New User
cm40
0 Kudos

eTextbooks for NOOKStudy not supported by mobile devices

[ Edited ]

I found an issue while purchasing my textbook rental recently.

As I was searching and purchasing my textbook rentals I noticed that there was a "Supported Devices" graphic next to where my books (shopping cart) were displayed. (Image below)

Supported devices

I clicked on the link to Supported Devices and came up to this page:

Nook Apps

Because I am familar with how ebooks and mobile devices work, I found this a little too good to be true since textbooks are graphically a lot more complex. 

I looked up to see if these e-textbooks were indeed supported on mobile devices (In my case my HTC Android Incredible phone).

This is what I found on the FAQs:

Can I use my NOOK or iPhone to read digital textbooks?
No, you cannot use your NOOK or mobile devices to read your eTextbooks. Textbooks are complex and usually graphic-intensive — they do not display well on small screens. However, if you have purchased eBooks (e.g. Moby Dick, Pride & Prejudice, etc) that are predominantly text, those are supported on NOOK and mobile devices, in addition to NOOKstudy.

I purchased the books anyway but I can see how having that specific graphic on that specific placing and that loose wording my confuse MANY people that are new to renting or buying eTextbooks.

Perhaps better the placing of this graphic on pages with eTextbooks AND a more prominant disclaimer would be better?

dddpppmmm
0 Kudos

Re: eTextbooks for NOOKStudy not supported by mobile devices

[ Edited ]

Actually the page you reference is "My Ebook Library" . This is the location where you can see and manage all of your digital purchases.    You are correct in the placement of the graphic can be confusing for some customers who purchase etextbooks.  We will look into updating that page to be clearer.  

Thanks for the feedback.  

New User
NerissaG
0 Kudos

Would it be possible to get an update on when they will be able to work with the nook?  I noticed after buying my nook yesterday, that the nookstudy textbook I bought would work on an ereader from other companies but for whatever reason even when I manually copy it over to my nook I get "user not activated".  I'm finding reading my textbook on my laptop to be very tedious.

New User
Mr_Rubato
0 Kudos

Simple question: Why is it called Nookstudy if it's not available on the nook? This is misleading and deceptive. Is it simply to sell nooks to students, only to be returned to the store in anger, realizing that the "nook" won't support "nookstudy"?

Does Barnes & Noble realize the potentially huge market for them if they could make this happen?

Inquiring minds...