New User
Bilbo55

Re: Anyone have the app AMV just show up?

B&N support told me it was "Adobe Magazine Viewer".
Reader
allycub

just talked to store support on the BN.com chat and this is what I was told for that AMV app: 

this is a background update, which is an update for files to open amv format magazines/subscriptions and will support adobe magazine viewer content file formats.   some people will see just a white screen if it opens, the tech team has escalated this tech issue because they know it isn't yet working for some people after restarting or rebooting their devices.    The app will update as they get the issues fixed with it and then it will be an added preloaded app like those that come preloaded on the device.    This may take some time but the tech people are working on these updates.   

mystery solved on the AMV app. 

New User
rainingdown
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information! I had this show up on my app library and when tapped, it crashes my library. I'll quit tapping in for now! 

Thank you!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Yeah, saw it and wondered what it was.

Don't really like this concept of apps suddenly appearing on my device. Especially ones that don't clearly indicate what they are.

Contributor
BlckBetty

Agreed!

Frankly I am very glad that they are updating certain things, I feel like the owners of nookColor may be left behind someday. I just wish theyw would update the video viewing capabilities instead of Magazine....but then again, I don't read magazines on my nook so I might just be a little biased on this one.

I haven't checked mine since this morning, but I do know it is still that ugly grey "blank" app. Will it always be viewable, or since it is basically (from what it sounds) supposed to be a background app, will it "archive" itself in a way?

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

After seeing this thread late last night, I checked my NC and sure enough it was in  my apps. I rebooted it  and it said "installing". An hour later it was still installing. Fearing a virus, I did the 8 failed-reboot factory reset process which set it back to 1.2 (apparently repartitionoing  long time ago replaced my 1.0 version with 1.2), and the AMV app was gone. This morning I manually installed 1.4.3, and AMV is still gone. Scary what they do without warning or explanation.

Reader
DT101

I don't know if anybody from BN actually monitors this forum, but they dropped the ball all the way around on this.  Somebody had to tell their IT group to push that update out - but they apparently never informed their 'agents' or customers. That is just poor business practice. And as of earlier today, they were aware of the issue, and still made no effort to inform their customers.

For those of us that have needlessly registered their devices, will the app be reissued?  I had one tech actually ask me for the order number, after I explained the issue to her twice.

New User
becki-t

I have enough preloaded crap in my apps that I cant get rid of. I keep having to archive the ones that i want to keep others that i eant because of them.
Reader
RebekahAsksQuestions

That e-mail address is invalid. I requested information by e-mail last night and got the mail back this morning as "undeliverable."

Reader
RebekahAsksQuestions

I also have this app "installing," and it has been "installing" for two days. Answers would be good, B&N people! If it IS a valid app, it isn't working correctly and there is no way to stop it or remove it as far as I have been able to tell. The e-mail address for the developer is invalid.

Reader 4
RBHolb

I'm glad I know what this is now.  I wish B&N had told me, as it would have saved some worry (not to mention the effort of investigating).

Incidentally, I noticed that several other apps that I had already bought and installed had updates to download.  They may have been there before, unnoticed by me.

Frequent Contributor
AmyMacEvilly

I can't give kudos, so I just wanted to let folks know:
1) thanks for calling support and reporting back to the community
2) I definitely agree about B&N dropping the ball on this: no heads up to the message boards? no e-mails?
3) thank you all for saving me panic and going through the reregistration stuff. I noticed this mystery app this morning and thought hack/virus; read my e-mail first to see if there was something from BN. Nope. This board was my next stop. My plan was then to sign into my BN acct and see if I could delete it from there.
Again, thanks all for saving some of us the grief. Boo to BN.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

AmyMacEvilly wrote:
I can't give kudos, so I just wanted to let folks know:
1) thanks for calling support and reporting back to the community
2) I definitely agree about B&N dropping the ball on this: no heads up to the message boards? no e-mails?
3) thank you all for saving me panic and going through the reregistration stuff. I noticed this mystery app this morning and thought hack/virus; read my e-mail first to see if there was something from BN. Nope. This board was my next stop. My plan was then to sign into my BN acct and see if I could delete it from there.
Again, thanks all for saving some of us the grief. Boo to BN.

Why can't you give kudos?

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18

It's been HIDING ...

[ Edited ]

This is NOT a new app.  Each time B&N releases a software update, I grab the update file and save it.  Yes, I saw it show up on a newly-purchased (used) Nook Color w/ v1.4.2 yesterday, and wondered what it was.  When I updated to v1.4.3, it disappeared from the Apps page, but was still there (viewed when rooted).

So, I searched my B&N update archives for AMV.app:

nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip:  1340526  10-13-10 13:29   system/app/AMV.apk
nookcolor_1_4_2_update.zip:  1340526  10-13-10 13:29   system/app/AMV.apk
nookcolor_1_4_3_update.zip:  1472888  10-13-10 13:29   system/app/AMV.apk

tablet/factory-v1.4.0.zip:  1340476  10-13-10 14:29   system/app/AMV.apk
nooktablet_1_4_1_update.zip:  1340520  10-13-10 14:29   system/app/AMV.apk
nooktablet_1_4_2_update.zip:  1340520  10-13-10 14:29   system/app/AMV.apk
nooktablet_1_4_3_update.zip:  1472872  10-13-10 14:29   system/app/AMV.apk

One wonders what other beautiful apps are hidden away on our Nooks, waiting to be revealed at the right moment ... :smileywink:

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Reader
coachcarol

This app is not in my library on my account. It is on my device. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.
Reader 2
Kealnt
0 Kudos

So how do you get rid of it?

Inspired Contributor
EB613
0 Kudos

I'm assuming no one with a NT has it? Because I don't. 

It's just NC? Weird...

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

EB613 wrote:

I'm assuming no one with a NT has it? Because I don't. 

It's just NC? Weird...

It's on my wife's NT.  Also, since this thread is in the NT forum, I'm guessing the OP has it on their NT.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Reader
allycub
0 Kudos

nope the amv app is for Nook color and the Nook tablet.  I believe that HDs don't have it.

New User
lemachine

Hello.

I have this symptom too. There are so many facets to discuss about this Barnes & Noble faux pas, but, I don't want to be a bore.

However, B&N email support instructed me to connect WiFi (which the NC always is-but they wouldn't know that) and perform a device "sync" and a power cycle. They think that will sort it. We'll see. After that, the PLAN B for them is a device reset. I don't know about you. but that is not what I want to hear.

So, usually when a company does something disruptive or harmful like this update is--they offer some form of compensation. Aha, but not Barnes & Noble. No sir. 

If they screw up your "Iced double tall decaf nonfat vanilla one pump mocha no whip mocha" at Starbucks--they not only let you keep the screwed up drink but they make you another on the spot, and if that is not acceptable they offer your money back and a gift card of equal value of the drink for next time. If the barrista is unhappy about it--it does not show. They are happy to make it right at Starbucks.

Customer service anecdote #2--I just returned a pair of Timberland boots after 10 years (the best boots they made at the time) because on one of the boots--the sole separated from the upper. For boots that cost as much or more than a Nook Color - Timberland readily springs into action. They sent me a prepaid box and a RMA. They got the boots, inspected them, and agreed it was a manufacturing defect. They replaced the boots with the new best boots they make. No charge, no questions asked, no excuses. When I next buy boots for me, my wife, or four children--guess what kind of boots I will buy? You got it. Treat me right and I am a customer for life.

Doing the right thing and doing things right are the price good companies pay for my loyalty. What about you? Putting mus to work for their mistake and not offering us anything to sweeten the deal should be at their peril.

I will no longer patronize Barnes & Noble given their customer haughty service and arrogant tone. There are just too many ways for me to dispose of their product, and too many alternatives to replace them. Ones like Amazon - that I already know treat their customers better.

So if I have to reset my NC--sure, I'll play ball, but then on to EBAY it goes. (Make me an offer before the auction-I take Paypal.)

Off to Amazon I go for my Kindle Fire, or to Google for a Nexus...with Barnes & Noble left behind far far behind. 

Sorry for the editorial, but people should know that they can be treated better and they are not prisoners, or guinea pigs of the Barnes & Noble software agreement.

Finally, it's a good thing Barnes & Noble doesn't build aircraft, de-fuse explosives, or perform brain surgery.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 179 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: