Contributor
rgrrgr

Any chance of Google Play on Tablet?

Now that BN has announced support for Google Play on the HD and HD+ is there any chance of that for the tablet?

I seem to recall that you could install it manually for about a month after the tablet first came out, and then BN disabled that. Or am I misremembering?

In any case, it looks like we'll be seeing a steady decline in the quantity and type of apps available for the NT since developers will just release product on Google Play.

If it's a revenue thing, why not come up with an official BN full android 4.x version and charge $20 for it?  Android For Nook does it and I'd rather get it from BN to free up the reserved memory.

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

Re: Any chance of Google Play on Tablet?

Nope not a chance. We've been abandoned. No software upgrades, nothing etc. You want better you have to buy better. You'll never see it unless you root it or flash it yourself. 

Reader
debegray

I have a Nook Color and a Nook Tablet. I am completely disgusted by today's announcement. This is how the loyalty of early Nook buyers is rewarded. 

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

Makes two of us. But hey I guess we can always just spend more money right? I'm going to be a lot more careful with my next tablet purchase. 

Frequent Contributor
EB613

It super sucks. But I'll be happy for the NOOK HD peeps. I still haven't figured out BTW to manually do the A2N card. I have the card and download but I have a Mac and apparently that complicates things a little bit.

Contributor
Magic_Emrys

I've never been disapointed in owning a Nook. Until right now. The tablet hasn't had an update since June of last year. We've been dumped.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Generally discontinued devices receive few upgrades. The smart phone model currently reigns supreme, 18-24 months max upgrade period after device introduction.  I would make my voice known that a decent coupon or trade in credit for owners of previous generations is in order.  

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

I suppose thats fine... but does any nook tablet owner here feel they received any upgrade at all during its alleged non discontinued time? We received minor, mostly no user facing updates. Does any NT owner feel the hardware was used to its fullest extent? I don't. This is still great hardware. It was never really taken advantage of to its fullest extent imo. At least we can turn to the Developer communitry and keep our hardware going as B&N isn't going to do that for us. There is still money to be made off of NT owners but B&N isn't really taking advantage of those oppurtinities. 

I wish I had researched my purchase more. But who could have really predicted all this? I like the idea of a trade in program but seriously doubt B&N will do anything to make it lucrative much less do anything at all. But thats just me. 

JT

Contributor
rgrrgr

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately any coupon large enough to make want to buy an HD would eliminate any chance of profit.  And why would I trust BN by purchasing and HD if this is how they treat NT buyers?

My real beef is that providing Google Play to HD & HD+ actively undermines the availability of quality apps on the NT.

It's one thing to not provide an upgrade if one isn't needed. It's quite another to diminish the value of a product by restricting future content.

Reader 2
Athaki

I'd be perfectly happy if B&N would just allow us to side-load content again.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Athaki wrote:
I'd be perfectly happy if B&N would just allow us to side-load content again.

Maybe if you have enough voices,  one of the smart phone makers did it last year, might have been HTC.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's unlikely.

It was different with HD and HD+. B&N has lots of stock it needs to move.

The one slight chance is if HD and HD+ sales are very high and B&N also sees most people using B&N Book Store and Movie Store. Then it MIGHT open up Tablet. However, it's very unlikely.

Contributor
Magic_Emrys

We know it's unlikly that's why we're so angry. The Nook Color was updated MUCH longer than the nook tablet ever was. It's fustarting as hell thinking that I upgraded from the Nook Color to the Tablet only to get screwed over. I was thinking about getting the Nook HD+. Why bother?

Reader 2
Athaki

Magic_Emrys wrote:

We know it's unlikly that's why we're so angry. The Nook Color was updated MUCH longer than the nook tablet ever was. It's fustarting as hell thinking that I upgraded from the Nook Color to the Tablet only to get screwed over. I was thinking about getting the Nook HD+. Why bother?

Exactly.  The update window for Nook Tablet was so small compared to its predecessor.  I assumed that they would support the Tablet for at least as long.  However, that wasn't the case.  C'est la vie.  I wish them luck in unloading their unsold stock.    

New User
mnuhfer

This is just sad. There is NO reason for not allowing Play on the tablet or the plain color. The hardware is fine, it is just a grab for money.

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt
0 Kudos

Makes me wonder if B&N is getting out of the tablet business. Why would they allow the play store in like this? Maybe to just add value to a line they are going to be phasing out. At this point it would make sense for them to just provide the Nook store software and not the hardware. Adding play store is adding value to the Nook HD and +. It makes it easier to unload them. Just my thoughts.. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

mnuhfer wrote:

This is just sad. There is NO reason for not allowing Play on the tablet or the plain color. The hardware is fine, it is just a grab for money.

Actually, there are very good reasons.  See FT's post in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Talk/Nook-amp-Google-Play/m-p/1454209#M34726

Contributor
ladysaotome

I can understand FTs post. But I agree with everyone else, too. I got my Nook Tablet for Christmas last year. They stopped updating it in June. That's 6 months! I don't care how fast the turn around is for modern technology. If they don't give us Google Play or offer some kind of trade in or do something - anything! - to make me feel like they care even a smidge about my loyalty, then they will have lost it forever. I'll root my tablet, which I've been loyal enough to not do so far, and when it dies I will be replacing it with something that does not benefit B&N in any way. And you can bet I'll be buying my ebooks elsewhere, too.

Contributor
Magic_Emrys

Exactly ladysaotome. I think that's what upsets me the most. I upgraded from the Nook Color to the tablet and then 6 months later it was lamely updated. I bought it thinking that its a bit faster and it has a different OS than my Nook Color, but then June rolled around and my nook color got the exact same OS update as I had. Stupidly I thought oh my goodness. Is this how Nook is going to work? I'll get an new OS when they release the new Nook HD how awesome. I think I'm just going to root it. I really don't want to. I loved Nook and I had so much faith in them. But, now all I can think is why bother upgradeing to the new Nook HD or whatever is coming down the line?

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Agree with this:

Makes me wonder if B&N is getting out of the tablet business. Why would they allow the play store in like this? Maybe to just add value to a line they are going to be phasing out. At this point it would make sense for them to just provide the Nook store software and not the hardware. Adding play store is adding value to the Nook HD and +. It makes it easier to unload them.

B&N might be getting out of the Tablet Business or it might be switching to Windows 8 Tablets. That's why this 'gift' to HD and HD+ owners.

Nook Tablet owners, just sell your device for $100 or so on eBay and get HD and HD+. They are on sale for as low as $149 these days.