Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone have the app AMV just show up?

Jiggly

The AMV app shouldn't affect other apps.

What you're seeing is probably due to something else entirely.

Go to your Settings and look at the row for 'Storage for B&N Content'. How much free space does that show?

Reader
jigglyTX
0 Kudos

Plenty of memory and today everything has quit installing. Thank you! AMV is still on there and B&N said it was on my end.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Here are the common things I've seen on forum and with customers

1) An app installed and was uninstalled but in the process of installation it caused the installer to mess up.

Use the 'App Killer' app to check list of installed apps and then uninstall the LAST App you installed that worked fine and/or the FIRST app that failed to install correctly.

2) FIRST:

Archive some books you are not going to read, and archive some apps you are not playing any more. Look to see if you have any large magazine apps or such.

Any large downloads?

SECOND:

Restart Nook.

Power Off: Press and Hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power On: Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

3) When you go to settings page there will be two rows

B&N Storage

STorage for Other Content

What do both of those say?

Please write down the values i.e.

X GB

Y MB

ZZ% Free etc.

That will help figure things out.

New User
Scribbles888
0 Kudos

No, I have a NT and I have the amv app- it shows a white screen
Reader
HKHH
0 Kudos

Yes. My only problem is that I cannot understand why B & N would install it on our devices without (1) telling us first and (2) perfecting it first. I initially assumed it was a Virus or a Trojan Horse. I was unable to delete it after multiple attempts. Although I considered the deregistration path that would erase everything, I have invested too much time and effort installing apps--many 3rd party-- and setting up things to start all over unless absolutely necessary. I contented myself with installing AVG antivirus and doing scans in the hope it would detect and deal with any problem. Although I doubt if B & N would even notice or care, I also held off on investing in one of the new nook hds. Thank you so much for solving the problem!

New User
flickerMH
0 Kudos

I have it also since I just did an update on my nook color....I beleive it is a magazine reader app. that is preinstalled and can't be deleted........still can't figure out why it is continually saying "installing"?!  Just hold down on the icon and "hide" or remove from home page. I think it may go away with the next update..or I hope so....don't know much more

New User
flickerMH
0 Kudos

2 weeks ago

just talked to store support on the BN.com chat and this is what I was told for that AMV app:

this is a background update, which is an update for files to open amv format magazines/subscriptions and will support adobe magazine viewer content file formats. some people will see just a white screen if it opens, the tech team has escalated this tech issue because they know it isn't yet working for some people after restarting or rebooting their devices. The app will update as they get the issues fixed with it and then it will be an added preloaded app like those that come preloaded on the device. This may take some time but the tech people are working on these updates.

mystery solved on the AMV app.

13 people found this solution to be helpful

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks.

OK, interesting to find out they know there are issues for some people and they are working on it.

They really should send out a notification saying the app was pre-installed, why it's being made available etc.

New User
lemachine
0 Kudos

Background...schmackground. Anyone that has seen the AMV "INSTALLING" design side-effect--can pretty much tell you it is in the FOREGROUND on the APPS screen. BACKGROUND? Someone got told a whopper and believed it. At the core of this, and it should concern the living, is very poop Product Management from a schlock... soon to be toast Book Store that is trying to dabble in technology and is failing. The have failed on so many basic levels here-it is hard to mention them all. The person posting the "losing customers one at a time" should write a book. This epic f-up of the AMV app can be chapter one. You can press and hold all the buttons in any order and for as long as you want--when you turn your Nook back on it will be there. The only way to rid yourself of this pest is a deregister and reset. That is the kind of hassle that demands some consideration from B&N--which you know isnt coming from this two-bit organization. So I urge you to get the Nook APP on some other device that works. The deregister and rest and power-down for good. Make the Nook a paperweight. Or....you can buy mine...already been through the ringer for $99...I take Paypal. BARNES & NOBLE and their pals at Adobe screwed the pooch and are too dumb and offshored to know it. By the way...when I was a Product Manager...I constantly monitored forums like this and always made things right...Product Management and Customer Service are like Manti T'Eo's girlfriend...imaginary.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Bonus points for the Manti Teo reference.

I have to admit it's getting pretty tough for me too. V2.0.6 having the Apps Disappearing issue, after it happening in V2.0.5. That's a killer.

I want B&N to do well.

It makes beautiful hardware.

It's the only big bookstore chain left.

And of course reasons like selling apps for it and Nook owners being Awesome people.

It's becoming tough. The software issues are too much. I have nearly every Nook and Kindle and the hardware - B&N is clearly better.

B&N really need to find a solution for the software.

Reminds me of Sony and how they lost out completely in eReaders because their eInk Ereader while beautiful was really difficult to use.

I really hope B&N gets its software stuff figured out.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

thanks for asking

I have the NC and it just started downloading the AMV app without my permission.  I do not need nor want this app and cannot get rid of it because it's stuck in the installing loop (I really wish you people that keep insisting this happens because there's not enough memory would give it a rest-I have more than enough memory -it is either a software glitch or a server problem). Usually once you do a hard reboot and then hit the update button the problem gets resolved.

New User
noraAJ
0 Kudos

thanks for the info. This was making me crazy not knowing what this ugly grey blank page thing was.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: thanks for asking

IrishElf, based on other users calling up B&N -

1) It was an app that was preloaded on Nook but wasn't visible.

2) It is used by some magazines. It's AMV - Adobe Magazine Viewer.

3) Restart fixed issue for some people of App not finishing installing. However, I also read some users saying B&N support told them it is known issue (app not installing) and a fix is being worked on.

New User
Greyhaven
0 Kudos

My husband says it makes a great night lite!
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40

Hi All,

We apologize for the inconvenience. As 5ivedom and others have noted earlier. This app was always part of your NOOK OS, though it remained hidden.

Unfortunately, a recent update has brought it to the forefront of your devices. However, to resolve this error please make sure to update your device to our latest OS version 1.4.3. If you have not already had an automatic download pushed to your device, you can manually install the update here.

Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience faced.

Hope this helps!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
LeftyMcKay

I am running OS version 1.4.3 and still have the AMV app displayed as "Installing".
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

LeftyMcKay - restarting it should fix it.

Press and hold power button for 20 seconds to turn Nook off.

Press and hold power button for 4 seconds to turn Nook on.

Frequent Contributor
XRaiderV1
0 Kudos

i'm running 1.4.3 and this just made itself visible out of the blue one day when I went to play bejeweled 2.
Murphy's law, according to Danial Jackson of stargate sg-1:
1- ‘Murphy's law said: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.’
2- ‘And Jackson’s law said: Anything that cannot go wrong will always go wrong.’
New User
LeftyMcKay
0 Kudos

Restarted my nook but it's still there.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

And it's probably going to stay there until/unless B&N rolls out a new update that flags it has a hidden application.

Baron Wulfraed