New User
StudentUU
0 Kudos

WHAT YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE BUYING EBOOK

So classes have started and you thinking about a cheaper way to purchase textbook. let me tell you this, B&N ebook are CHEAPER than conventional textbooks BUT USELESS. That is right, USELESS. Thier NookStudy software is the slowest in the whole industry. Here are some of the problems that YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPERIENCE REGUALRLY:

- SLOW (freezes so many time even though I have a relatively fast CPU 2.10 GHZ & 2 GB RAM)

- Ofen you have to TRY & TRY & TRY TO LOAD the ebook several time before YOU CAN ACCESS IT.

- if you like to highlight text than it gets even worst and slowe. The problem is that if you do highlight a lot than it gets soooooooooooooo slow and you CANNOT remove ALL of them AT ONCE to make it runs faster. You have to remove EVERY individual highlight MANUALLY.

- Last, you cannot count on the team who implemented this software because it has been the same ever since.

Reader 2
CeCeDee
0 Kudos

Re: WHAT YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE BUYING EBOOK

I agree.  I just logged on to the board to see if anyone else had experience with this and possible solutions.  Tech support was no help.  He told me it could be because the the book is large.  And?  Most textbooks are large.  That was one of the reasons I thought an ebook would be nice.

Am I stuck with this?  If anyone has a solution, please post. 

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Hi,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. 

We would like to know what operating system are you using?

The issue you are experiencing could be caused by a lack of RAM.  2GB of RAM doesn't seem to be enough to use the software on top of Windows eating up most of that RAM.  If you do not have enough RAM then it can slow down the entire computer. 

RAM is relatively cheap and if you can, we recommend you add more to your computer.

Thanks,
Erin

Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

Erin,

RAM is not really needed for general tasks on a computer. 2GB of RAM is plenty for text-based content like web-surfing and Nook Study (per your recommended system requirements for the program). Also, RAM is not cheap, and the reason students are buying/renting eTextbooks is because something as a difference of $30 for a book can mean the world to us. And frankly the only time you need more than 2GB of RAM is if you're running a heavy GUI interface, which the Nook Study does not.

So you're basically recommending that we buy something we will supposedly only need to run a program that we download because it's free?

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

The two GB of RAM that you are using is practically used by your OS, Windows uses more RAM than most people think, plus there are tons of little widgets running on your computer that eat into the RAM. The NOOKstudy program is a Graphically intensive program. All of the buttons and internal processes requires more RAM than you currently have.

This comes from the TechRadar site: Ask the typical PC expert "how much memory do I need?" and they'll probably tell you to "get 4GB, it's very cheap these days and you're short-changing yourself with anything less".

And this isn't an unreasonable answer. The less RAM you have, the more likely Windows will have to start swapping out pages of memory to your hard drive, drastically cutting your system's performance.

One thing you can do to reduce the amount of RAM needed is to close out all unnecessary programs that are running in the background, if any.
Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

i have run the program with 2gb before. for me, even though i have run it on my 4gb ram ultrabook just 3 months ago it now no longer opens. so ram isnt the issue