Contributor
pumpkinhead77
0 Kudos

Re: Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

Is B&N listening to all of us....we have been SCREAMING for NookStudy for our Nooks... I am with the rest of you...I do not understand why we can't have textbook on NookColor. NookColor has magaizines, with all the text a graphics, how is a textbook different? 

Come on B&N, listen to your customers!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Contributor
pumpkinhead77
0 Kudos

How is that a clear answer? Yes, I understand that it doesn't work. However, they say it's becuase of graphics, how is the graphics is magazines less that graphics in textbooks?

Plus with a large amount of sdtudents wanting Nookstudy on their Nooks (or iPads, or Android tablets) you would think B&N would be working on a way to make textbooks availiable on these devices

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

pumpkinhead77 wrote:

How is that a clear answer? Yes, I understand that it doesn't work. However, they say it's becuase of graphics, how is the graphics is magazines less that graphics in textbooks?

Plus with a large amount of sdtudents wanting Nookstudy on their Nooks (or iPads, or Android tablets) you would think B&N would be working on a way to make textbooks availiable on these devices

They may well be working on a way to make textbooks available on other devices.  

Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am really upset because I upgraded Nookstudy to the latest version yesterday and now it won't open. I haev absolutely no access to any of my textbooks. This is the last month of school, which means midterms and then finals.  And I cannot access my books!  The program now says that I have a corrupted Adobe certificate. What? It was working fine Monday morning in class.  I am at a loss of what to do.  I can't go out and buy another set of textbooks. 

I have an HP tx2z ( the HP tm2t predecessor) and up until yesterday evening my textbooks worked perfectly, and Nook Study was a program I showed off to all my classmates tugging around rolling bookbags full of books.  I just flip the screen to the vertical position, and its like I am reading from an iPad. The laptop also has a built in pen that makes highlighting passages a breeze.  This mishap however is making me rethink buying etextbooks next semester.

There should really be a backup plan for these types of situations where the program will not open.  Missing even a day of studying is critical for some of us. I was shocked when I could not open the same books on my Nook Color. 

Administrator
BN_Erin
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble is always looking into improving the NOOK Study application, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students' diverse needs and wants. We appreciate your feedback and are looking into the best way to provide NOOK Study on other devices. - stay tuned!

Contributor
pumpkinhead77
0 Kudos

Thank you Erin for your response! It's great to hear that B&N is listening to their customers and that they are working on it! As soon as you guys upgrade NookStudy to be an even more portable product, I will be upgrading my device (I'm hoping just to a NookColor, not to an iPad... student budget!!!)

Reader 4
barryt4226
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala

So in the meantime, until NookStudy is available on other devices as Erin described, can everyone who has complained about NookStudy not working on their Nooks or phones or anything other than their PC accept that they failed to read up on NookStudy and that their complaints were a result of not seeking information on their own?

Reader
pscrzy

NOOKstudy on the Nook color would be so perfect for college. I really hope this becomes a feature in the future.

New User
LonnieKing
0 Kudos

uh how about no? what part of NOOK would make any sensible human being even consider that it wasn't compatible with oh i don't know lets say NOOK!!!!!!

I really do not give a flying hoot as to what the deal is, I have the nook app, and nook books(textboox or otherwise) should just plain work on the nook app. simple as that. it is not my problem their programmers are too stupid to figure this out. until they can get their ducks aligned there is no reason for any college student looking to make life easier to even consider B&N for ANYTHING if they do not know what they are doing. simple as that.

Contributor
everygamer
0 Kudos

I have an awsome ASUS Transformer running Honeycomb 3.2. I want to get my textbook on this awsome 10.1 inch screen so that I don't have to carry a hefty book or laptop. So, I have been buying all my books via BN's Nook App for a while now, think I have burned through about 80 books in the last year (was reading on my DroidX before I got my tablet) and I figure why not check out the eTextbook rentals with them. I am shocked that they don't support the quickly growing family of tablets on the market. Was even more shocked that they didnt support the iPad. 

Ok, the fastes growing segment of the market right now is tablets. So much so that it is stealing from laptop and netbook sales. Take this and combine it with the fact that if you can afford to go to college, you can afford a tablet (mine was $399) since you are going to have to pay at least $500 a semester in books and the cost of the tablet is covered in just buying eTextbooks in the first place. I work in IT at a college in Boston, I can say from experience that 98% of kids have laptops ... but only 10% of them bring those laptops to class with them becuase they are too big and get in the way on their desks. What I do see a lot of them doing is bringing thier tablets & phones with them. 

BN get your act together. Your behind the curve. Do a google search on eTextbooks and you will find your competiton is already ahead of you and already supports tablets. 

New User
hogfan1018
0 Kudos

I just ran across this.  Wish I had seen it before I went into bookstore and bought Ebooks for Nook.  I think it is a valid assumption to see "Nook" and assume that it would work on your Nook.  I mean, really....it should be labeled Barnes and Noble E textbook and Nook removed all together from the tag.  It is not made for Nook; therefore, it should not be marketed for Nook.  There was no mention of this on the tag, on the school information boards or by customer service at the school. 

I bought the E textbook so that I could have a portable and compact method to read my assignments.  Guess I will be going back to buy the old school books on Monday. 

New User
LordTanar
0 Kudos

Using the same brand name may make sense for business and marketing purposes, but it is highly, highly deceptive.  Research should not be necessary.  Any person should be able to know that when they purchase Nook materials that it will work for their Nook or Nook app.

Nook Study should have a far more unique name than Nook if you're not going to make products available across multiple platforms.

New User
flreeber
0 Kudos

I am a grad student and most of my classes are just copious amounts of reading. My wife specifically bought me the Nook so that I could use e-books and Nook Study for classes and not have to carry the 6 textbooks (weighing in at 30 pounds) that are required for my two classes. Now I find that the option of using the Nook Study e-books isn’t an option...this makes me sad...very sad.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

LordTanar wrote:

Using the same brand name may make sense for business and marketing purposes, but it is highly, highly deceptive.  Research should not be necessary.  Any person should be able to know that when they purchase Nook materials that it will work for their Nook or Nook app.

Nook Study should have a far more unique name than Nook if you're not going to make products available across multiple platforms.

Wow really you shouldn't have to research a product before you buy it? Well that is why you get what you get.

New User
Unkept
0 Kudos

I did not have a lot of time to research online, instead I talked to a lot of people even went to the store.  But get this, I tell the B&N associate my intentions for the NookColor and get told NOTHING about e-textbooks not working, you would think the associate who is selling the product would at the very least know if the item is student worthy or not, specifically if they state that they are planning to use it for textbooks!  Well, I get to find out after I got home and charged/set up the NookColor that I was screwed.

I cant carry a laptop everywhere, in fact I have trouble carrying a 5 pound purse due to major back problems, which was the entire reason for online classes and e-textbooks for my lecture classes this semester.  Figured after school was over I'd have a product for reading books etc that would make my life so much easier. Sadly I was very wrong and mislead by the sales associate.

So, Im left to assume that my once favorite bookstore is more out to push their products even if it is NOT what their customer is looking for.

New User
HayHay1224
0 Kudos

Not to be a pest since this feed has alot but will nookstudy be coming to the nook now that the tablet is coming out next week?

Just wondering :smileyhappy:

New User
studentonthemove
0 Kudos

I understand the having the first step being offering the nook study for laptops. I would rather do most of my work on a hard copy at this point. I am sure I will enjoy the eTextbooks later. I don't, however, understand why the eTextbooks aren't available at all for the nook. I want the nook for easy lightweight mobile reading. If I am into thrillers, then great, but I am into reading my textbooks and they are not available. I don't want the nook study software for my nook, I want the textbooks. Is this something that B&N will offer? With millions of books it would be nice to use my nook to read what I want to read.

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

'''Josienjoe wrote :

''Can't get much clearer than this -

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/etextbooks-digital-textbooks/379002516/?cds2Pid=36195&linkid=1676507                        ''

I completly agree.:smileyhappy: