Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Jeanne_Belin
Accepted Solution

Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

[ Edited ]

You cannot download or access eTextbooks on the NOOK.

Reasons include: The ability to interact with educational content is much more complex than interacting with recreational content.  Hand-held devices like the NOOK and other eReaders make it cumbersome to add notes and highlights - functions that students and faculty use regularly, and to easily to flip back and forth within an eTextbook.

NOOKstudy has functionality to support the unique characteristics of eTextbooks.  eTextbooks include extensive images and graphs that are often referenced on the same page and must render (show) completely.  eTextbooks are often designed in full-color with multiple columns.  Page fidelity is also an issue.  When technology for hand-held devices improves, we will have a compatible application.  

For all of these reasons, NOOKstudy was designed to work on the most utilized student and faculty technology device – the computer they already own.

Contributor
filioladeus

Re: Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

Is it possible that we will see stripped down versions of eTextbooks available on the Nook for portable use, while the NOOKstudy application is the main source of graphs and images?  I bought my Nook to use in classic literature classes, where my textbooks are regular books - but I'd like to see the eventual availability of true textbooks for my students.  Often, textbooks are needed during class, when having a computer open is either not allowed due to distractions or simply impractical.  I think it would make the Nook and NOOKstudy more marketable if they worked together: the Nook for portability and the NOOKstudy for homework and in-depth studying.

Jeanne_Belin

Thank you for your great suggestion!  We recognize that there are diverse study needs at different times.  We will continue to innovate NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ needs – so these ideas are very helpful!

~Jeanne

New User
rapid_1

Where is the iPad app?

Claiming that you developed nookstudy to work on a students most used device is very staid of B&N - technology moves fast and students are early adopters, in case you didn't know.Plus the MOST used tech device for students is their phones, by far.

So now there's this iPad thing with a beautiful full color 10" touch screen and you guys are still focused on laptops? You'd think with most everyone missing the boat in the 90's that they'd at least try to stay ON if not ahead of the curve (as opposed to waddling along some years behind it) but publishers and retailers alike just don't seem to get it. Yes, the Nook is too small for proper textbook viewing but an iPad or similar device is just right.

So, to review:

1) Reading on a laptop sucks, even with a huge 17" screen

2) Reading on a desktop sucks even worse

3) Reading on a slate or tablet doesn't suck

4) Interactive is what the iPad is all about

An iPad app (and an Android app) would make a whole lotta sense - charge $9.99 for the apps and you have an additional revenue stream - in fact, it makes so much sense that I can't believe you guys haven't already started on developing the iPad app. What is the release date?

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

In my experience, students generally use laptops for schoolwork much more than phones. I couldn't imagine keeping all my notes and writing huge papers on a teeny touchscreen. The iPad makes more sense, but the students I know tend to rely on laptops first and foremost for school work. 

I would love to use NOOKstudy with my Nook device too. The portability makes reading more comfortable on the Nook, plus it's not as distracting as all the multitasking bells & whistles of laptops & iPads. 

New User
Eachday
0 Kudos

Most of the instructors at my school are still pretty archaic; they get antsy when students have laptops open, thus making it difficult to read e-textbooks on a laptop in class. As far as the Nook goes, I honestly wouldn't mind if the quality was pretty crappy due to the small screen size - I wouldn't even mind if I couldn't add notes and highlights right away. If I could just view textbooks on a Nook in any way at all, it would make my life exponentially easier, and my back hurt a lot less. I was actually getting ready to buy a Nook for fall semester as opposed to another competetor's device (because said competetor has absolutely no selection in e-textbooks, among other major flaws). Now that I know my textbooks won't work at all on the Nook, I can't justify buying any e-reader. Too bad, I was looking forward to it.

Jeanne_Belin
0 Kudos

We appreciate your passion for the iPad; it is exciting.

However, in support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac laptops and desktops, devices students most commonly use for studying.

We will continue to innovate NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!

~Jeanne

New User
Kristy_Watkins
0 Kudos

I agree with some other posters, even a basic, stripped-down Text-only version of my text books would make things a lot easier for myself... That way if I were to travel or visit my parents for the weekend, or even if I take my dog on a long visit to the dog park, or waiting at the Drs. Office etc., I can do a bit of studying on the go and not be embaressed by having to carry around 7 HUGE heavy text books. I could have the main core of my textbooks, the most basic, important parts there with me easily accessible. I think if you were to somehow create this, even if it were a STARTING POINT of something more complex, a LOT of college students would be grateful, they are happy for shaved down mobile versions of websites like facebook and such, so having something they really need so easily within reach would be great.

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

I agree. You hit the nail on the head.

Jeanne_Belin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback as we continue to develop our product.

Jeanne_Belin
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback as we continue to develop our product.

Contributor
jasonact
0 Kudos

I'm with rapid_1. NOOKstudy on the iPad would be awesome. I would love to see the day when I can walk around campus with little more than my iPad.

Simply with regards to reading, a traditional computer doesn't work well. The keyboard and mouse/trackpad get in the way. The great thing about the iPad is that it's a slate, and I hold it much in the same way I hold other reading materials. It makes complete sense that NOOKstudy would migrate to that platform sooner rather than later.

Having said that, I understand that this is the first iteration of NOOKstudy, and it makes sense to get it working well in one arena before expanding into others. But if you haven't expanded it into mobile devices by next year, you will be left behind.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Jeanne_Belin wrote:

We appreciate your passion for the iPad; it is exciting.

However, in support of the research we conducted and with sensitivity to the economic realities most students face, we chose to build the first generation of NOOKstudy to work on PC and Mac laptops and desktops, devices students most commonly use for studying.

We will continue to innovate NOOKstudy, expanding its capabilities and usages to meet students’ diverse needs and wants – stay tuned!

~Jeanne

You are missing the boat on not having an IPad version. The IPad has already been integrated in my work place ( Sales presentation, Meeting notes, Enterprise email etc.) I can't imagine what student, teen or adult would not use this feature. I think if B&N would pursue this they would be surprised on how many students would use it based on the convenience alone.

New User
sieablu
0 Kudos

A lot of students are asking for use of the Nookstudy on iPads. As nice as that would be, as a student and a follower of most technology, I don't think we will see that happen soon. Apple has made it very apparent that they are not really willing to support a lot of Adobe's software (mainly Flash), but this might spread to other things and the Nookstudy seems to be running using some of Adobe's technology which maybe both Acrobat and Flash. Also, the iPad is expensive. As much as I want one, my iPod Touch will suffice. Making something for the iPod vs. making something ready for the iPad is a bit more difficult than you guys know, whether your think they are the same thing or not. And also, the point is that they are aiming to help the majority and not the specialty. The majority if not ALL students have laptops or desktops (Mac or PC does not matter). The likeliness that a college student has a Nook or an iPad or either of the competitors is very unlikely. Not to say that students don't have them at all, just not the majority. Help the majority before the minority.

Aside from that, I would also like to see this new Nookstudy come to the actual Nook. I have wanted a better reason to buy a Nook than just for the many books that I want to read, but if I could read my textbooks, in whatever dumbed down version, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one right now.

New User
MostUnexpected
0 Kudos

This is a great idea, but it won't be useful for me until I can use it on my laptop and my nook.

You've listed good reasons for making it available on the computer, but they don't explain why it isn't also available on the nook.

Reader 2
daisy62
0 Kudos

OK ... tha's fine.  Keep NookStudy on the computer, it looks great!  But why can't we read our textbooks on the Nook?  It is easier for those of us who suffer from occular migraines to read on the Nook than it is on the computer (must be the difference between e-ink and lcd?).  I would like to read my book on the Nook, highlight and take notes and bookmark those pages, then sync that up to NookStudy, where I can merge my class notes and have everything there.

This shouldn't be that big of a deal to support.  I got my Nook as a graduation present to use to read my textbooks, and so far, there isn't one textbook on it!  This is very disappointing!  I might have to return it and get the money so I can use it to buy the actual book!

Contributor
jsfiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HP is rumored to be coming out soon with a tablet PC that runs Windows 7. If it happens, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use NookStudy on it, since it's a Windows environment.

A lot of cool things seem to be happening right now with e-readers and tablet PCs.

New User
HDLippert
0 Kudos

I agree with Kristy_Watkins, I have been the proud owner of a nook since it was released and it is one of my most cherished items. I love the portability of it. That being said, if there was anyway to have a diluted versions of textbooks available for the nook it would be amazing. I love the concept of NOOKstudy, but why call it NOOK study if there is really no way for it to interact with a Nook? If diluted versions of textbooks were available for Nook, taking notes would be as easy as using bookmarks on the pages you want to talk about, and listing 1 through what ever bookmark in a notebook and taking your notes. Students could then go back into NOOKstudy after class and enter the notes for easy access later (and the repetition will help to remember what you wrote anyway.) I know that things like this take a lot of work, but I bought my Nook because it was the best ereader on the market so I would just like to see it expand from being only a pleasure reading device to a useful school tool also.

Reader 4
clmullins
0 Kudos

I understand the concept of doing for the majority with the assumption that most college students don't have a Nook, but the NOOKstudy covers a VERY wide demographic. Faculty can use this as well as students and they would be within your target market for Nook sales. Also college students are not just the 18-24 year old demographic that you appear to be catering to with the NOOKstudy, what about nontraditional students that range in age from 25-69 years old. According to an article called Nontraditional Students Enrich U.S. College Campuses found on the America.gov website, an estimated 6.1 million students, 37%, were nontraditional students in 2003. That number was expected to rise and some reports now have estimates surpassing 12 million nontraditional students as of 2008 which shows that colleges may have MORE nontraditional students then traditional. These figures show that your target market is returning to college at an astonishing rate shifting the assumption that most college students will have a Nook or ereader device to use.

I am a nontraditional student in my 30's and personally I hate to lug my textbooks around with me every where I go. I would love to sit in the waiting room of my kids doctors office and read the chapters of my textbook on my Nook. Plus the Nook does have a highlighting feature on it, yes it can be a pain to use but if I know that I'm reading chapter 18 I can jump to that chapter see what I highlighted and do the same on the NOOKstudy when I get home. It may be one extra step but its better then the bag of textbooks and highlighters plus the kids you have in tow. I have also noticed that a lot of textbook publishers have the graphics and charts for a particular text available for download either by using the access code or through the publishers website thus you wouldn't lose this content in a striped down version of the book for Nook use. Also the download could then be added to the NOOKstudy.

Contributor
willzzz88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It does work. At least some of the books. I just found out B&N is using the same DRM (Adobe ADEPT) that the nook supports on some of the e-texts as some of the e-books (like my local library (overdrive.com, other online stores, etc...). Although the app doesn't have the functionality all you need to do it copy & paste the file after opening the ebook in Nook Study/Adobe Digital Editions and closing it.

Go here:

(Where your B&N eBooks are downloaded for BOTH nook for Windows and NookStudy)

C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\[Your B&N.com Login]

Find the .pdf file of the e-text you just bought/rented/trialed.

Copy it into your "my documents" onto your nook.

Tell your nook to check for new documents.

Open on your nook.

It works fine on my nook on 2 e-texts I'm trailing atm. Note that B&N's publisher has to be using the SAME DRM technology that B&N is using atm (Adobe ADEPT) with PDF and ePub which the nook supports. I don't know why they don't publish this. Sure you can't take notes but I can read the e-text PDF file on my nook! The files are like any other .pdf encoded with Adobe Digital Editions technology.

BTW you can also open the file using Adobe Edition Editions if you want to and don't want to use the Nook Study app. And you can use Adobe Digital Editions to copy and paste the file to your nook (your nook will show up in the app.). This makes sense as my e-text publisher sells it was "secured PDF" directly which the nook supports. Unfortunately not all publishers are going to use the PDF/ePub standard so we can't put them on our nooks.