New User
robertkjr3d
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Chinese Fonts on nook

I have not made a purchase as of yet.

I was interested to know:  Whether the Nook Tablet would have any trouble copy and pasting - chinese-fonts from the web to a Word Doc - Will I be able to see the SimSun font or other Chinese fonts at all in Word docs? I am from the Windows world.  I am used to using Windows Mobile devices, and have not bridged over into the world of Android or IPhone.  I am a software developer. I understand chinese fonts in EPUBs might be an issue.  That you may have to hack the device.  That isn't a big deal to me.  I'm not sure how many EPUBs i'll be using with chinese fonts I'll be using anyway.  But I will be using PDFs that have Chinese in them, that I will want to copy some characters out of.  Also Pinyin (which is like latin)  What I don't want to happen is to copy a document from the Windows box to my Nook, and it come up all ???????? because it can't read it.  and I'm thinking why did i buy this? 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: Chinese Fonts on nook

Don't know how far you have gotten with your research on this.  My suggestions would be:

1) Check out the Nook Tablet General Discussion area and look for posts from Tom51 from early to mid-December 2012.  He figured out how to sideload the necessary Chinese characters needed for e-pubs (but this was prior to the sideload door being closed.) 

2) Contact the support desk at eZpdf regarding whether or not his app will support the characters you need to copy and paste. (Read somewhere that he is very responsive, and he has definitely made some nice improvements to his app since it was originally released.)

Only other comment would be, IMO, while copying and pasting from a pdf to a word doc is possible (latin characters anyway), it's a bit cumbersome. It's ok on a one-off basis for occasional use, but it you're going to be doing a lot of it, you might find a keyboard and mouse more efficient.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

If the OP is willing to put some small sample documents up on rapidshare or dropbox I'm more than happy to take a look.  I have the NST, the NT and the NC right now, all running rooted stock so I can look at how each behaves. 

My memory is that Tom51s work was exclusive to Pinyin, but I'm not 100% on that. 

It seemed like one key thing was just to make the font accessible to the device, but I have the feeling that the wrinkle about Pinyin being a Latin font is probably pretty important.  Android itself has very good multilanguage support, and BN has chosen not to support almost any of that, which I find disappointing.  However, if it's pretty simple to reenable the functionality that would be great and I'm more than happy to take a run at looking at it.  

The caveat is that I'm pretty busy at the office just now, so if someone has some demo docs to point me to, please let me know via PM as well as posting. 

And if you also have a source for downloading the fonts themselves and a suggestion about where they should live, that'd be cool - I suspect they'll need to be added back in. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I know precious little about representing Chinese characters, other than that there are a number of ways to do it.

But as an experiment, I found a Chinese text and saved that as a Word doc, then converted it to both PDF and epub formats.

The epub one is unreadable, but that might well be fixable if I understood what fonts to add to Android.

Both the pdf and the doc are readable, zoomable, etc.  ezPDF is letting me copy text from the PDF and paste it into a QuickOffice Pro document. 

I am not able to copy text (in English, either) from the browser.  I think that's new;  I'd thought the old NC browser did support copying, but I could be wrong.

Links to the test files I created, in case anyone has a use for these for additional testing:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1bzinfhzk63lefi

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?x3ibd3z84lgiifj

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
Tom51
0 Kudos

What I did was to tweak the css file by using Calibre when I convert to epub format.  I didn't have to hack NT or change/add fonts to NT because my epub fails over to fond file DroidSansFallback.ttf which comes with NT installed.  This works for both simplified and traditional Chinese epubs.  I also have a quite few Chinese pdf documents and they read fine on NT. 

I don't know whether NT support doc/docx.  However with Word 2010 you can easily convert/save doc/docx to pdf and sideload to NT.  Or with a little more efforts you can add toc and save the doc/docx to html, then tweak h1, h2 h3 ... with Calibre, and import the final html to Calibre and convert it to epub.  This epub will have a nice table of contents for indexing the chapters. 

Epub, in my opinion, is a much friendlier format to read on NT then pdf.  I've never tried to copy/cut/paste Chinese from web to Word on NT, so I have no clue.

Below is the css codes I put into Calibre for epub conversion.  You can customize it to fit your own needs.

<@font-face {

font-family: "Arial", "SimSun", "Times New Roman", "MingLiU", "PMingLiU", "Cambria", "Consolas", "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

font-weight: normal;

font-style: normal;

src: url('res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf');

}

@font-face {

font-family: "Arial", "SimSun", "Times New Roman", "MingLiU", "PMingLiU", "Cambria", "Consolas", "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

font-weight: bold;

}

@font-face {

font-style: italic;

}

@font-face {

font-weight: bold;

font-style: italic;

}

Tom51
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I downloaded your doc file and converted it into an epub with table of contents (of a forward and two chapters).  I sideloaded it up to my NT and it reads well.

If I knew how to make it an attachment, you could then download it and give it a try on your device.

Never mind, I figured out why not use www.mediafire.com :smileyvery-happy:  Here is the link to the epub file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g6bssb2wd5b658b

roustabout
0 Kudos

Tom, I have a question, I think it's obvious to you, but not to me.

I looked at your CSS and thought "what if I had that installed as a default for all of my books?  Would the fonts be selected correctly whether the books were in English or Chinsese?"

Then I tried opening a book in Sigil, and realized you'd written these were "the css codes I put into Calibre for epub conversion"

Where do you put them? 

I'm looking, and the most obvious place is

Convert ...  Look and Feel...  Extra CSS

which is a good-sized free-text field. 

Is that where you put the CSS?  And is there a way to make Calibre always use that CSS?  I just tried converting a (non-Chinse) title with your CSS and it had no effect, meaning, I could read my output.  I then converted my own PDF file, and it did use Chinse fonts, which suggests I'm close - but it would be great, I would think, for folks with Chinese in their library to be able to have that CSS be saved, and I didn't see an obvious way to save it. 

Tom51
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Tom, I have a question, I think it's obvious to you, but not to me.

I looked at your CSS and thought "what if I had that installed as a default for all of my books?  Would the fonts be selected correctly whether the books were in English or Chinsese?"

That should work out fine for English books, since I use that same set of CSS additions for English EPUB conversion.

Then I tried opening a book in Sigil, and realized you'd written these were "the css codes I put into Calibre for epub conversion"

Where do you put them? 

I'm looking, and the most obvious place is

Convert ...  Look and Feel...  Extra CSS

which is a good-sized free-text field. 

Is that where you put the CSS?  And is there a way to make Calibre always use that CSS?  I just tried converting a (non-Chinse) title with your CSS and it had no effect, meaning, I could read my output.  I then converted my own PDF file, and it did use Chinse fonts, which suggests I'm close - but it would be great, I would think, for folks with Chinese in their library to be able to have that CSS be saved, and I didn't see an obvious way to save it. 

You can do it for individual book as you described - by setting it through Convert -> Look and Feel -> Extra CSS.

To apply to all conversions, it's in the Extra CSS field through the path of Reference -> Common Options -> Look & Feel.  When you set up here, the setting becomes the defaults and applies to all EPUB conversions. 

Down the page of Convert -> Look & Feel -> Extra CSS, there is a check for "Restore Defaults" and that will restore to the values set through the path of Reference -> Common Options -> Look & Feel.

When converting with Calibre you can set "Debug" mode.  The log of debug will show you all fonts used in the original book.  You just need to add those fonts giving you trouble to the CSS list.  For example if font "xyz" cause problem, you can add it to the CSS as in the following example:

<@font-face {

font-family: "Arial", "xyz", "SimSun", "Times New Roman", "MingLiU", "PMingLiU", "Cambria", "Consolas", "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;

}

I believe this works for any font that is supported by DroidSansFallback.ttf including many Chinese fonts.  I don't have a rooted NT nor another Android device, so I don't know exactly what fonts are supported by this font file though.