Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

Re: Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

I think I might have a word with the salesclerk who sold me my 2 nooks last week if I see her as I am planning on going to B&N today on other buisness..

One of her sales pitches was that students use their NOOKs to read textbooks.. Luckily the college student I bought one of the NOOKs for is in his last semester, and was pretty sure he would not use it for textbook reading (Must of had sampled it on a kindle) but said he had tried someone elses textbook, and it was too hard to relocate passages that he needed to relocate..

So it doesn't effect my sale, but may effect others of her sales with having dis-satisfied customers..

Strange to call it a NookStudy, that can not be used on a NOOK.. Downright confusing the public if they don't read the fine print.

New User
Rigg_J
0 Kudos

It seems B&N has had the same complaints since coming out with NookStudy, yet here we are MONTHS later and still no resolution. It's sad to say, but B&N you are BEHIND the times. It makes sense to have the bulk of you study program on a laptop. However, why not make the books at least available to read on the nook?
I don't follow your narrow minded logic behind this.

New User
RKSPARKY
0 Kudos

Well I had done some research into this topic, seeing at my school we have B&N college book store. It really comes down to some part to blame B&N and the other part to blame Adobe. Adobe is the vender that B&N uses for E-Textbooks. The fact is about 90% of the publishers of these text books offer E-Textbooks for both IPad and Android. I found this out after buying a E-Textbook and a Acer A500 (android tablet) from B&N at the school. If I would have known that this was the case I would have bought a IPad and bought my books from the publisher or even Amazon.com. Which blows my mind is the Kindle's have the ability to read textbooks and know many people in my school that have either bought a Kindle or IPad and gotten there books through Amazon.

The second problem is the new Nooks, yes they are a android based, but with version for B&N. The Nook can be hacked and pure Android version put onto the unit, but it voids the warranty from B&N. Also makes me wonder why did B&N knowing this issue with Adobe not having a copy of there secure E-Text reader for IPad and Android did B&N not go back to the publisher and sold there E-Text copies to us... Which could have salved so much money for them and driven sales up. Coming up to another term starting in 2 weeks, I deciding weather to by the books, or just go through Amazon and get copies of the E-Textbooks, save money and time, and my back from carrying books. Because this time around I going to waste my time emailing and calling the publisher after buying B&N E-textbooks. Just to turn around and spend days getting the publisher to get me copies of the E-textbooks, like I did last month instead of B&N college bookstore doing this for me.

Third thing is also tired of being told by the School store we do have the ability to order outside of the products that they carry. Do the world a favor B&N stop the "GOD" complex and start listing to your customer needs and wants... If your going to have stores in schools you have to sell Apple Ipads, and laptops.

Contributor
Inquisitive30
0 Kudos

I guess this goes with the old addage let the buyer beware.  Just wish I had known this before I bought my E-Textbooks.

New User
RSU-RavenX
0 Kudos

This isn't that difficult - there are myriad companies who can make an android based app to integrate NookStudy and Nook - the NookColor or NookTablet can handle the load. Kindle Fire can do it - and Nook has superior hardware.

Some people are saying it can't do it and the site says it can't so that's it. THOSE PEOPLE ARE AT HOME READING THE BOARDS.

B&N is acting in an unethical manner. "NookStudy" and "Nook" - this usage is deliberately misleading. The campus bookstore no longer carries laptops or other devices, but this semester they have Nook, and this semester they have Etextbooks with Nook written all over them. I need to take texts to class, My computer is a desktop, I'm a big man and the large keyboard and screens work very well for me and NookStudy on my computer will be a pleasure as I have a 24" widescreen I can write Word docs on and a 24" screen I can have texts on, and a 15" for web research, all at once. But, I can't lug it to class. B&N was pretty smoothe about the planogram too - We had all my textbooks, and my daughter's and my girlfriends, about 80 pounds and there is not a cart, or a basket with a handle, or a bag ANYWHERE in the store. about 60 people in line buying books on the first day of financial aid availability. the line stretches to the back of the store - about halfway down the line is a nice shiny display of Nooks, with enough room to rest your pile of books (and get some relief from the arm and back pain, while you free up your hands to play with a Nook) "Hmmmmm, didn't all those cheap ebook things say nook?" you look at 8oz of Nook, then at 30lbs. of textbook - you think of the 7 story building your home campus is located in and the possibility of elevator failure, and the 2 blocks from the parking lot to the door... $249 seems like a goot price, the hardware is solid. I bought 3 Nooks and every available etextbook. There wasn't a sticker on the box that said "This device is not NookStudy capable." We disscussed the plans to use them for textbooks in front of the clerk.

I got it all home and jumped right into my Nook and the textbooks... and found THIS. I called B&N and asked how to get my textbooks onto my Nook - "you don't" I called the bookstore and asked if they knew "Yes" I asked why no one bothered to mention it. "you didn't ask." and they are right, I didn't ask if my new $250 NOOK would read a NOOKStudy textbook... I was told "[they] don't know why I am buying it." OH YES you freaking well DO - you did it by design and the Nooks were FLYING out the door.

I don't care that you are selling Nooks, I don't care that you are selling Ebooks, I care that you mislead people in order to sell something that doesn't work like they think it will. These are college students with limited money and financial aid can't be used to buy things outside of the campus store until 4-5 weeks into the semester. Do the right thing and solve this fast, because college students are the most hooked-up people on Earth. They will Facebook bomb and twitterblast you into oblivion if you keep playing them false. How long before a Student Council moves to kick B&N out? How many other companies would LOVE to get into that captive audience high dollar market? I bet Amazon would be all over it. My daughter's college already has an Apple store with a genius bar right next to the B&N bookstore, I bet the Geniuses are aware of this issue...

New User
Ferdinand1x
0 Kudos

I absolutely agree.
In fact, I was told by the person selling me the Nook that I could get my textbooks on it.  I only see NookStudy computer-based feature as an "add-on" to actually having it on the Nook.

I am in Grad school, and I work full time. Breaking out my Laptop on a 4 hour flight with a 2 hour battery does NOT even come close to being a selling feature.

You must, MUST create an app that will allow me to read my text books on my Nook.  I enjoy it for mags, etc, but I need need need need need it for reading my textbooks while traveling.

It was sold to me by Barnes and Noble for the sole purpose (the salesperson expressly said I could read textbooks on it) of reading textbooks while traveling.  This device is worthless to me without that feature.

New User
Vagabond820
0 Kudos

I have a Gen1 Nook 3g and have since they were first released.  I am also a college student and avide gamer.  They say that do to the complexity of the book format that Textbooks cannot be viewed on these devices; however, this is far from the truth.  I play a game called Classic Battletech that has its compliation of rule books available in PDF form for purchase on their online sales website.  These books are explonentially more complex in format and graphical intensity, but i can honestly say that to his day I have only had 1 pdf book not display on my nook and 1 other force me to restart my Nook.  Now they may not like to admit it but except for specific courses (those were the majority of the book is graphics rather than text) the majority of textbooks should easily display on Nook as most of them are bloated works of text.  This is especially true when unlike the PDFs i view (which do occasionaly display content out of order when zoomed) the text books they offer could easily be properly coded to properly display the content in order with graphics getting seperate pages.  This whole no textbooks on the Nook has NOTHING to due with the hardware but more likely everything to do with an outdated business model or a liscencing issue that prevents them from offering the books on portable devices.  Those who want to read their textbooks on their e-readers want to do just that: read.  Its not a matter of marking material but to easily transport the material and read it.  We'll gladly wait to mark and notate the material when we get home.

So as a loyal customer, I say enough with the excusses that textbooks are to complex or "NOOK Study eTextbooks cannot be read on the NOOK or mobile devices because textbooks do not display well on small screens."  The PDFs i view on my Nook all the time proove otherwise.

New User
SimpleMajority
0 Kudos

I was told the same thing by my bookstore (Houston Community College, Southwest Campus) and I read about how these books are so much more difficult to place on a tablet... Oddly enough, ALL MY BOOKS ARE FOR SALE ON THE NOOK through bn's website or even the online store on my nook. So I am not buying the whole it won't work on the nook bit anymore. I am on financial aid with my school, but I will gladly shell the cash to buy the books for the nook color and get my money back on the grant dispersements.

I specifically purchased the nook color for college (and you know what I remember back at Christmas Barnes and Noble getting on the news talking about how a reader like the Nook was far better than a iPad or the android tablets) and I am going to use it for college. My only regret now is buying the nook color. I could of got the Kindle Fire for the same price!

New User
SiphRoseflame
0 Kudos

I dont see why B&N has not made textbooks available at least on nook color and nook tablet. These devices definitely could handle any graphics required and I do not think most students would mind much if it was just a stripped down version of nookstudy and not the full thing. If my nook tablet can handle all the graphics of the web, I dont think B&N has much of an argument when they say it cannot handle a textbook.
All I can say is that if not making textbooks available at least on nook color and tablet is a ploy on B&Ns part to sqeeze more money out of people, its backfiring. Its driving customers away and causing them to choose other companies.
New User
bare_footer89
0 Kudos

As a college student on a fixed income I really wish I would have known that my etextbooks that said Nook all over them weren't actually Nook applicable. I'm in ROTC at school so I show up for school at 6:30 a.m and then have classes until 1 p.m. and work my on campus job until 5 p.m. everyday. Most days I have some sort of meeting after that and am essentially at school from 6:30 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday through Friday. I don't have time to go back to my apartment and swap out books so I tend to bring all my books with me everywhere. I thought that I could save money and some weight from my backpack if I bought Nook etextbooks. Come to find out after I bought them that they don't work on my Nook.

I understand that graphics don't really show up well on Nooks, but honestly I just need the text. I would have been fine with not having graphics. I now have only the digital copies of these books on my computer; however, some professors don't let us use computers in class because it's a distraction to those around us and they're afraid we're surfing the web instead of paying attention.

New User
Drizzt07_j
0 Kudos

Why is Barnes and Noble working on an IPAD App for Nook Study without including it on their own tablets first? Especially the two new tablets that are better primed to take advantage of it???? thats the one thing standing in my way from buying a new HD tablet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

It appears Nook Study will work on the new 9 inch HD+ available next week. It is pictured as coming this fall on the website.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

Can you supply the URL for where it says that an Android/NOOK HD+ is coming?
Thanks much!
New User
cmptrbabe
0 Kudos

Nook Study is not available on the Nook.

I wish I would have known this before purchasing a Nook for my sister.  She's in school and

she did a random search for a text book and purchased it through BN -only to find out its only

offered for viewing through Nook Study.  Nook Study isn't available on the Nook which is crazy.

What false advertising.  After I purchased the Nook for my sister as a gift...we realized you 

can't view the text book using the Nook device.. Thankfully she only purchased one text book.

I'm so frustrated over this - I will reimburse her for the Nook Study book (on principle) and

purchase the ebook through Amazon. I'm returing the Nook as its not useful for students. The

Kindall option is much better. Knidall doesn't have any textbook limitations like this.  They

tend to understand the need for flexibility and providing the customer with their own options.

Funny - 3 family members were looking for an ebook reader option...the Kindall seem to be

the better more flexible option and to thnk I was going to encourage them to go the Nook route.

Nevermind!

Contributor
Ruffles5
0 Kudos

See, I knew the Nook couldn't use Nook Study. I had the app on my phone and could never read the textbooks i had during the trial period. BUT, I knew the NOOK HD+ was great hardware and I needed it for PDFs primarily. The Nook eTextbooks have a print to PDF feature so worst-case I could print what I needed to a PDF file (rarely was I required to read every chapter in a 50ch textbook). So there was that workaround. Then there are N2A cards, and I can always go into full android mode and use the Amazon Kindle app to read textbooks I buy off there. But the Nook Study is a good program, assuming it ever loads my library because last week it stopped working! If it wasn't for the N2A cards I'd be more upset at BN's stupidity

Reader
Rjk3
0 Kudos

I just did the exact same thing everyone else did - I bought a Barnes & Noble E-Textbook, thinking the words "Nook Study" meant I could read it on my Nook. Not a crazy assumption if you ask me. I tried to download Nook Study to my Nook and blew my mind that a Barnes & Noble product couldn't even download ITS OWN SOFTWARE. I ended up returning it in time to get my money back. I understand that textbooks may not fit the small size of the Nook but I'd rather have a cheaper more portable option i can use in my Nook any day. I'm not keen on using my laptop to read e-textbooks but in the end, I had to buy it from the Amazon Kindle store! The price tag ($20 less than B&N, with the ability to read on the Kindle Cloud reader) couldn't be beat.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Rjk3 wrote:

I'm not keen on using my laptop to read e-textbooks but in the end, I had to buy it from the Amazon Kindle store! The price tag ($20 less than B&N, with the ability to read on the Kindle Cloud reader) couldn't be beat.

So, then I can assume you are using an iPad with the Kindle Cloud Reader?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716