Reader
Bill_N
0 Kudos

Angry Birds Star Wars bait-and-switch

I purchased Angry Birds Star Wars in March for my Nook Tablet, and it worked fine until I noticed that it was failing to update to the Cloud City levels.  I "live chatted" with Nook support, called 1-800-THE-BOOK, and visited my local B&N store to resolve this issue, and each time I was given some variation of (1) reboot my Nook, (2) archive/reinstall the App, (3) do a full Nook reset, or (4) delete/repurchase the app and ask for a refund.  Each solution failed to produce an updated version, and eventually the particular B&N representative I would be dealing with would punt the problem and tell me to "call the 1-800 number", "go to the store", or "try the web chat".

Yesterday, while trying (once again) to archive/reinstall this App, I ended up with an error message telling me that my Nook Tablet cannot download the app due to compatibility issues, and it disappeared altogether from my device's app library as well as from my archived apps (it still shows up in my purchase history, though!). I visited my local B&N (again) only to be told now that AB Star Wars is no longer compatible and that I should "call the 1-800 number" (again) to figure out where to go from here.  As has always been the case, the service tech at 1-800-THE-BOOK was completely clueless and could not help me.

After contacting Rovio directly, I received the following email this morning from "Joe":

"Thanks for contacting us. Angry Birds Star Wars is no longer compatible with NOOK devices earlier than the NOOK HD.  NOOK Tablet and earlier devices have been found to lack the processing capabilities necessary to run newer versions of the game. Our sincere apologies."

I feel completely scammed.  B&N (and Rovio) have pulled a complete bait-and-switch on us, selling an app to Nook Color and Nook Tablet owners with the promise that we'll receive "FREE UPDATES - this is only the beginning of the epic saga!" and then not only failing to do so but (at least in my case) deleting the app altogether from Nook devices. 

I've been a loyal B&N customer for over 20 years now.  I hate to say it but a stupid $2.99 app issue will not only ensure that my next tablet will not be a Nook but that my purchases from now on will be from B&N's competitor that begins with an "A".  As to my friends to whom I recommended Nook devices, I feel like a complete fool now.

It simply boggles my mind that a company would first charge a customer money for a product, fail to live up to that product, and then unilaterally steal that product back without a refund (seriously?) - heck, I'll bet Borders never thought to do that to its customers and we know what still happened to them. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,334
Solutions: 18

Re: Angry Birds Star Wars bait-and-switch

[ Edited ]

You are blaming the wrong company.

If you had an older Android tablet and had bought it through Google Play, would you be blaming Google?

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader
Bill_N
0 Kudos

Rovio did not delete this app from my Nook Tablet months after charging me for it, B&N did.  Yes, I am blaming the correct company. 

It's one thing for me to be stuck with a half-functional app, but now I have no app at all (and I'm $3.18 lighter for it, as well).

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

But Rovio is the one that unchecked the "compatible with NC/NT" box in the app. They are they ones that did it, not B&N. And they're the ones that recieved most of that $3 you're worked up over. 

Agree with you that they should have left the last working version up to be downloaded for NC/NT owners (but stopped selling it to NC/NT owners.) Probably Rovio could have done this but they chose to be lazy and didnt (there's 2 versions of Plants vs Zombies, one for the NC/NT and one for the HD devices. So clearly you can support more than one version.) Understand why you're angry, but IMO, it's misplaced.

Reader
Bill_N
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I get it that Rovio could/should have left the NC/NT version for sale, but that's not my problem.  

My problem is that on *my* NT, I have no ABSW app whatsoever anymore - gone, disappeared, deleted, whatever.  I paid for it, and now I don't have it anymore.  B&N, not Rovio, did that and I have no idea why.  

The fact that Rovio got the most of the $3 is irrelevant - I purchased it from B&N (not Rovio), my CC statement says I paid B&N (not Rovio), and I downloaded it from B&N's website using B&N hardware.  In any case Rovio has no control over my app inventory/library that sits on B&N servers, B&N does. 

This makes as much sense as me purchasing a book from B&N, only to have B&N come into my home and take it back because a new version has been published, all the while keeping the money I paid for original said book.

When I call 1-800-THE-BOOK to ask for a refund for my since-deleted app, I am told that they are unable to process one because the app does not show up in my app library.  No kidding - B&N deleted it! When I point out that my purchase history reflects me paying for the app in March, I am referred to a supervisor, and soon thereafter an "error" results in my call being dropped.  I know this is all over a stupid $3, but believe me, you'd be worked up about this as well.

DeanGibson

No, I wouldn't

[ Edited ]

Bill_N wrote:...  I know this is all over a stupid $3, but believe me, you'd be worked up about this as well.

There are a lot of people like this, and my best friend is included among them.  To him, every slight is a cause to take up, and he routinely (like weekly) does battle with some customer service person, routinely requesting a 2nd or 3rd level supervisor to right the grevious wrong he has suffered.  Lately it seems that he's figured out that I'm tired of hearing about his Don Quixote battles, because I hear fewer of them.  Or perhaps it's just that he's getting older.

He's still my best friend.

I find that taking offense at every slight is incompatible with the concept of forgiveness.  Of course, I also believe (somewhat less charitably) that most of the world's problems are due to stupidity, and that this is very difficult to solve with a customer service call.  I find that working around life's problems is more productive than getting upset about them.

Reader
Bill_N
0 Kudos

Re: No, I wouldn't

"Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost."

I won't bother responding to your ad hominem attack.  I simply wished to warn Nook Tablet owners that the apps they have purchased are apparently not theirs to own and that B&N has reserved the right to delete their otherwise functional apps from their devices with no notice and no refund. 

As a business, B&N should be seeking its customers' loyalty and sales, not their "forgiveness", and I have chosen to work my way around this problem by giving a heads-up to other Nook Tablet owners re: their own apps rather than trying to solve this via endless customer service calls.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Re: No, I wouldn't

[ Edited ]

Bill_N wrote:

"Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost."

I won't bother responding to your ad hominem attack.

How is what I said an ad hominem attack on you???

If you think that I said or impled that you were stupid (I didn't), then you didn't understand what I wrote.

Contributor
fkm71

While I understand why some may think this is a Rovio issue, it IS ultimately B&N who failed to properly take care of their customers by insuring that something like this could not happen.  It is obviously one of many bugs in their software.  Why would you allow an update to an app to completely remove an older version from no longer supported devices?  That is just stupid.  

I must say that I understand that B&N has the right to run their business the way they want.  I understand that my older NT isn't going to get any more updates.  Yet, I too have lost my belief in B&N as a company due to their inability to properly support a device ecosystem.  For example, my daughter's iPhone 4S and my old iPod touch still receive software updates.  B&N, however, finds it necessary to stop updating the buggy NT because they want you to buy the HD version.  Whatever.  I feel stupid for supporting them against Amazon and Apple.  I lowered my expectations and they couldn't even meet those.

One thing I have learned, though, is that the OP has lost that $3.  Give it up.  B&N doesn't care.  All you can really do is move on and make sure to spread the word to your friends and family to not purchase from B&N.  

As for B&N, for a company trying to stay relevent, they sure are not doing anything to help themselves.  I don't see them existing in 2 more years.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

fkm71 wrote:

Why would you allow an update to an app to completely remove an older version from no longer supported devices?  That is just stupid.  

I have a Nook Tablet and am considering also purchasing a Nook HD. I would like to use the same account in order to have access to all my books on both devices.  If so, and I updated an app on the HD, would the update automatically apply to the Tablet?  After reading this thread,  I would hope I could update an app on the HD and just ignore the update on the Tablet and continue running the older version.  Is this possible?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

I'm not positive, but I think app updates are local to the device.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 211 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: