Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: Dear Barnes & Noble

SandyCWV wrote:

I fit into the group "1" people from one of the replies below - I like the NT for what it is and does. The thing is, I was not even slightly interested in buying a Nook Touch or a Kindle when the only thing I could do with them was read books. Once the manufactures included some additional useful featurer I jumped at it. Having the additional options allows me to carry a device that has multiple purposes. I can read, check my work blocked websites on an open wi-fi during lunch, play a game while waiting around somewhere, carry pictures around, and not have to do all that on a 3" phone screen while paying data fees! I love it!

But, couldn't you do that on any of the other adroid devices already out there, or an iPad, just as easily?  B&N is a bookstore, first and foremost.  I can understand them putting out a reading device.  I can even understand them putting out a reading device with other functionality.  But, I don't really understand why they would want to get into the software app business, when there are already people out there doing it, and seem to be doing it better. 

The best analogy I can think of is if a landscaper suddenly decides to at roofing to their business.  But, you can only choose from 3-tab shingles in a limited number of colors-oh, and BTW you have to get your yard landscaped first.  I just doesn't make much sense to me unless they want to get away from selling books.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

What B&N gets right (hardware)

rozsea wrote:

[...] 

I actually bought a 7" Galaxy Tab Plus to see what I was missing.  I returned it and went back to the Nook Tablet, to which I added an N2A card.  There were several reasons for that decision.  One was that I just liked the Nook screen better; less glare.  Also, the salesman for the Galaxy scared me with visions of the thing shattering if dropped.  He said it was much more fragile than the Nook. 

The Galaxy Tab has the same side-to-side glass the Kindle Fire does, so I suspect it suffers the same frailties. (There's a name for it that escapes me at the moment.) There are some YouTube videos of drop tests comparing the NOOK Tablet to the Kindle Fire. While the KF sports Gorilla Glass, the design is susceptible to drops on the glass itself, whereas the bezel on the NOOK provides additional protection. The only downside is that screenpresses right up against the bezel can be trickly.

That doesn't worry me too much, as no matter what sort of protection I try for my device, they'll always land in the one way that they can still be damaged. I've come to think of those events as "upgrade time".

New User
DonC64
0 Kudos

Main competitors?  Like Google?  Who created the Android OS?  Who B&N take the apps to sell on their market site? That 'main' competitor?

Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Temetka wrote:

Barnes and Noble is doing their best to offer apps on the Color and Tablet.

What it appears is that a lot of people want to purchase apps from B&N's main competitors.

Hey, I might buy apps from B&N if they had the apps I'm looking for!!!  But no, their marketplace is filled with useless, poorly developed and overpriced.  So don't be surprised if I'd like to put somebody else's product in.  And with the lobotomized, locked down architecture, no developer is going to waste their time & money validating their apps to B&N's satisfaction simply because B&N want to be a-holes.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

jelabarre59 wrote:

[...] Hey, I might buy apps from B&N if they had the apps I'm looking for!!!  But no, their marketplace is filled with useless, poorly developed and overpriced CRAP.  So don't be surprised if I'd like to put somebody else's product in.  And with the lobotomized, locked down architecture, no developer is going to waste their time & money validating their apps to B&N's satisfaction simply because B&N want to be a-holes.

While it's not my favorite, TouchDown is an example of an Android app that fills a niche for those that need access to Exchange email with corporate security features. Unfortunately, while the publisher has gone through the process of adding their product to the B&N App Store, B&N isn't making their life any easier.

Not only does B&N feel that it's up to us customers to get publishers to get apps into the B&N store, but also that they should decide who gets updates when. It seems we can't do enough for them.

New User
Sam_Benade
0 Kudos

Nook makes a big marketing error that avoids, and is better off for it! See, Amazon NEVER calls itself a tablet. Other people, magazines, and reviews say "Kindle Fire Tablet", But if you read the description, they NEVER use the term "Tablet" to describe the Kindle Fire. Nook on the other hand flat out uses it in their title "NOOK TABLET". This gives people a false ideaology.

Between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet - I had to think about it at first, but it didn't take much time. I like Amazons selection of video, music, and books. I knew that neither of these devices where tablet, and so it seemed arbitrary to me to get the Nook tablet - they don't have as good of a selection. That's to be expected, Barnes and Noble only sell books, they don't sell much else other than cheap puzzles. Amazon has been in the game of selling... everything for years now. They are just a few steps ahead.

Don't buy it for the device, buy it for the SUPPORT the device gets. I personally like the Amazon Prime/ General selection amazon has much more than I do of Nook. Some people really like Nook. If you're 

Advice for people considering to buy a Nook tablet or Kindle Fire:buying a normal E-Reader, I suggest you go with Nook because BN has a one up on books, but, if you're for media consumption, you have to think about it.