Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BlueKiwi
0 Kudos

login error 1017:network error

After just installing Nook for the PC when I tried to login I got a "network error" and the number 1017.  Running on Window 7.  This was resolved by right clicking the Nook desktop icon and choosing 'run as administrator'  This gives Nook addtional privileges on your PC. 

Hope that helps someone,

New User
wendilyn
0 Kudos

Re: login error 1017:network error

I tried it and it didnt work do you know anything else i could do to make it work ????

New User
kmedia
0 Kudos

try checking the calender date on your computer.   My was reset to 2005 for some reason, once I changed it - I had no problems.

Contributor
rlozier
0 Kudos

Ongoing problem on (5) systems here for about a week, library was established on XP netbook @ 10:50 PM last night, 1017 error on this updated system, time setting updated using the internet time selection built into windows, double boot system, same problem running on XP or Vista. tLosing the B & N library access has occured before, not a new problem. Nook lost the library 2 days ago, also not a new problem. All the tricks used in the past aren't working after repeated tries. Really occured right after the move from the extrremely stable 1.4 to the 1.5 firmware, could be server related, lots of troubles with the last (2) upgrade of "nookforPc". No problems accessing my books with (2) different non-nook units that use the B & N access.Tried Nook Study worked for (2) days then went nuts too.

New User
AmorVincitOmnia21
0 Kudos

Instead of changing access to the administrator, when you right click the Nook Desktop Icon, make sure the selected "virus protection" for that icon is clicked OFF. It can prevent books from being accessed by the program.

Contributor
gannotti
0 Kudos

Reader
Bailbondbeverly
0 Kudos

i tired that and it didnt work! lol what else you got?

New User
juicyBee
0 Kudos

OMG, I checked my calender... it was off by two months, I adjusted it and indeed, I can now sign in. Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of it! 

New User
pkomarnicki
0 Kudos

For anyone else having this problem but unable to find a solution, try uninstalling then reinstalling through Internet Explorer. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does.