Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone have the app AMV just show up?

RogerMD, to the best of my memory, someone from B&N did mention in the forums that

1) It's always been on Nook. It was just hidden.

2) It's used for reading certain types of magazines.

I don't know whether it affects battery life or not.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

RogerMD wrote:

Appears it's been quiet for a while, but this AMV app is still a prevalent problem. I noticed it last Friday, because my Nook Color was on standby, hadn't used it the whole week and when I did, the battery was dead. I found that peculiar because usually it's just 50% discharged if not used for a week.

I couldn't get the AMV app to fully install, and also appears to have blocked the download of the Twitter app. It too would reflect installing, but never actually install. I decided to Archive it to delete it from the Nook Color. The AMV app still reflected installing.

I powered-off the Nook, then back on, it started installing from the beginning again, but never completes. Charged it again fully again this last Sunday.

Yesterday evening it was already at 20% since last Sunday, even though it was only on standby, never fully turned on to use. So the AMV app is trying to download & install in the background using up battery charge life.

Bottom-line it's generating a constant power drain on the device since it hasn't fully installed and is stuck in this loop cycle, which also impacts the installation of other apps.

It's sad that there's no official word from Barnes & Noble about this issue, acknowledging it at the very least, with some info that it will be fixed in the next update.

Officially ignoring it is very sad and that's what is taking place -

A silent statement ignoring this officially!

Here's a couple of thoughts:

Yes, agree with you --- if it is continually trying to install, it probably is eating up your battery.

You mentioned Nook Color --- what's the partitioning on your device?  The "original" devices (prior to the app store opening) only had 1GB of space available for apps.  At a certain point, they changed it 5gb I think.  People with older devices could take their NC to the store and have it repartitioned. (Just had it done yesterday on an NC --- did call first to make sure they had it.)  Oddly enough, neither AMV or Twitter showed up yesterday.  Shopping from the store seems to have triggered the Twitter download today. Not seeing AMV yet.

So Twitter keeps saying it's installing on the NC.  But when I select the icon, it opens up.  Still says its installing. Do the soft reset (Hold the power button down , when the "Do you want to power down?", ignore the message, keep holding the power button until the device turns off.  Wait 20 seconds.  Then power back on.)  At this point, when I go to apps, Twitter no longer shows as installing.  At this point, DON"T TOUCH THE TWITTER ICON AGAIN (unless of course you want to use the program.) Doing so on the HD+ somehow changes a setting so that every time you turn on wi-fi, it initiates Twitter to run in the background, until you clear the cache (which I can't seem to do on the NC.)

As a side note, did try to install the App Killer after Twitter was installing (but before soft reset.)  It basically got stuck as well.  Ended up archiving App Killer, doing soft reset, then unarchiving App Killer.

So would you try the soft reset and see if that finishes clearing/installing the AMV app on the NC?  TIA

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

twitter app stuck in constant install loop even after reset to factory specs....

Murphy's law, according to Danial Jackson of stargate sg-1:
1- ‘Murphy's law said: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.’
2- ‘And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.’
Contributor
mims-mor

My Nook Color got hit with the AMV/Twitter infection yesterday. Yes, i consider it to be a currently incurable infection transmitted by malicious B&N malware. I notice that Alex never came back to offer any further info. His comment about the problem being caused by the need to upate was patently untrue because most of the afflicted devices seem to have been running the most current software version. Like most everyone else, the infection was transmitted to my NC when I went to the shop to download a new app. I have done a hard reboot and the offenders are no longer visibly downloading or installing but I am watching to see if the battery is still draining. I have the original NC from Nov 2010 with original partitioning and NO, I do not want , nor should I have to drive 45 miles to get it repartitioned because of BN's incompetence. I will still buy books from BN but the lack of software support that this device received has insured that I will never trust them to sell a functional, reliable device.
Frequent Contributor
RogerMD
0 Kudos

Just checked this morning and the AMV app is still there. I clicked on it to see what it would do since it shows almost partially downloaded after several weeks of the Nook Color being left on stand-by. It appeared on the Home screen and indicated "Installing" right from the beginning again. So I deleted it from the Home screen and turned the Nook off.

This is annoying!!

It should just download, install and be finished. The fact that it's either indicating that it partially downloaded/installed and then wants to install from the beginning again proves there's something eminently wrong.

Nook Color
Frequent Contributor
RogerMD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi NookGardener Had not noticed your reply to my post.

Well I will have to check about the partitioning. However, it sounds like you had yours partitioned and now Twitter doesn't work correctly. I happen to want to use Twitter, so I'm not sure that fixing one issue and creating aTwitter issue is a sure fix to this problem.

I'll review this in more detail tonight to see what I find. I've not done a complete hard reset/restore as I've not wanted to go through all that and not sure if even that would be the cure.I'cw somw Power-Off resets, but that doens't fix the problem at all.

I do also know that Hotmail doesn't really work correctly in the Mail app. It loads the Hotmail emails, then when you access an email, it begins to contact the Hotmail servers again and then you get an error message timing out. That's been like that since the beginning and I simply gave up using my Nook Color for accessing email at all. We're talking about over a year now since the ability to access email via their app was announced. Even if you select "never" check, it will time out anyway.

It's sad because the focus by B&N is now on their new Nook Color HD devices and not on their first one. However, ignoring loyal customers leaves a bad experience. If asked, I will voice my experience and I'm sure thousands others will also.

I don't expect things to be fixed in a few weeks, but this issue with AMV has been prevalent for many months now - way too long and no mention of how to or if there is any intention to ever fix it. The email for way over a year, maybe going on close to two years now.

This partitioning you mention doesn't even sound like a fix either.

Nook Color
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

RogerMD, partitioning is a definite fix. It's worked for EVERYONE who tried it and then discussed on forums. So you can rest assured that unless somethng completely strange happens in your case, it's going to work.

Twitter App has nothing to do with partitioning.

The app AMV is a hidden app that was already installed. It showed up now because I'm guessing it was needed for some magazines.

So, from B&N's perspective, there is NO ISSUE. I know to us it seems it's an issue that it would silently appear. But it's an app that's needed for magazines. So AMV (Adobe Magazine Viewer) is not going to be removed - ever. It's just going to be there. We just have to get used to it.

Does the mobile version of hotmail work for you in the browser?

Doing a complete reset is not recommended. You'll have to do it when you get your device partitioned anyways. So no point doing it twice.

Reader
allycub

the Twitter app on the Color and Tablet device was just added.  These are not virus or malware related.  The HD/hd+ devices got a Facebook and Twitter app added for people wanting easier access to those social media outlets.   For the color/tablet devices, they get the Twitter app and then use m.facebook.com for mobile facebook access.  

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

with regards to the twitter app..

problem is its stuck on installing, and is thus unusable.

2- ‘And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.’
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

@RogerMD

Try the soft reset first (hold power button, ignore pop up that says "do you want to power off" and keep holding power button until completely powers down. Then turn it back on.) This cleared it enough that other things worked again. Never tried to log into twitter so dont know if it works or not. You'll have to test it. 

Re: email.  Havent tried it, but have heard good things about K9 mail app.  It might be worth a try.

OT: Thought hotmail.com was changed to outlook.com awhile back. is it pointing to right thing?

AMV: Agree with you should be fixed. It's weird that it is causing problems for some people and not others.

Contributor
mims-mor

The hard reset worked to remove the constantly installing AMV icon and the Twitter icon no longer showed as installing. I reloaded apps, turned wi-fi on and off, downloaded a new app from the shop and everything was still okay. After I turned the Nook off and then back on, the AMV was still gone but the Twitter was again saying installing as soon as I turned wi-fi on. It is actually installed on the device now and I was able to sign in but the icon still has the installing banner.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

On Hotmail to Outlook - I'm not sure what they are doing. Outlook keeps going down. Every single day it's down once or twice.

On icon stil showing installing - If it's working, best to ignore the icon.

Frequent Contributor
RogerMD
0 Kudos

5ivedom - Thanks for the info. Very informative.

With regard to partitioning, it appears I need to go to the store and request to have it partitioned?

Can I do this myself?

I imagine after partitioning, it will be the equivalent of having done a full reset and have to setup again as a new device.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Roger

Nook Color
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Nope, you cant repartition it yourself. Yes, when they finish repartitioning, it will be like a brand new device.  You'll have to reinstall everything.So make sure you backup any sideloaded/downloaded docs/files that you want to restore. Two other thoughts:

1) Call the store you plan to visit in advance and make sure they still have the card handy. My store did, but I recall someone complaining at one point that they went in to have it done, and no one could find the disc. It took about 45 minutes for the lady to repartition and then install the most recent software.

2)Connect to the nook shop and download something (can be a free book/app) while you are still in the store. It was connecting to the store that seems to trigger the twitter download. If its still causing a problem, if nothing else, there is some satisfaction in showing an employee the problem you are having.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Everything Nook Gardener said. I'd recommend getting it done at a store.

It's too much work and risk to do it yourself.

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

did the hard reset, no dice, twitter app still wont load, still stuck as installing.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

XRaiderV1, 

Are you using an NC or an NT? If you were to purchase a freebook, will it download? 

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

I havent tried, but I did recently purchase a paid book last week with no problems, and I'm using a nook color.

Reader 2
ThoughtsOfAWorkingMom
0 Kudos

No it is on NT too, and I want to get rid of it!

Reader 2
ThoughtsOfAWorkingMom
0 Kudos

There is a new Twitter update, so try archiving, unarchiving, and update app