Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: Any chance of Google Play on Tablet?

EB613 wrote:

It super sucks. But I'll be happy for the NOOK HD peeps. I still haven't figured out BTW to manually do the A2N card. I have the card and download but I have a Mac and apparently that complicates things a little bit.

I prefer AndroidForNook (AFN) anyway.  Here's a link to their Mac forum.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
New User
vming
0 Kudos

I am very frustrated. I had the original nook and just upgraded to a nook tablet less than a year ago.  But without software upgrades on such a new device- I'm done. I spend thousands buying e-books.  My daughter has a kindle fire she never uses- I'll switch.  

Correspondent
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]

Less than a year ago?

As Satan's barrister, that is most of the way through the lifecycle of a consumer electronics product.

Most upgrades come out in the first six months to patch obvious bugs in the release. Real upgrades in functionality, after that period, cost money. Paying $50 for a ROM upgrade on an Amiga (in the late 80s) for a device expected to be in use for over 5 years was reasonable (when the device itself cost $1000 or more). $200 devices depreciate at $10-15 a month - would you be willing to pay for a real upgrade (rather than just a bug patch)?

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]
aside from the update that killed sideloading, has the nt received any functional updates since launch? bn could reenable sideloading for the nt trivially with an ota that unset the disable unknown sources flag.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

vming wrote:

My daughter has a kindle fire she never uses- I'll switch.  

Kindle Fires have Google Play.

/s

(More importantly, Amazon stopped pushing updates for their first gen KF as soon as their new models came out as well. It's a hollow threat if this is your reasoning.)

Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59

5ivedom wrote:

Nook Tablet owners, just sell your device for $100 or so on eBay and get HD and HD+. They are on sale for as low as $149 these days.

Yeah, well whether I sell my NT or not, my next tablet absolutely will NOT be from B&N. 

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

Ditto. No more B&N hardware from me. 

Reader
BeckyPOH

If they're hoping I'll buy a Nook HD, they'll be disappointed! I'll just use my iPad and purchase from Amazon!

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Best of luck to everyone with whatever new device you choose.

My only suggestion would be to check whether the issue that is causing you to leave, is present or not in the new device. That way you can avoid future disappointments.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

BeckyPOH wrote:

If they're hoping I'll buy a Nook HD, they'll be disappointed! I'll just use my iPad and purchase from Amazon!

Amazon stopped updating their first KF as soon as the new model came out as well.

As does nearly every other OEM.

Get used to it.

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

Irrelevant. Who cares what Amazon did. This is B&N. Hell apple was still giving me updates on my ipod touch 2-3 years after I bought it. So what company A and B did are irrelevant. 

We don't have to get used to anything. We deserved better and didn't get it. This hardware is still great hardware. All I can say is I think alof of customers who bought Nook "Tablets" have the right to be upset. They have the right to complain and have their voices heard. This move to add Play store on Nook HD/+ really screws existing customers. The B&N store is going to become irrelevant now. Who is serisouly going to work on apps for that now? Side loading was removed can't do that. Now we have three choices. Deal with it or root / rom it or switch to a different platform/hardware. 

I'm tired of people saying deal with or get used to it. This is bad customer relations. Do they really think I want to buy more hardware? Think again. If I end up buying more hardware it wont be B&N hardware. I can promise that. 

JT

Don't call it a "Tablet"

Frequent Contributor
ValGalinAZ

I have the NT and just prior to the HD/HD+ getting Google Play, I ordered the N2A card.  So to look at the brighter side - I will pick up the larger HD+ (since it's such a smokin' deal) and I will also have a 7" tablet with Google Play, which by the way works fantastic!!!   It's kind of like having the best of both worlds!  Just trying to look at the bright side here :smileyhappy:  

bobstro

On the one hand, it sucks to be left out of the party. On the other hand, I'm no worse off than I was the day before the HD/+ folks got GPS. There are still the same options, and my device is just as out of support as it was then. I'm pleased for the HD/+ users. If you've really want GPS on an NT, it can certainly be done, and rather well. Most users with obsolete hardware are simply out of luck. We have several good options, thanks to an active development community. Before flocking to throw money at Amazon, I'd suggest NC and NT users toss a few bucks to the developers. Not N2A or NFA, but to Cyanogenmod or other actual developer groups who have worked to make sure we're not out of options. 

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

EB613 wrote:

It super sucks. But I'll be happy for the NOOK HD peeps. I still haven't figured out BTW to manually do the A2N card. I have the card and download but I have a Mac and apparently that complicates things a little bit.

The AndroidForNook site has Mac instructions on it:  http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/forum-22.html.

Contributor
2PointySticks
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Nook Tablet owners, just sell your device for $100 or so on eBay and get HD and HD+. They are on sale for as low as $149 these days.

That's great, but I got this tablet less than a year ago, and with over 700 ebooks, it took DAYS to shelve and organize everything.  Why should I go through all that again when there's nothing wrong with my tablet, it's still under warranty and it's fully capable of running Google Play if they'd only load it on?

keriflur
0 Kudos

2PointySticks wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

That's great, but I got this tablet less than a year ago, and with over 700 ebooks, it took DAYS to shelve and organize everything.  Why should I go through all that again when there's nothing wrong with my tablet, it's still under warranty and it's fully capable of running Google Play if they'd only load it on?

Well, because they're not going to "load it on"?

Bibliophile
5ivedom

What Keriflur says.

Regarding Shelves.

Someone really needs to write some desktop software that does this and perhaps saves a backup in the clouds or on the PC.

The amount of time people are wasting in redoing shelves every time they have to reset or get a new device is crazy.

Contributor
2PointySticks
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

2PointySticks wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Well, because they're not going to "load it on"?

And I should reward them for that by buying a new tablet?  That would make me an irredeemable idiot.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

Rebeljt wrote:

Irrelevant. Who cares what Amazon did. This is B&N. Hell apple was still giving me updates on my ipod touch 2-3 years after I bought it. So what company A and B did are irrelevant. 

We don't have to get used to anything. We deserved better and didn't get it. This hardware is still great hardware. All I can say is I think alof of customers who bought Nook "Tablets" have the right to be upset. They have the right to complain and have their voices heard. This move to add Play store on Nook HD/+ really screws existing customers. The B&N store is going to become irrelevant now. Who is serisouly going to work on apps for that now? Side loading was removed can't do that. Now we have three choices. Deal with it or root / rom it or switch to a different platform/hardware. 

I'm tired of people saying deal with or get used to it. This is bad customer relations. Do they really think I want to buy more hardware? Think again. If I end up buying more hardware it wont be B&N hardware. I can promise that. 

JT

Don't call it a "Tablet"

I agree. B&N is struggling to make it in this market and not go under like other big box book stores, with many of the radio/tv/internet tech people recommending the kindle it is crazy for B&N not to take care of the customers...I went with tablet because of years of shopping at B&N I don't have the budget to buy new tablet every year or so. ridiculous

keriflur
0 Kudos

2PointySticks wrote:
And I should reward them for that by buying a new tablet?  That would make me an irredeemable idiot.

You have a strange perception of purchasing.  I'll be sure to let my grocery store know I'm "rewarding" them the next time I buy a gallon of milk.