Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

PC Magazine lists 15 best apps for Nook Tablet

Offered up for your perusal: PC Magazine lists what it considers the best 15 apps for the Nook Tablet:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397182,00.asp

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
0 Kudos

Faint praise

[ Edited ]

Kinda looks like "damned with faint praise".

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: PC Magazine lists 15 best apps for Nook Tablet

They're not daming the NT with faint praise at all.

They're saying that all 15 of the apps available for the Tablet are winners.   

I thought they probably overrated Sudoku, but that's just me.  

Even more interesting was the projection of as many as 45 apps by 2013.     :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
0 Kudos

Quote: "pickings are a little slim"

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

They're not daming the NT with faint praise at all.

They're saying that all 15 of the apps available for the Tablet are winners.   

You mean, like one of the comments:  "There are a lot of usability problems with this content aggregator, but I added it to the list because of its potential—and because, honestly, at only 1,000 apps in the store, pickings are a little slim." ???

Another one of the apps listed apparently requires GPS coordinates ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Re: Quote: "pickings are a little slim"

Can somebody post the list of the 15 apps? I can't seem to view it at the link...
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

It frustrates me when they fail to identify which apps they feel are available elsewhere, by category. For example goo is a popular game at least in the past not in BN app store. It was lazy to comment on lack of options without adding some substance. Many so called journalists do this now. Since there was no elaboration he should of stuck to the article topic, favorite apps. My teachers would have given such an effort an F.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Meh... I can't view that slideshow... here are my picks for the top 15 apps on the nook tablet (which I have permanently placed on my daily shelf bar): Evernote (I prefer this to Springpad), Skitch, Pulse, Netflix, Pandora, Grooveshark, Quickoffice Pro, Movie Gallery, Photo Gallery (by Fishbowl), Epicurious, Hulu Plus, Seesmic, Scrabble, Bejewelled, Angry Birds... What are your top 15? I dont really use Taptu although it might be a candidate if I got into it, but I prefer Pulse... A couple other games I have but probably dont make top 15 are Quell and Pyramix...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Oh yeah, Ustream also...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Oh yeah! Mycast Weather Radar! Although I dont actually keep that on the hocreamepage, its really cool that it creates an always on tiny widget at bottom left next to the notifications that has the temperature and you can add different cities to your weather report... Although really, my phone does this so why do I need it? One nice thing is that it goes away almost but is akways there...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

The funny thing about this whole "shortage of apps selection" thing is: if you look at PC magazine's list of "40 must have android apps", quite honestly I was not that impressed... To be honest, there *arent THAT many apps out on android more generally that are hugely amazing... Coming from an iPhone... The list of android apps in general is not that impressive to me quite honestly... There are some- Dropbox (which presumably the nook tablet will have since the color had it), Sketchbook mobile, Facebook, Twitter (which you can access through Seesmic anyway), games like Plants vs Zombies... Other than that, I'm not sure there are that many apps I feel like the Tablet really needs to have to catch up with other android devices... 1000s of apps is not such a big deal if there are only a handful you would really want to download anyway... In a way, having apps that are curated for the 7" screen are more valuable... One that is missing and more critical than any other is: overdrive media console...