Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
willzzz88
0 Kudos

Re: Why does NOOKstudy not work on my NOOK?

I just found out they also show up in my B&N documents of my e-texts but I can't download it wirelessly. So use my above method to download on your computer and manually transfer the .pdf or .epub to your nook. I get the "Download cannot be completed, please call B&N 1-800-etc" error. B&N please fix this. We already know the downloaded .etext file is a .pdf which works on the nook. Just make the sync work with our nooks so I don't have to manually transfer. BTW this is a trial e-textbook rental which came in pdf format from B&N.

Contributor
willzzz88
0 Kudos

Since this works I may now buy my future e-texts for my nook and computer (nookstudy)! Now if B&N could negotiate with the publishers to lower the e-text prices like the e-books... Ah the convenience of digital technology ;-)

New User
skile
0 Kudos

Why use the name Nookstudy if the actual Nook cannot be used? I like several others wanted the basic text on the Nook for class without having to bring my laptop. It is very annoying to see it on my Nook's list of books and read the overview yet not be able to download it.

Reader 2
KLParnell
0 Kudos

I was going to make that point about PDF files, but I see someone beat me to it.  Unfortunately you can't highlight and copy from the e-books.  If you could, you could copy the relevant parts into an Open Office text document and process it into a PDF.  Then upload that to your Nook.  If you are really motivated, and under the theory that typing it helps you remember it, you could type the revelant sections into said document, etc. 

Reader 2
turmalin
0 Kudos

As a student I can only agree - it is not necessary to accomplish the impossible, namely to make the complete textbook viewable on 6" screens. But blocking the access through the Nook completely is actually a bad joke. For someone who bought or rented the right to use this book, it must be possible to at least view the basic texts on devices like the Nook or an iPhone so that students can quickly look up things.

Anyway, there is no way around a larger-sized Nook :smileyvery-happy:

New User
tek1
0 Kudos

My two cents on prior postings.. IPAD is going to go to the way side when a solid tablet comes out that actually functions as a computer rather than working under apple's market apps.

New User
bluemoonmuse
0 Kudos

I bought my iPad specifically for school because it's a computer, and because it has so many apps that are useful for school and you can bookmark internet pages right to the home page.  Unfortunately, I discovered, I couldn't get any textbooks on it--a major disappointment.  I agree with the person who said laptops can be disruptive in class.  My teachers are allowing them, and they're trying to utilize them as a resource in discussions.  But the fact is, they're clunky.  The iPad is the best resource-- so far-- but the fact that you can't get textbooks on it or on the Nook (which I also love) or other eReader is really missing the boat for booksellers.  There's a huge market, but somebody else is going to get the headstart and own this market.  If there was a NookStudy app for the iPad, I would definitely buy it--$9.99?  absolutely!

New User
Rizz
0 Kudos

jsfiller wrote:

HP is rumored to be coming out soon with a tablet PC that runs Windows 7. If it happens, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use NookStudy on it, since it's a Windows environment.

A lot of cool things seem to be happening right now with e-readers and tablet PCs.

HP already has a tablet out that runs WIn 7 - and in fact, i'm using it right now :smileyhappy:

It's called the HP tm2t, and it's probably the best investment i've made. The nookstudy does in fact work on this, and I have 2 books on nookstudy. I wish it would support a better recognition of the touchscreen, but i'm hoping they will release an update for that in the future.

I recommend this tablet to anyone looking to go paperless for college, as this tablet allows me to do just that.

Again, if you nookstudy mods are looking, please try and increase the compatibility for tablet PC's, as the only 2 ways I could scroll through the page is either by arrow keys (which doesn't allow me to stop exactly where I want) or by trying to find the sweet spot on the very far right of the screen, which is somewhat annoying when i'm trying to study. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Rich_D
0 Kudos

I'd really like to see Nookstudy accessible via the net.  I'd like to be able to access my texts and notes from my work pc or a library pc, not just my personal laptop.

New User
Student86
0 Kudos

Where do I begin?

First, I have read previous posts to this thread. I'm within the frustration circle of feeling like a "hook"ed user rather then a "nook" user. The B&N employee had such a great way of reeling me in and convincing me of how "student" friendly this device is and how much "better" then the others it is.

My main reason for buying nook was to take it to class. Now discovering I can't even put a text book on nook, is confusing to all degrees. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong. Let's hope it's me rather than the company representing the product.

I do use my lap top for papers and some homework. Reading my textbook on my laptop is very uncomfortable. So, saving paper is not going to happen since I'll have to add costs in buying paper to print chapter to chapter when I should have just bought a stinking used textbook.

Highly frustrated.

Contributor
cabbieBot
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have here in my possession a NOOK 3G+WIFI.

I also downloaded a textbook from my class straight from McGraw Hill's website. It is in PDF and requires Adobe Digital Editions to download.This is exactly how B&N's eTextbook downloads works as well as how you borrow books from your public library. It went off without a hitch.

I then used digital editions to transfer the etextbook to my nook. It went off without a hitch.

I ejected my nook, went into My Library and opened up my book. It went off without a hitch. All 608 pages.

I am able to change the font, do a search for words, jump to certain pages...everything.

The only issue is with what you mentioned...page fidelity with columns. If you have two columns, A and B with information side by side, then it will list all of column A and then all of column B. I am completely okay with this limitation because everything else...charts, graphics, text, work fine. So while its not 100%, it is more than acceptable for me since its my purchase. When I need to view the very infrequent columns (even though its a business finance text) I will use NOOKStudy.

Oddly enough, I emailed McGraw-Hill's Primus Support and asked if the etextbook would work on NOOK. They replied that it wouldn't. I purchased it from them anyway and well, the rest is history. I transferred it to NOOK just fine. I have a feeling publishers are being dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. So much for that.

It is unfortunate that branding the program "NOOKStudy" is misleading people into thinking the most logical of things...etextbooks would work on NOOK! And they do! But I have a feeling that just like everything else as far as digital media goes...the publishers are putting a stop to this. B&N is offering a weak justification for this and effectively taking the publicity hit for their sake.

As far as the columns, this is 100% a software issue. Nothing at all to do with the hardware. If the PDF Viewer on NOOK were updated to include zoom instead of just trying to render the text size as if it were an epub, this would be a non-issue! PDFs are simply image files and the current method of rendering them on NOOK is clumsy. I have viewed personally other PDF viewers installed on NOOKs that have zoom. To its credit, NOOK handles epub beautifully. But they are different formats. Fortunately NOOK runs on the highly customized Android platform and this is very much a fixable issue with a firmware update to include an improved PDF viewer.

Unfortunate situation we have here. But, I have my etextbook on my nook, without a doubt that the books offered through this website would work in a similar fashion: highly, if not completely, functional.

All the best,

cabbie

Nook Enthusiast

Reader 4
Dagney
0 Kudos

Why is it called "NOOKstudy" if it does not work on my NOOK?  I already ordered a textbook and now need to have my laptop to read it? There was no prompt when I purchased the book that told me it would not work on my NOOK and it was an expensive book.

I understand the added features on the computer, but many people just need to do the reading.  Why can't you support both the computer application and a scaled down NOOK version?

New User
SCADman
0 Kudos

I agree, I spend much of my time staring a computer screen and really wanted the Nook so that I would have the option to view my textbooks with less eye strain. Sadly the eTextbooks here on Barnes & Noble do not allow the use of an eReader device. I think it would be a better option if they added the ability to download a stripped down version of the eBook to an eReader device. Amazon.com allows this on their Kindle device, and is swaying me toward purchasing one of those as I would rather read my textbook on an eReader and take notes on paper.

New User
NOT_Happy
0 Kudos

I purchased a rental version of an eTextbook for my class.  I do not enjoy reading it on my laptop, and had been considering purchasing the Nook to read my text.  The sales person at Barnes and Noble assured me multiple times that it ws no problem to transfer me eTextbook to the Nook.  The signage ALL OVER the university book store also suggests the same.  The rental even came with digital rights for 2 devices.  As soon as I tried to download it to my new Nook, I got the 'Call customer support' message, where they proceeded to tell me that eTexts couldn't be used on the Nook.  I have tried a number of ways to use my eText on my new Nook, but to no avail.  I have read here and elsewhere on the web that some eTexts do indeed transfer to the Nook, but a $200 future gamble is definitely NOT worth it.  Barnes and Noble WILL be returning my $150 plus the $40 for the case I purchased, and I will be taking this issue up with the management of the local B&N where I purchased, as well as the university book store.  Shame on you Barnes and Noble!

The short answer is DO NOT pruchase a Nook for your text books!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I'm sorry this worked out the way it did for you.  I'm not a student anymore, but it seems silly and arbitrary to me to not allow the text books to be read on the Nook.  I think having the ability to carry multiple large textbooks in a device as small as the Nook would be a great advantage for students.

I'm not sure why they did it this way.  It's probably some strange random requirement demanded by the textbook publishers.

Reader 2
Carey_J
0 Kudos

A version that would let you sync notes from the pc to the Nook would be even better.

New User
te-renae
0 Kudos

I purchased an ebook (textbook) from school and i have followed the steps to download nookstudy. However, everytime it downloads i go to sign in and i recieve an error code. i'm using the same login in used to sign in and post this blog. what should i do? i really need to get access to study for an exam next week! Please Help!

I've already called and was told to create an account on bn.com and then sign in which i have but it is not giving my access to go further than that!

Thanks!

Te-Renae :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
Dagney
0 Kudos

I think it is great to try to add all the features, but the actually "reading" part of NOOKstudy left a lot to be desired compared to the NOOK. From my laptop, I had to scroll to complete reading each page and then had to click on the page turning button to change the page.  I wanted to be able to just continue scrolling to read the book with my arrow key but it did not work.

I returned my eBook and ordered a real book instead.

Contributor
MitigationElf
0 Kudos

Why have an app when Windows7 Tablet functionality does everything (and MS has for YEARS) and more than the pad thingy can do.... Just add the pen functionality to the NookStudy and you have almost everything a student needs... combine NookStudy and OneNote.

MitigationElf!
Frequent Contributor
china_cat
0 Kudos

I, too, have wondered why there isn't a "dumbed down" version of eTexts available on the nook. I'm a nursing student and let me tell you - I'm only in 3 classes right now (still full time) and I have around 15 textbooks! Many of them are hard covers too. Granted, I technically don't NEED to carry all those books to my classes. We only actually use a couple of books in each class. However, my instructor does make references to the various other books during lecture and it would be nice to be able to bring up that book on my nook. And really, I only need to see the various photos, pictures, charts, and tables when I'm studying - which is usually at a (very) large table with my books spread out. I would only use the eText on nook in class and when waiting in the doc's office or when out in public or at my family's house.

I'm also an unconventional student (as are most people in my program). I am 26, married, with a 3 yr old daughter. Most of the time, it's difficult to study or read a HUGE text with my daughter running around. It would be much easier if I could do it on the nook...she could even cuddle on my lap while I'm reading and it wouldn't be uncomfortable.

I also agree that you shouldn't call the program NOOKstudy unless it actually involves the nook. It's misleading and many of your representatives in store are mislead by it as well - unless they know and are lying to make sales, which is entirely possible.

I did consider buying the HP tablet.....but my laptop is fairly new and has a lightning fast processor...so I can't really justify buying it. And that brings up another thing - I can not possibly bring my laptop to class. There just isn't enough room...and I'm not sure it would be safe for my laptop. We sit at tables, not desks, and there are just enough spots for each of us, no extra space. People are always eating and drinking and there's at least one spill everyday. Makes me nervous. Not to mention that I'd feel more inconspicuous as I'd be the only one with a laptop. I wouldn't feel so out of place with my nook, plus it's in a water resistant cover which would help protect it.

I don't know...this whole thing irritates me. It eTexts would work on the nook, I would gladly pay some extra money to rent or even buy a few eTexts. But I don't think having the program on my PC would help me at all.

It would be VERY nice if BN would add a nookstudy app onto the nook (optional to users, of course - not all are students!) with the new version upgrade! Please, BN! I'm begging here! That way we could utilize MOST of what nookstudy has to offer (especially organizational and textbook capabilities) on our nooks.