Correspondent
Grammaknits02

Alex-Please Read

Do you know if B&N is working on a fix for the battery drain problem with the Nook Tablet?  There have been a few of us who have posted regarding the problem.  My problem is that my battery drains in sleep mode, even with WiFi off.  I have done a hard reset three times and it seems to fix the issue for a day or two, and then it starts back in again.  I also exchanged my first nook tablet because of the issue, but it is the same on the second one, so I am assuming it is some kind of issue with apps continuing to run in the background even after exiting.  I am hoping there will be a fix for this, or maybe a task manager that will let us see what is running and a way to shut down the apps that we think we have exited that are still running.  I have a friend with a nook tablet and his is also doing this.  The only way to stop it from happening is to power off the tablet after every use...very annoying and frustrating having to wait for it to power back up again.  It is enough to make me want a different device, even though I love my tablet.  I had a nook color before this, with never an issue.  Also, I do have a 16 gb card in mine with books and movies on it.  Thank you for your response in advance!!

Also, just to make sure you know, I'm not complaining...just hoping that B&N is aware of this and is working on it, as other than this, I love my Tablet...just as I loved my NC and my original Nook before that.:smileyhappy:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Re: Alex-Please Read

You can also add my name to those that are having the very same problem. Out of frustration I did a hard reset (unregister) last night for the first time and so far today it seems to be holding it's power. One of the reasons I upgraded from the NC to the NT in the first place was because of the promised longer battery life. Love the device but this power draining thing isn't impressing me at all.

Correspondent
MuseK
0 Kudos

Same problem since t he update. I di.d a full charge last night. The gbattery drained in sleep mode overnight
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How much is it draining? It is worth remembering that sleep mode is not off - background processes still run while the device is asleep and consume some power. If it's more than a few percent a night though you have an issue.

Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Well the last time mine went from a 93% charge to a 59% charge in six hours while in the sleep mode. I did the hard reset at the suggestion of customer support. Like the op said it's just random...Sometimes it will hold a charge and then for what ever reason it won't. Oh by the way I have not yet gotten the lastest update and I do have an sd card in the device. Very frustrating to say the least. I am going on a long vacation out of country next month and sure would like to be able to count on my device to hold a charge for the 11 hour plane flight.

Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Well I just checked and the hard reboot didn't seem to do anything! Went from a 94% charge to a 73% overnight (7 hours) while in the sleep mode. I quess I will take it back and get an different one and hope that it will hold a charge.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have had mine drain to the point it will not even turn on. I've had it do it after I charged my NT to full but didn't use it for 2 or 3 days, went to use it and it was completely dead. It was in sleep mode. I've used sleep mode and had my Nook keep charged for a week or even slightly longer. It shouldn't be draining like that. I've had the NT drain to dead after using apps within a day after I used the app. Other times it's happened even when I haven't used an app. I've done a hard reset and so far it's holding a charge pretty well but I am not confident at all that this fixed the problem.

I do not excessively use apps or the internet. I would say my use of the NT is average, Reading an hour here, 30 minutes there, couple hours there, play the occassional game etc.I don't have an sd card, I am using the energy save mode and keep my screen brightness as low as possible. When I do use apps or the internt, I try to remember to turn off my nook completly to make sure they are completely turned off. This hasn't always helped.

If it is apps that is causing this battery drain issue then B&N needs to develop a way that we can make sure apps have turned off when exited and aren't continuing to run in the background. Perhaps a "Task Manager" like Windows has that shows what processes are running and gives you the option to end that process.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41

Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback. I've forwarded this to our devs, and hope to report something to you soon.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

Thank you Alex. I am looking forward to a resolution to this problem soon.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Thanks Alex...I'm looking forward to hearing back on this issue soon.  My battery also will drain from 100% in the morning, to the 70's % by noonish when I go to my lunch break.  I am hoping there will be a solution for this issue.

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Thanks Alex for looking into this problem. Just an FYI I returned by NT for another one yesterday and you guessed it....the new one is also losing power while in the sleep mode.The clerk where I exchanged it said that she has had several returns because of the power draining problem. So the good news is that it's not just me. But the bad news is that it appears to be a problem with all NT. Sure hope a fix for this can be found soon....

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

I just got a Nook Tablet today to replace my Nook Color.

I have updated it to the latest firmware (1.4.2). I hope that I don't have this issue. I loved the battery life of my Nook Color and I was really looking forward to the promised battery life increase of the Tablet.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Bump......

Still having the random out of the blue power drains while in the sleep mode. For a while I thought that it had stopped but no such luck.

Any word from the developers on what might be causing this Alex?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Alex-Please Read-This is why we need a TASK KILLER APP

Alex, this is why NC users have been asking for a task killer app since last July.  (Though admittedly, we didn't have that many apps then, but you could see that this was an issue in the making.)  And that's why this ability is included in Android and on the iPad (i.e. users need the ability to turn off ALL APPS running in the background in order to not needlessly expend battery.) 

To summarize (once again), we need a task killer app for the NC/NT because:

1) Not every app has an EXIT button (including a number of the stock apps by the way.)  While you can "backswipe" to get out of them, are we really closing them, or are they still running?

2) Some apps like to "phone home."  The first one that comes to mind is the stock eMail app.  The default setting is to check for new mail every 5 minutes.  EVEN WITH WIFI OFF, this setting will use 5-6% of battery per hour.  

3) Some apps, by design, are continually on and therefore are using battery.  While some people are aware of this, I'm not sure all users are aware of this.  And frankly, without the task killer app or some way to see what's running, B&N shouldn't be viewing this as "user error."  This is a programming error on B&N's part (or maybe lack of programming is a better phrase)  I'm thinking of apps like LIVE WALLPAPERS here (even ones which just allow you to change photos will consume a noticable amount of battery over the course of the day. It's been so long I can't remember the %; think it was something like 6-7% over the course of the day, which for me, given my preferred 2-3 day recharge cycle, was too much.)  I'm not complaining about apps using battery here, just pointing out that some of them are using battery and people don't realize it.

4) Reports of unexplained battery drain when a SD card is inserted. 

I suspect that a certain amount of "defective" returns would be considered normal for ANY electronic device.  But statistically, the odds of the same people getting all the devices with defective batteries is pretty low, don't you think?  At the end of the day, these customers are going to be unhappy, they will return their device and replace it with something else.  And tell their friends to get something other than an NC/NT.  And B&N is going to have a stack of refurbs to get rid off.   Which is really a shame because it's a nice piece of hardware! 

Please, please, please.... get us a task killer app!  Not just for our sake, for B&N's bottom line too!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Re: Alex-Please Read: REVISITED

Any word yet Alex?  Can you please let us know as this is very frustrating.  Thank you!

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Re: Alex-Please Read: REVISITED

Well I see this morning that there is an "Your apps manager" app now available. It's 99 cents. It will allow you to kill an app that is running in the background among other things. But as usual no instructions on actually how to use the app. So here I go....Sure hope it helps solve my random battery drain issue.....

Contributor
Francesde1st
0 Kudos

"your app manager"

I know this app is new but I would like to know from new users  if this app helped with the battery drain.

Thanks

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: "your app manager"

Well, it's a little ugly but it seems to work (as far as killing apps is concerned.)  Since I was one of the "complainers", felt compelled to buy it and test it out.

When you open "your app manager" you will be presented with a list of apps installed on your nook.  By all, I mean "ALL" (including the android OS apps that are needed.  At this point, do NOT select any of the apps with the little green robot - in case you don't know what I am talking about.)  I'm not sure what will happen here if you select any of these.  Let someone more knowledgable about Android comment on this. 

On the right side of the screen across from each app, it will say either "Memory Unknown" (presumably these aren't running) or will list a file size (i.e. 21K, 24K, 34K, etc.)  I am assuming these are the running apps.  Press on the app that is running and you will be presented with some choices --- Switch To, Kill It!, Cancel.  Select your choice.  If you choose "Kill It", on the right hand side you will see the file size change from xxxK to "Memory Unknown."   

If you press on an app with "Memory Unknown" you will be given the options to Launch, Uninstall, or Cancel. I would really, really, really avoid uninstall at this point.  (This is what I meant by a little ugly --- I selected Adobe Air and was given these options.  Since I don't know how to reinstall this if it actually lets me uninstall it, I'm not going to test this feature out.) 

As I am a bit obsessed about battery life (always use the Exit button if there is one or BACKSWIPE out of apps when this option isn't present), I haven't really experienced any battery issues (once I figured out and changed my email settings to manual from every 5 minutes --- that was a realy battery drainer.) So I can't comment on whether or not it will solve the "unexplained battery issue."  I did check out some things though:

PULSE --- Even if you hit the exit button, this app seems to remain running.  You can change the frequency of how often it checks for updates though.  Mine is currently set to every 6 hours.  May have time to test it more next week but don't expect that this is causing a lot of battery drain.

MUSIC PLAYER --- Stock app, no exit button.  "Looks" like if you backswipe out it is still running (even if nothing playing.) 

NETFLIX --- I don't have an account so someone else is going to have to comment further.  But it looks like if you hit the exit button, it still seems to be open/running.  Of course if nothing is selected to play, don't know how it would still be using battery unless something to do with wifi and streaming. 

That's all I can tell you for now. Hope that helps.  

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I emailed the developer of "Your App Manager" asking what would happen if we tried to stop an app or a process that shouldn't be stopped.  I received a response within 5 minutes from them, and this is the response...

"Hi Cindy,

Thank you for purchasing Your App Manager!
To answer your question it will not kill anything critical on the NOOK and should you kill any application on NOOK it will simply restart that application should it be an application that NOOK feels should be open.
We would love to hear your feedback after use and hope you enjoy using Your App Manager.
If you have any suggestions for other apps you would like to see on NOOK please let us know.
Have an excellent day!

Support Team
#!* [ pound bang splat ]

Hope this helps us all!!

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Installed Your App Manager yesterday and I love it.  Went to bed last night with my battery at 88% and woke up this morning and it was still at 88%.  That has never happened that my battery doesn't drain overnight when not plugged in.  Several of my apps were still running in the background when I installed it and checked.  The app manager let me stop them very easily.  I do think this is a worthwhile app!

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis