Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl
0 Kudos

Bugs/Glitches with the NT

I don't know if these problems are an issue with my NT or if others are having the same problems, but one of the issues i'm having is the the pages not turning.  Lets say I'm on page 195 & I try to go to the next page, when i swipe, it won't move.  It stays on the same page & won't go any farther, so I use the "go to page" feature and manually input the next page number and it still won't move past the page its on or it will go to the next page, but then when I try to swipe to the next page it jumps back to the page it was orginally stuck on.  Sometimes I have to tell it to move 2 or 3 pages ahead before it will start turning pages again correctly.  This has happened while reading 3 different books so far.

Another bug, last night when I was reading, wifi was turned off, just reading a book, an error message popped up.  I don't remember what it said, but something about "an error has occurred"  & to force close.  And so when I I touched the force close button, another error message popped up.  I don't know what that was about.  I wasn't doing anything but reading a book. 

I had my NC for a year and never had the bugs/glitches that i've been having with the NT.  Is anyone else experiencing any of these issues???

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Bugs/Glitches with the NT

You probably know this already but the first thing to check when things appear wonky is if it's a memory issue.  Clear web browser caches and cookies, histories, and power off completely.  Then see if it's still doing it.  I have experienced the page turning thing on my NC with one enhanced ebook.  I think it is a memory issue, but you might try checking whether page turning animation is on or off and select whichever is not selected.  I do know there was a problem for some people with the Jackie Kennedy enhanced ebook and changing the page turn animation setting helped.  I don't remember the specific problem it addressed, though.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl
0 Kudos

I haven't used my NT to do anything but read books so far -- haven't used it to surf the web or anything else to where I would need to clear cookies, histories, etc... Also, the books I was reading were just plain 'ole ebooks--no enhanced ebooks, but I will check to see my page turn animation setting.  Next time I will power cycle it off & see if it resolves.

Contributor
wtherrell
0 Kudos

When I try to reply in these forums from my NOOK tablet the cursor jumps around and will not go back into the text where I touch the screen. Does not exhibit this problem in composing or replying to email. Extremely annoying!!    Need a keyboard with cursor direction arrows such as SWYPE or some of the others have.

Frequent Contributor
555aaa
0 Kudos

We have the same problem with the Nook Color Tablet  SW version 1.3.0 (very recent) when reading epub (books) with either long paragraphs or tall images. For example, an epub file which has a picture in a text flow, where the picture is TALLER than the reader, will render the picture, but when you swipe to go to the next page, it thinks there still a bit of that picture left, so it redraws the whole picture. The same thing seems to happen with long paragraphs (even if the long paragraph is not on the page you're viewing but elsewhere in the flow) - the Nook seems to get stuck in a loop sometimes trying to recalculate where to make the next paragraph break. When we put the identical files on the Kindle or ipad, no problem. The epub files need to be specifically tailored for the Nook to prevent this problem from happening, or the nook SW needs to be updated to fix this. Also the page numbering display is useless.

If you're not stuck on a big picture page, you could try shrinking the font size, which forces the SW to recalclate where the paragraphs break relative to the pages.

I consider this actually to be a pretty unsatisfactory situation.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Umm ... if you have a Nook Tablet, then Version 1.3.0 of the Software is not recent.  I believe that 1.4.2 is now current. 

Do you have a different model of NOOK?

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

blueyedirishgrl wrote:

I don't know if these problems are an issue with my NT or if others are having the same problems, but one of the issues i'm having is the the pages not turning.  Lets say I'm on page 195 & I try to go to the next page, when i swipe, it won't move.  It stays on the same page & won't go any farther, so I use the "go to page" feature and manually input the next page number and it still won't move past the page its on or it will go to the next page, but then when I try to swipe to the next page it jumps back to the page it was orginally stuck on.  Sometimes I have to tell it to move 2 or 3 pages ahead before it will start turning pages again correctly.  This has happened while reading 3 different books so far.

You've probably already tried this, but have you powered your nook completely off, and then restarted it?  I had a similar thing happen to me once.  Powering down and then restarting it, fixed the problem.

Also, is it one book that you're having problems with?  I've also had issues with a couple of books that I had sideloaded.  The books themselves were at fault.  If it's a B&N book, you can try archiving it, and then un-archiving it to see if that has any affect on it.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Czechboy wrote:

blueyedirishgrl wrote:

You've probably already tried this, but have you powered your nook completely off, and then restarted it?  I had a similar thing happen to me once.  Powering down and then restarting it, fixed the problem.

Also, is it one book that you're having problems with?  I've also had issues with a couple of books that I had sideloaded.  The books themselves were at fault.  If it's a B&N book, you can try archiving it, and then un-archiving it to see if that has any affect on it.

Umm ... Did you see the date of her post?

It looks to me like Lithium might have "scrambled" some of the messages again.  It seemed to happen last night about Midnight Eastern Time.  I wonder if it has anything to do with backing up the database.