Reader
meKD

Re: Anyone have the app AMV just show up?

I have a nook tablet and it showed up on mine. I don't appreciate B&N taking up the memory on my tablet by adding apps without my permission.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18

Misplaced frivolity

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

This is NOT a new app. [It's been on the Nook Tablet since the beginning, and on the Nook Color for over a year.]

One wonders what other beautiful apps are hidden away on our Nooks, waiting to be revealed at the right moment ... :smileywink:

OK, guys/gals;  my last sentence was frivolous, but the AMV app is one of the B&N-provided permanent apps, like Pandora and Nook Friends™.  I don't have any particular need for the latter two either, but it is unnecessary and pointless to delete them.  Not only do these permanent occupy a tiny amount of space, but they're in the "system" partition, which is space unavailable to either downloaded apps or media (the "data" partition), or user (the "media" partition) space.  That means that any space recovered is NOT available to either downloaded apps, downloaded media, or sideloaded user files.  You can fuss about the space if you want, but it's technically and practically pointless.

You can delete them if you root, but if you do, but in all likelihood they will come back to haunt you.  When I had a Nook Tablet, I rooted and deleted NetFlix and HuluPlus.  I deleted the apps, the configuration files, the working directories, everything.  They just kept being reloaded into the downloaded app ("data") partition, ending up taking more (valuable) space (and my time) than if I'd just left them alone.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

lemachine wrote:

Hello.

I have this symptom too. There are so many facets to discuss about this Barnes & Noble faux pas, but, I don't want to be a bore.

However, B&N email support instructed me to connect WiFi (which the NC always is-but they wouldn't know that) and perform a device "sync" and a power cycle. They think that will sort it. We'll see. After that, the PLAN B for them is a device reset. I don't know about you. but that is not what I want to hear.

So, usually when a company does something disruptive or harmful like this update is--they offer some form of compensation. Aha, but not Barnes & Noble. No sir. 

If they screw up your "Iced double tall decaf nonfat vanilla one pump mocha no whip mocha" at Starbucks--they not only let you keep the screwed up drink but they make you another on the spot, and if that is not acceptable they offer your money back and a gift card of equal value of the drink for next time. If the barrista is unhappy about it--it does not show. They are happy to make it right at Starbucks.

Customer service anecdote #2--I just returned a pair of Timberland boots after 10 years (the best boots they made at the time) because on one of the boots--the sole separated from the upper. For boots that cost as much or more than a Nook Color - Timberland readily springs into action. They sent me a prepaid box and a RMA. They got the boots, inspected them, and agreed it was a manufacturing defect. They replaced the boots with the new best boots they make. No charge, no questions asked, no excuses. When I next buy boots for me, my wife, or four children--guess what kind of boots I will buy? You got it. Treat me right and I am a customer for life.

Doing the right thing and doing things right are the price good companies pay for my loyalty. What about you? Putting mus to work for their mistake and not offering us anything to sweeten the deal should be at their peril.

I will no longer patronize Barnes & Noble given their customer haughty service and arrogant tone. There are just too many ways for me to dispose of their product, and too many alternatives to replace them. Ones like Amazon - that I already know treat their customers better.

So if I have to reset my NC--sure, I'll play ball, but then on to EBAY it goes. (Make me an offer before the auction-I take Paypal.)

Off to Amazon I go for my Kindle Fire, or to Google for a Nexus...with Barnes & Noble left behind far far behind. 

Sorry for the editorial, but people should know that they can be treated better and they are not prisoners, or guinea pigs of the Barnes & Noble software agreement.

Finally, it's a good thing Barnes & Noble doesn't build aircraft, de-fuse explosives, or perform brain surgery.

Just one more example of destroying a business one customer at a time ... :smileyindifferent:

New User
HernandezAali

[ Edited ]

I thought it was a virus. So glad someone else found out what it was. I was thinking, what did I download now?!

Frequent Contributor
AmyMacEvilly
0 Kudos

Cause it wants me to sign into *another* system with *another* login, and I don't want to.

Frequent Contributor
AmyMacEvilly
0 Kudos

Re: It's been HIDING ...

Well, now I'm wondering if I'm missing an update since it disappeared when you did the update. . . 

New User
YG33

Re: It's been HIDING ...

here's my conversation with BN help...
Vance Marsh: Yvonne, this is an app which is used for magazines on the device. It has been uploaded by BN server itself.

Vance Marsh: I regret to inform you that this app cannot be deleted.

Vance Marsh: AMV stands for Adobe Magazine Viewer.
Reader 4
faithMG
0 Kudos

Today it showed up on my nt. I heard in a store a few weeks a there was a nt upgrade coming that would allow catalogs like the hd have. The amv could be how we will view catalogs.
New User
55Nooks
0 Kudos

It would make sense that it is the 'Adobe Magazine Viewer'.

This app did not show up on my tablet app library until this week - after I subscribed to the Nook version of a magazine.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

meKD wrote:
I have a nook tablet and it showed up on mine. I don't appreciate B&N taking up the memory on my tablet by adding apps without my permission.

You know, pretty much every tablet out there has apps pre installed that can't be removed.  When I had my Android tablet, there were pre installed apps that couldn't be deleted.  There are 18 apps on my ipad that can't be deleted.

but, BN should send something out when the install a new one.

Contributor
BlckBetty
0 Kudos

Okay......so we all know what it is/isn't/supposed to be....but here is another question: WHY IS IT STILL "INSTALLING". Is anyone else experiencing this?
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BlckBetty wrote:
Okay......so we all know what it is/isn't/supposed to be....but here is another question: WHY IS IT STILL "INSTALLING". Is anyone else experiencing this?

Good question.  When I rooted my NC and NT (both running v1.4.3), I noticed that when I installed an app from  the Android Market Google Play, sometimes the app would continuously show as download/installing, but would otherwise work.  If I rebooted, that indication would go away.

Naturally, when rooted, one takes responsibility for aberrant behavior, so I figured that was part of the deal, so to speak.

However, I wonder for those showing AMV as continuously installing (yes, there are others), whether the two "problems" are related.  I'd like to know if rebooting cures the problem for the AMV app, as it did for me for my apps.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

No, Dean, rebooting did not fix the continuously installing issue on my unrooted NC. I had to do a factory reset to get the AMV icon to disappear. After manually updating to 1.4.3 a couple of days ago, it has not reappeared.

New User
jj12391
0 Kudos

i dont even know what it is. or what it does.....why did it just appear??

Bibliophile
5ivedom

jj, a few things -

1) It is an in-built app. It was always there. It just wasn't visible.

2) It's appeared now because it's Adobe Magazine Viewer and is needed to view some magazines like GQ and Home & Garden.

3) My understanding is that apart from being annoying in suddenly appearing, it doesn't change anything.

Reader
CenTexGal
0 Kudos

I had this app "just show up."  The quite distressing thing is that, since I did not know/recognize it, I was a little worried about it (couldn't delete it; couldn' archive it; couldn't open it) so I called "tech" support. The fellow I spoke with, "Adam," (sure sure) represented himself to be able to help but he had never even heard of this.  Based on what I've learned just here, he certainly should have heard of this and been able to tell me that and reassure me that it was some BN Nook shenanigans going on.

New User
Pandemoniac

5ivedom wrote:

3) My understanding is that apart from being annoying in suddenly appearing, it doesn't change anything.

It does however give a boost in sales to the only anti-virus app available for the Nook because it is one letter transposed from a known Android trojan (AVM) and the "developer" in the details is listed as AMV instead of Adobe or Barnes and Noble or something else recognizeable. The support contact e-mail address was "noideaatall@book.com". Not exactly something that gives you warm fuzzies about an app that mysteriously appears out of no-where and never finishes installing.

I'm not particularly upset that something was installed/made visible without notification. I'm pretty ticked off that the details of the app are so mangled that I couldn't tell it was legitimate.

Contributor
BlckBetty
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me as well with nookColor support and I was merely wondering when my device would get the update to 1.4.3. I literally had to explain the situation three to four times to him (not only that, but also spell everything out like one does: C as in Charlie etc.) And then finally after the last timme of being adament that this discussion was going on on the boards he says mumbles and something and so I thought he was "looking it up" only to find myself still on the line but no one else. That is not good and knowledgable customer service!
Reader
ljinCA
0 Kudos

Mine is still installing, although I'm not sure how I'll know when it's done installing, since I don't know what it's supposed to do...
Reader
jigglyTX
0 Kudos

This showed up today and now any updates to other apps or apps I purchase are installing forever!  This stinks!!!!  :smileysad:  Hate to see what happens when I try purchase a book!   Any ideas?  Kind of electronic challenged....