New User
juggernaut975
0 Kudos

Blank Thumbnail Icon instead of cover.

Greetings all!

Had a quick question about a recent purchase I made, I saw something I wanted to pick up and, at the time, the cover was the 'blank' gray icon (with the title and nook symbol).

A few days later the cover had updated in the shop but it didn't update on my Nook.

I've tried archiving it and 'refreshing' (hitting the arrows key for most recent) but it hasn't updated yet.

Moving forward I'll hold off making purchases of items until the cover is viewable in the thumb, it's not that big of a deal but it is annoying.

Many thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Blank Thumbnail Icon instead of cover.

I do not have my Nook with me right now; so can not try to duplicate your action.  However, try this.  Archive the book.  Then, go to "Library", "My Stuff", "Archived" and long press the book.  The dialog box will offer the choice to "Unarchive" select that action and the book and cover should download from the B&N server.  Hope this helps.

New User
juggernaut975
0 Kudos

Tried that, archived the book on the nook,went to library, unarchived it.

I'm hoping that in the days that follow it will update, until then I guess I could keep trying archiving/unarchiving but I'm not sure.

New User
Reno_Calavera
0 Kudos

Another option you could try is to archive and unarchive through the website rather than through the device itself.

New User
juggernaut975
0 Kudos

Tried that as well, no go.

So we've done the Archive/Unarchive.

We've done the 'refresh' option (using the arrows).

We've archived, shut device off, turned on, unarchived.

We've archived from site, unarchived from site.

And we've archived from site, unarchived from device.

Nothing's worked.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

What will work, if you want to go through the hassle, is to unregister and reregister the tablet. That's about the only way I have ever been able to "most" get covers to download if they were not available when I first purchased a book from B&N. Once in a while, archiving and unrchiving works, but not very often.

There is a thread on getting covers to show up by using Calibre. I haven't tried it, but you may wish to try. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

There is a thread on getting covers to show up by using Calibre. I haven't tried it, but you may wish to try. 

Calibre will work for ebooks you've acquired that are not from B&N (ie, no DRM), but it won't work for nook books purchased through B&N (at least that's been my experience).  Great program though.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
New User
lyn_c
0 Kudos

Do you still have this issue with your NOOK?  I just obtained a pre-owned certified one because of the problem with greyed out icons.  But my "new" one is doing the same thing.  Not as many icons are greyed out.  I'm beginning to think it's a wi-fi issue.  Anyone out there have the same problem?  thanks!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I have the problem with a few apps.

Not with books.

It can't be a wifi problem. If it was a wifi problem then the download would fail. It has to be a server side problem i.e. they aren't sending you the cover OR a Nook side problem i.e. the Nook isn't displaying the  cover correctly.

New User
lyn_c
0 Kudos

That makes sense that it wouldn't be a wi-fi issue.  But I've taken my NOOK to the B&N store where, miraculously, the covers would appear.  I realize it's not a major issue since I can still read the books and use my apps.  It's still annoying.  Thanks for your response.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's really strange. I can't think of why covers would appear in the B&N Store.