 3 or Vista SP2 ...) I choosed Windows Vista

Problem solved, NOOKstudy is running without an error message now.

Thanks!

System: Windows 7