Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Correct way to exit apps? Do I need an app killer?

I downloaded Jellyflop, last week's Free Friday App and to exit the game, I have been pressing the "n" on my Nook Tablet to return to the home page.  Is there a better way?

Also, I recall seeing posts by 5ivedom recommending an app killer and would like to know if it is the one called App Killer by Pixatel.  As I begin to run more apps, I assume this is something I might need? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Correct way to exit apps? Do I need an app killer?

Try the back button. In the underlying Android system, exiting via the back button is supposed to quit the app, as opposed to just putting it in the background, which the home (and 'n' button) do.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Try the back button. In the underlying Android system, exiting via the back button is supposed to quit the app, as opposed to just putting it in the background, which the home (and 'n' button) do.

Thanks! This particular game doesn't have a back button, so I assume the back swipe is what I should try?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Yes, try the backswipe. (Once you get used to it, you will miss it on other devices.) If an app has an exit feature/button, use that instead.

The App Killer is nice to have if/when your device starts to misbehave (ie when you are suddenly getting less battery life and are trying to figure out why.) Some apps can run in the background and dont use any battery because they are asleep; some like to phone home way to often.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

TarHeelGirl, yes App Killer by Pixatel is the app I was talking about.

It's a good idea to have it for two reasons

1) To find out what's causing the issue if you have an issue.

2) To run it once in a while and find out if you have some app misbehaving and/or running when it shouldn't.

Frequent Contributor
Raven2099
0 Kudos

N button, backswipe... personalli think the app killer app should be free since it's free on several app markets...
make my nook suck less
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Raven2099 wrote:
N button, backswipe... personalli think the app killer app should be free since it's free on several app markets...

The App Killer Pro by Pixatel is $0.99 in the Google Play Store. The App Killer by Pixatel is $0.99 in the B&N App Store. There is a free version in the Google Play Store, but that one is ad-sponsored. I find it conterproductive to run a tool that is supposed to help reduce battery consumption, yet itself requires Internet access to serve ads, thereby increasing battery consumption.

You should not normally need an app killer in Android 2.2+.