Correspondent
BrassMonkey
0 Kudos

Afraid you'll lose your nook? no problem

So theres a new app i just found called "Locate My Nuck" that was made exclusively for the nook that can locate your nook if it gets lost or stolen using wifi triangulation. Though i havent tried it myself, it seems pretty cool and wanted give folks a heads up in case they have children who may lose their nooks or have a bad memory like me :smileytongue:.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Afraid you'll lose your nook? no problem

[ Edited ]

What a great idea. Thx for sharing.

Came back to say that you will need to upgrade your computer if necessary to:

Google Chrome

Mozilla Foxfire

Microsoft Internet Exp 9

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Even better would be for the B&N app search to work to find this app.  I searched for:

1. "locate" -- app not found.
  2. "locate my" -- the NT suggested "locate my nuck", so I accepted that for the search -- not found.
  3. "locate my nook"  -- it found the "Locate my Nuck" app.

Sigh ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
tvd1204
0 Kudos

I found it on the web at locatemynuck.com and from there it will take you to the app on the B&N web site. Not able to do a search with the Nook as yet. Came out on the 28th.

Correspondent
BrassMonkey
0 Kudos

I wonder if its not easily found through search results until barnes and noble updates the shop (apps are added on thursdays but the shop doesn't display them on "new nook apps" section until basically friday.
Correspondent
Angela2932ND
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Unless they've done something really clever, apps like this are going to be limited to determining what wireless access point (AP) your device last connected to. If you happen to be connected to an AP when you lose the device, it will at least narrow it down to the coverage area of the AP, but that can still be your entire house and yard. If your device was asleep before you moved it, or you didn't connect to wireless at your last location, unlike most Android and Apple phones, there's no way to wake it up remotely, nor GPS to narrow it down to an area with a few meters resolution.

There's nothing wrong with what it can provide, but it won't be the same as similar device-location packages on smartphones. Buyer beware!