Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Meghan_A
0 Kudos

Notes in PDF file

I converted my word docs into PDF so that I can read them on my nook and NOOKstudy.  The only place I can highlight or make notes are the headings I created.  Something like this:

Overview

Blah Blah Blah Blah.

The only party I can make any notes on is the title,.  I think I can work around this, but I would really like some more help.

Meghan

Contributor
Meghan_A
0 Kudos

Re: Notes in PDF file

Well, I got off the phone with B&N and they said that if you convert a document to PDF you will not be able to make notes everywhere.  Something about DRM encription.  Which makes not sense because it's not like you can't highlight in the file at all.  Only on the parts I created as "headers."

They directed me to Adobe Digital Editions for my notetaking instead.  Needless to say, I am confused...

New User
clasarch13
0 Kudos

I just started using it, but it seems to me if you convert your file to a PDF file with OCR (text recognition), you shouldn't have an issue.  Admittedly, OCR does not always work quite right, but it should solve the ability to take notes in your PDF (i.e., download an article from JSTOR, which is already done with OCR, and upload it: it works sufficiently).  And, shame on whomever you talked to.  That's not an adequate solution if B&N wants Nook Study to become dominate in the academic field.  We use WAY TOO MANY pdf files for that to be the solution.  I like the Nook Study program because of the option of putting everything in one place and to suggest I would need something else really tanks their own program.

New User
princeofglow
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem with all my pdf files. Since the nook software doesn't really offer an option to manage your library if you decide to add third party books or your own files, I dwnloaded a program called "Calibre", which works really well AND it allows you to cenvert your .pdf, .doc and . txt to .epub files and then you can highlight and note your files. I hope it helps you too. :smileyhappy: